NEPRA issues new power tarriff for Karachiites

NEPRA issues new power tarriff for Karachiites

Thursday, October 09, 2008

KARACHI: National Electric Power Regulatory Authority (NEPRA) has issued the notification of new tariff, under which, consumers will have to bare electricity burden by 70 per cent, forcing the people to pay bills twice of the previous rate.

The new tariff will be effective from September 1, 2008.

Consumers using electricity up to 100 units will have to pay Rs 4.97 per unit excluding tax while those consuming 100 to 300 units will have to pay Rs 6.13 per unit, those utilising 300 to 1000 units will have to pay Rs 8.58 per unit and the people consuming more than 1,000 units will have to pay Rs 9.80 per unit.

Hence, consumers using up to 100 units will have to pay around Rs700 including taxes.

Thus, this burden on consumers will almost be doubled than their current bills.

Commercial consumers consuming up to 100 units would pay Rs 9.93 per unit while those consuming 100 to 300 units would pay Rs10.04 per unit.

Industrial consumers consuming 400 megawatts off -pack will have to pay Rs 8.05 per unit while those using full pack will have to pay Rs 8.15 per unit.

It is worth mentioning here that the Karachi Electric Supply Corporation (KESC) had sent the summary of the increased tarrif in the months of April and July, which was rejected by the government.

Why don't they just nuke Karachi to put an end to our misery!?

One should pay the cost of what one consumes. Asking the Govt to subsidize is akin to asking the tax payer to pay for it; that is YOU. After all, govt revenues come from what you pay as taxes. So the question is, "Why should YOU be paying MY bill"?

to cut the story short: Live within your means.

common man this is the result of govt mismanagement. We as Pakistanis do not overconsume electricity at all, just for information our per person electricity consumption is very low (345.00 kWh/capita) compared to a lot of countries.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

The new tariff will be effective from September 1, 2008.
[/quote]

they will implement the new tariff in previous month’s bill (semptember) which has been announced on october 9, new heights of *****pai!

common man this is the result of govt mismanagement. We as Pakistanis do not overconsume electricity at all, just for information our per person electricity consumption is very low (345.00 kWh/capita) compared to a lot of countries.
[/quote]

i agree with you, its poor planning on government’s part any illeterate idiot could have seen this scenario many years back but these guys didnt or maybe didnt take any steps to prevent it, becuase the government at that time thought our government isnt gonna stay for that long why bother

[/quote]

yes, govt mismanagement to the extent that subsidy was provided with good intentions but with disastrous results for all to see and face.

Paying the bills is an issue. If you consume more you pay more.

more bills=more inflation=more jobless people=more street crimes=more decoit.

damnt it man where this country gona goo ALLAH SAVE US!

higher bills have few advantages too:

1) Power companies will be payed their due on proper times.

2) People (only few) will try to save electricity

3) Load-shedding will decrease

’]3) Load-shedding will decrease
[/quote]

sure :confused:

’]higher bills have few advantages too:

[/quote]

I dont believe number 3… It has never happened, I don’t see it happening not anytime soon.

^ infact i think it will increase load shedding because people will just switch to Kundas

and this in turn will cause more load shedding

[/quote]

agreed but people need to reduce demand and the best way is to reduce usage to the extent possible.

Currently electricity being produced through oil is so expensive that WAPDA/KESC is unable to pay the oil bill and at the end of the chain the refineries are unable to pay for importing the crude oil. Govt. has no money. It has therefore has decided to reduce producing expensive electricity since consumers are not paying back the actual cost of producing it.

After seeing all this, i think Kalabagh dam was necessary to build. Atleast it could have provided electricity to Sindh. I don't know why some people are against it. India has constructed more than 100 new dams and no one came in the way of govt. I think some political agents don't want to see our country progressing that is why they misled our people. It been many years since many govt tried to build Kalabagh dam but coudn't. We had to face this day and even worse if we dont do so now.

[/quote]

I would like to reword those…rather optimistic thoughts from a pessimistic point of view.

1) Power companies will NOT be paid their dues on time. The list of defaulters will increase

2) Only few People who were trying to save electricity will join the ranks of “kunda” system users.

• i.e.; bijli-chori will increase

3) Load-Shedding will increase. It may as well turn into Load-Enabling (e.g. two hours of electricity & 22 hours of outage in 24 hours)

• Please note that in my opinion, government officials and shanty town folk are the same when it comes to electricitiy. Both use it recklessly & do not pay a dime for it.

One should pay the cost of what one consumes. Asking the Govt to subsidize is akin to asking the tax payer to pay for it; that is YOU. After all, govt revenues come from what you pay as taxes. So the question is, “Why should YOU be paying MY bill”?

to cut the story short: Live within your means.

[/quote]

I don’t believe in this government subsidizing @$#^& … Running a gas generator is much cheaper than KESC !

And by the way - only Karachi is facing this increase in electricity charges and not other cities