No Browsing But smooth Downloading , Why?

AA Guyz,

Before upgrade everything was fine , but after the upgrade (512k -> 1 mb) I am having browsing problems from last 3,4 weeks. First I did't take it serious , as restarting the modem used to fix the issue , but now its happening so often that I even cant open a google page , but my downloading is working fine. I have a Shiro DSL 805EU modem, I read in this forum somewhere regarding the same issue, so I have applied the conflicker patch on my XP and have also upgraded the firmware of my modem. Now its 121.100.1i. (some one has 134 ???)

But after the upgrade my problem is still there , sometimes I have to restart my modem several times before I could even open google page.

My modem status is as:

Modem Status

Modem Status

Connection Status Connected

Us Rate (Kbps) 509

Ds Rate (Kbps) 1021

US Margin 9

DS Margin 25

Trained Modulation ADSL_2plus

LOS Errors 0

DS Line Attenuation 40

US Line Attenuation 12

Peak Cell Rate 1200 cells per sec

CRC Rx Fast 0

CRC Tx Fast 0

CRC Rx Interleaved 0

CRC Tx Interleaved 0

Path Mode Interleaved

DSL Statistics

Near End F4 Loop Back Count 0

Near End F5 Loop Back Count 0

Any help will be very appreciated.

Thanks.

Is this on one PC or many?

How do you connect to the internet?

How do you get your IP address?

-------------------------------------------------------------

I take it you already have checked that you are not using a proxy with a different port and also no firewall is blocking the traffic.

You could try resetting the TCP/IP stack

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

And Winsock

netsh winsock reset catalog

Please check if your antivirus or firewall is not blocking port 80. All internet browsers use port 80 for http connections.

I am using on one PC only, and firewall is not blocking port 80.

Problem is sometimes it happens that my torrents are downloading n uploading all good but I can't seems to open a page. And then I have to restart my modem, (somtimes 2,3 times) to fix this issue.

Do you think my modem stats r ok ?

Thanks.

from your modem's stats, I don't see any issue which would result in browsing problem.

Which OS are u using? When did you installed it last time?

I m using XP SP3 and installed may be 2 months ago.

Couple of weeks ago I also installed CFosSpeed V4.5 ... to improve my broadband performance...

But the browsing issue does't happen always.

I was reading your posts regarding OpenDS , I m gonna give try to OpenDS... may that could help.

Thanks

I am just finished with OpenDNS , and after that I have to restart my modem for 3 times , just to get my modem site page ( http://192.168.1.1/ ) ... so its not the DNS issue...

Any suggestions plz...... ?

Thanks

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I am just finished with OpenDNS , and after that I have to restart my modem for 3 times , just to get my modem site page ( http://192.168.1.1/ ) … so its not the DNS issue…

Any suggestions plz… ?

Thanks

[/quote]

Did you put OpenDNS addresses in modem?

You could have put it in your computer’s LAN setting itself since you’re only using one PC.

If you mingle with those ‘innocent’ and ‘brainless’ PTCL modems, they will get confused pretty easily and will take alot of time to adjust themselves. So, it’s always recommended to change DNS addresses in Routers or PC’s LAN settings (IPv4).

Do remember that DNS requests use port 53 by default, so OpenDNS use PTCL’s DNS to reach OpenDNS’s DNS.

Do remember that DNS requests use port 53 by default, so OpenDNS use PTCL’s DNS to reach OpenDNS’s DNS.

[/quote]

are you sure about this, would any pro wiredpakistani confirm this

are you sure about this, would any pro wiredpakistani confirm this

[/quote]

It’s not that hard to confirm it. Do a bit of googling and you’ll find out for yourself. It’s also one way of blocking unauthorized users from your network… by blocking port 53 access. You might find this option in Access Restrictions of some popular routers. I can give you a screenshot if you want!

I have tried using OpenDNS directly in my DNS Proxy in my Shiro modem and also in LAN settings. But it did't work in either case. Confusing thing for me is that when its having problems , why it even can't open http://192.168.1.1 ??? ... It should not look to DNS to resolve local host ???

So what should I do next ?

But plz note that when its browsing OK , then it really working OK.. like I can watch youtube videos easily without any buffering... and when its having problems I even can't open a google page........

I have tried using OpenDNS directly in my DNS Proxy in my Shiro modem and also in LAN settings. But it did’t work in either case. Confusing thing for me is that when its having problems , why it even can’t open http://192.168.1.1 ??? … It should not look to DNS to resolve local host ???

But plz note that when its browsing OK , then it really working OK… like I can watch youtube videos easily without any buffering… and when its having problems I even can’t open a google page…

[/quote]

i am also facing same sort of problems :(

that's why I exchanged that crap (Shiro) modem with ZTE 831

another thing, goto nearest exchange and shout them that u r going to disconnect DSL if they do not solve the problem n u r done! :D

I have tried using OpenDNS directly in my DNS Proxy in my Shiro modem and also in LAN settings. But it did’t work in either case. Confusing thing for me is that when its having problems , why it even can’t open http://192.168.1.1 ??? … It should not look to DNS to resolve local host ???

But plz note that when its browsing OK , then it really working OK… like I can watch youtube videos easily without any buffering… and when its having problems I even can’t open a google page…

[/quote]

Put Open DNS in your PC network adapter TCP/IPv4, leave the ones in the modem to default. You PC will look at the DNS entries on your adapter first.

I am also experiencing browsing problems on and off for the last 3-4 days. I think PTCL techs are either upgrading or working at their end.

pure DNS issue

browsing is totally dependent on DNS

but downloading is not.