Need to share internet Wirelessly

I am using Maxcom Dsl with shiro modem.. The Shiro modem is connected to a wireless router and from the router i have connected 4 PC's using wired ports on the router.. The wireless of the router has stopped working.

I dont know why its not working, It just doesnt work anymore.. none of my devices pick up the Wifi signals of the router anymore. So basically, I want to share my internet wirelessly and i dont have the money to buy a new Wireless router.. Im thinking a WLan PCI card can do the same job?.. But the problem is the computer will have to be turned on in order for the WLan card to work (right?) so basically i wont be able to share my internet when my computer is off. Is there any other cheap way to share internet wirelessly?

bluetooth dongles ?

Bluetooth dongles?

Bluetooth dongle

060518115932s.jpg

It could be used to share internet over bluetooth and each dongle costs not more then Rs 250~300, but like you've mentioned the only drawback with this method too is that you would need main pc(with direct wired connection to dsl modem) to be on all the time and the range of bluetooth won't be that impressive either.

I had shared dsl connection via bluetooth and had made a access point for my mobile device to use internet from dsl connection instead of mobile operator's expensive gprs/edge connection but the range wasn't a problem as i mostly used it in my room.

http://www.jonsguides.com/bluetooth/network.html

How to install and configure Bluetooth devices in Windows XP Service Pack 2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883259

How to share your internet connection via Bluetooth to another desktop or laptop

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=1285

^ bluetooth isnt a great method of sharing your internet because the speed is way low as compared to wi-fi and if you have a 2mbit connection or higher your going to have problems reaching the max speed of your connection because around 2mbit is more than the bandwidth that bluetooth has

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I am using Maxcom Dsl with shiro modem… The Shiro modem is connected to a wireless router and from the router i have connected 4 PC’s using wired ports on the router… The wireless of the router has stopped working.

I dont know why its not working, It just doesnt work anymore… none of my devices pick up the Wifi signals of the router anymore. So basically, I want to share my internet wirelessly and i dont have the money to buy a new Wireless router… Im thinking a WLan PCI card can do the same job?.. But the problem is the computer will have to be turned on in order for the WLan card to work (right?) so basically i wont be able to share my internet when my computer is off. Is there any other cheap way to share internet wirelessly?

[/quote]

Same thing happened to my D-Link wired+wireless router (4 ports wired and wireless 802.11b/g). It was under warranty (5 months remaining) so I gave back to shop. He took 1 month to replace it with TP-Link (not even D-Link) with a face like he has constipation.

You better get new router. Router utilize far less electricity than a 24/7 turned on computer.

Same thing happened to my D-Link wired+wireless router (4 ports wired and wireless 802.11b/g). It was under warranty (5 months remaining) so I gave back to shop. He took 1 month to replace it with TP-Link (not even D-Link) with a face like he has constipation.

You better get new router. Router utilize far less electricity than a 24/7 turned on computer.

[/quote]

Was your router by any chance DI-524 ?

Hmm…

Anyway, How do Access points work? Can someone explain ?

Was your router by any chance DI-524 ?

Hmm…

Anyway, How do Access points work? Can someone explain ?

[/quote]

Yes, D-Link DI-524.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_access_point

Any idea where i can get the Aztech DSL605EW ? galaxy dont have it, neither do beliscity.. This is the wireless router that LDN are giving and its a modem, Plus its also a wireless router and has 4 Lan ports so it basically solves all my problems.. Anyone know where i can buy it ?

Any idea where i can get the Aztech DSL605EW ? galaxy dont have it, neither do beliscity… This is the wireless router that LDN are giving and its a modem, Plus its also a wireless router and has 4 Lan ports so it basically solves all my problems… Anyone know where i can buy it ?
[/quote]

well in karachi no info but in lahore hafeez centre i freind of mine got it 1 week before , 4900 rs and yes it solves your all problems

Yes you can buy from LDN. Although with rental if your dsl modem goes bust then they'll replace it free of charge whereas once you buy it then they have no liability except for the normal 10 months warranty.

^ bluetooth isnt a great method of sharing your internet because the speed is way low as compared to wi-fi and if you have a 2mbit connection or higher your going to have problems reaching the max speed of your connection because around 2mbit is more than the bandwidth that bluetooth has
[/quote]

True,like i said range and speed of bluetooth won’t be that impressive but he wanted to know cheapest option and didn’t wanted to spend money for time being so thats the cheapest options i could come up with.

Are you aware of any other cheaper/better option other then buying a cheap wifi router?

Btw with recent release of Bluetooth 3.0 ,it would be eventually used for sharing internet as bandwidth of up to 24Mbps could be achievable.

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/0,1000000085,39643174,00.htm

By the which is the best USB wireless dongle with some extra power to catch signals even of your neighbours and areas ? :P

By the which is the best USB wireless dongle with some extra power to catch signals even of your neighbours and areas ? :P
[/quote]

try this ;)

http://www.chainsawsuit.com/20081003.shtml

in ur WLAN pci card , first enable internet connection sharing and then put your pc ip address in the default gateway in each computer except yours (server)

simple