New Ubuntu Release

I posted this in the Linux tips & tricks section last night, but no one responded, so I thought this news is big enough to have it's own thread.

Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala is released. Though Canonical cut off my Ubuntu supply, I'll still root for it.

Ubuntu 9.10 'Karmic Koala' released, could decide your OS fate [engadget.com]

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
It's October 2009 which means something very special for Linux fans: a 9.10 release of Ubuntu. Today we see the launch of "Karmic Koala" featuring a faster graphical boot sequence (no more scary text scrolls), a revamped audio framework that improves sound control across multiple applications, and a new Software Center that visually simplifies the Add/Remove Applications tool. These are just a few of the user-centric improvements meant to have a "transformative effect" on the OS experience and help bring "the world of open source closer to the user." It's available in desktop, server, and netbook editions now so get to it, before you know it you'll be updating to Lucid Lynx.
[/quote]

Ubuntu 9.10 Officially Released [slashdot.org]

The latest version of Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) has been released. Offering numerous enhancements for both desktop and server environments, this release includes notable features like Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud images, the Ubuntu One "personal cloud", and Linux kernel version 2.6.31. Please be sure to use a release mirror close to your geographic location to help reduce the stress on Ubuntu's primary servers; using BitTorrent for downloads can help alleviate the load even more. If your organization has adequate network and server resources, please consider hosting a mirror as well.
[/quote]

See below for links to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

I saw your post last night, put it as my signature today, well, Its good news. I have put it for download & also ordered a CD.

BTW, not only Ubuntu 9.10, but Kubuntu 9.10 Xubuntu 9.10 & Edubuntu 9.10 were all released yesterday.

Probably the reason no one replied to your original post is that Ubuntu releases a new version every six months and its just not that big a deal any more! :)

As for 9.10, I upgraded from 9.04 and it seems to be running fine for the most part. I do think I need a fresh install though since I seem to be missing a couple things like the Ubuntu One shortcuts. Also there is a rather annoying issue that if you've set your power management options to turn your monitor off after some idle time, the monitor simply refuses to turn back on and you have to reboot. This is only after you've let it stay in the idle state for 5-10 minutes. After some research on Google, I found out some other people have been facing the same problem, so I disabled that option in the power management settings for the time being.

BTW, how many of you guys use Kubuntu or the others? I mean most of us use Ubuntu, i personally prefer Kubuntu over ubuntu due to the elegance.

I used to get both Kubuntu and Ubuntu, but I'd check out Kubuntu and then I'd install Ubuntu over it and keep that. Kubuntu does look really nice but it seems a bit more complicated, don't really know coz I never stuck to it.

Ubuntu releases a new version every six months and its just not that big deal any more!
[/quote]

x2

x2

[/quote]

Compared to the majority of topics discussed on softwares section, i don’t think its really a bad idea to discuss this…

Ubuntu 10.04 is getting a complete GUI makeover: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Brand

Brand?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=boot.png

Brand?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=lighttheme.png

Brand?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=darktheme.png

It looks a lot more like Mac OS X to me. The close/maximize/minimize controls being on the left side is just temporary, it'll be changed back in the final release.

^ Agreed. It looks VERY much like Mac OS X, which is a bit sad since they seem to be copying instead of trying to find their own style. But having said that, it does look very polished and its about time Ubuntu started throwing its weight around as a genuine alternative to mainstream OS's. People tend to be very superficial when it comes to their OS, and are more prone to like pretty flashy interfaces (a big part of the reason why Apple has so many fanboys...).

I think every one has copied Apples interface, and I think its not the first time its happened

^ You give Apple too much credit. Most overrated company of all time. But that is just my opinion. Ubuntu looks fairly promising now, and its nice to see Microsoft has upped their game too. Win 7 was quite successful.

Well i am back to 9.04 as 9.10 can't display my screen with radeon hd2600pro.

I don't use Linux for it's graphics but for stability, but this version seems to have been improved alot . I read somewhere that Linux graphics use alot less resources for providing aero like graphics.

I just got rid of my Ubuntu partition today. Why?

1) the webcam doesn't work too well

2) the FM keys on the laptop - not all of them work.

3) I'm sick of "sudo-ing" every other thing - let alone, for installing Flash and copying the file to Chrome and all that.

Actually, my moot point was point # 3 - if I have to go through so much hassle just to install Flash, I'd rather live on Windows.

I wanted to use Ubuntu... guess I won't be doing so.

I do agree that Ubuntu is really friggin' annoying when installing anything, even a simple web browser but they all have their fair share of problems. Like Windows gets viruses, and if not viruses, it slows down in few months of use (though Vista has been more durable in my case). Right now, I use Ubuntu as a secondary OS, to check removable storage drives for viruses so my Windows doesn't get infected and to backup data incase my Windows gets corrupted.

This Sudo-ing thing the real fun for me. Every time i had to give sudo i searched for it and find details what does it do. Infact it makes us to search more than we do. It makes us discover new things, i never knew of many thing my pc was able to do before i installed ubuntu.

I've also removed viruses outta hundred hDDs with linux. :) ha! ha! ha! None of my friend knows about linux and they think that i'm the genius!!!!! :) D :) this is the fun part.

A little request: Can anybody guide me from where can i get help to get karmic running on hd2600pro. any external links!!! or anything.

This Sudo-ing thing the real fun for me. Every time i had to give sudo i searched for it and find details what does it do. Infact it makes us to search more than we do. It makes us discover new things, i never knew of many thing my pc was able to do before i installed ubuntu.

I’ve also removed viruses outta hundred hDDs with linux. :) ha! ha! ha! None of my friend knows about linux and they think that i’m the genius!!! :) D :) this is the fun part.

A little request: Can anybody guide me from where can i get help to get karmic running on hd2600pro. any external links!!! or anything.

[/quote]

I also use fedora on failing hdd, used bitdefener’s linux rescue cd for removing viruses.

Did I say FM? Whoosy daisy! I meant FN *grin*

I use the LiveCD to remove viruses. That's probably my only use for Linux... I hardly backup and see the need to shift files that are important... cause they're already on a different partition.

I thought I'd run Ubuntu and W7 on a virtual machine... then thought "naaa". No point. Sure Ubuntu's got a MUCH FASTER boot and shutdown speed, but it's... tough!

And I frankly find W7 more stable (and faster - as it's everywhere on the net) than Vista. I'm downloading 27 x64 right now, and I'll install that (with my 2GB memory LOL). I have a licensed Vista Business Edition - but don't have it installed after finding out the recovery partition was destroyed (this is a hand-me-down laptop, and the previous owner's company's IT dept. destroyed it).

Anyway - back on to Ubuntu, one thing I really fancy are the Compiz effects. Nothing beats those!

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is out with a whole new interface and Twitter/Facebook integration. They moved the close/minimize/maximize buttons to the left.

Ubuntu's official download page or try going for a mirror.

Download Lucid Lynx:

1. Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

2. Kubuntu 10.04 LTS

3. Edubuntu 10.04 LTS
  4. Xubuntu 10.04 LTS

Both Ubuntu and Kubuntu have a really nice interface now.

Hi Friend, Is that OS support's other 3rd party software's as windows OS did, like software's and games, I have a old version of ubuntu 6.10

it doesn't support such a software's that windows did. . . . . . ?