New 11.6-inch MacBook Air ripped to pieces, exposing proprietary parts

The entire world saw the 13-inch MacBook Air exposed to the elements before it was announced on stage, but its 11.6-inch younger brother is just now getting the teardown treatment. iFixit tore the tiny machine asunder, and found even more miniature battery packs nestled in its 0.68-inch-thick frame. Like Apple's previous Air, the components here are proprietary, and the 2GB memory module's actually soldered to the board -- some tradeoffs had to be made for miniaturization, we suppose, and we can't deny the result is a beautiful machine inside and out. On the plus side, the Toshiba solid state drive seems to be modular, so there's some modest upgrade potential there if you can find a supplier of the mini-SATA boards. Still, kids -- don't try this at home.

:/

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

so there’s some modest upgrade potential there if you can find a supplier of the mini-SATA boards. Still, kids – don’t try this at home.
[/quote]

hmm… i kind of find it little funny, if someone is buying this 13 inch or 11 inch decently premium priced computer and can shell out 1000 to 1500 dollars then why that person would mess around by doing DIY operation on that laptop, spending couple of hundred dollars extra to get the company upgraded laptop wouldn’t make him/her go bankrupt.

if it was 300 dollar netbook then i guess that would be something else since many of us buy those not just because its our first choice but it fits in the budget, so it comes down to money for many for us, DIY upgrade on netbook would be justfied and worth the hassle to save money.

and as for ifixit, they tear down any apple product out of curiosity and for the fun of it, this what they have doing for last 3 years

The entire world saw the 13-inch MacBook Air exposed to the elements before it was announced on stage, but its 11.6-inch younger brother is just now getting the teardown treatment. iFixit tore the tiny machine asunder, and found even more miniature battery packs nestled in its 0.68-inch-thick frame. Like Apple’s previous Air, the components here are proprietary, and the 2GB memory module’s actually soldered to the board – some tradeoffs had to be made for miniaturization, we suppose, and we can’t deny the result is a beautiful machine inside and out. On the plus side, the Toshiba solid state drive seems to be modular, so there’s some modest upgrade potential there if you can find a supplier of the mini-SATA boards. Still, kids – don’t try this at home.
[/quote]

The post is copied word for word from Engadget’s article located here:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/21/new-11-6-inch-macbook-air-ripped-to-shreds-exposing-proprietary/

Whats the point??

Whats the point??
[/quote]

i guess the Dolface point is to show noob members like me that on computer how copy and paste function works…

on serious note, i am out of this thread, to me OP has lost his credibility in his first post.

haha I know what is he/she up to. This is prologue to spam!