Need suggestions on a power efficient water suction pump

i need to replace my old suction pump which just gorges itself on electricity with a power efficient one, anyone have any ideas where i can get one? i looked in the usual places but all of them are local brands that are pretty much identical to the one i already own.

with electricity prices becoming unrealistic as well as unbearable I too am now awaiting a suggestion for an energy efficient WASA water line suction pump / motor to deliver water to the tank on third floor of my house.

I hav heard of CHUA (MOUSE) pump however, suggestions and recommendations are always welcomed.

[quote=“xaheer, post:2, topic:7825”]

with electricity prices becoming unrealistic as well as unbearable I too am now awaiting a suggestion for an energy efficient WASA water line suction pump / motor to deliver water to the tank on third floor of my house.

I hav heard of CHUA (MOUSE) pump however, suggestions and recommendations are always welcomed.

[/quote]

1) Try to minimize the losses in motor by choosing an imported (may be 2nd hand) motor because the iron core in imported motors is made of silicon steel

2) Improve the power factor by adding capacitors in parallel with a motor, the amount of capacitance depends on the motor rating.

@Elite

where can i get such an efficient motor in Lahore?

estimated cost involved for the motor and capacitor thing?

You buy imported (used) pumps from Bilal Gunj Market near Daata Darbaar, I have no idea about cost.

To determine the required capacitor value accurately, you need a Power Factor meter but I assume this piece of equipment is out of reach for many users. So a simple workaround is as follows:

1) Install the pump and run it at full load (it should be pumping water)

2) Use an AC clamp type ampere meter to check how many amperes it is drawing.

3) Now start attaching AC 400V capacitors in parallel to motor's AC input. Try with smaller values like 2.2uF and 3.3uF

4) The current drawn from the motor should start decreasing as you add more and more capacitors (everything in parallel)

5) After a certain point, if you add more capacitors the current will start increasing again. You just need to find out the minimum current point and the capacitor value at that current.

6) Now permanently attach the capacitor bank to motor and start saving on electricity.

Capacitors are really cheap and available from electric shops in various values like 2.2uF, 3.3uF, 4uF and 10uF. Any capacitor you use should be AC type with at least 400V rating.

I would suggest you buy one piece of each value and start experimenting. Remember to post your feedback :)

According to my experience, if a capacitor with low capacitance is attached, it slows down the speed of motor. So, power will be saved but one will not be able to pump water as high as 3 floors. Good idea you have given but it's impractical in real life.

[quote=“blogger, post:6, topic:7825”]

According to my experience, if a capacitor with low capacitance is attached, it slows down the speed of motor. So, power will be saved but one will not be able to pump water as high as 3 floors. Good idea you have given but it’s impractical in real life.

[/quote]

Probably you are talking about starter capacitor which is already attached to a motor or a fan. If you lower its value, the fan/motor speed will decrease.

But I am not talking about that capacitor (which is connected in between motor windings), I am mentioning to add more capacitance in parallel with motor’s 220VAC input terminals. The purpose of this capacitor is offset the inductive nature of motor and improve the factor.

This is 100% practicable and used worldwide in almost every industry to improve the power factor.

5 years back i made a control for my Home Water pump still she is running perfect . . .

the problem with our tubewell is that there is a limited water, it drys up just within 5 min the motor starts pumping & the Motor gets AirLocked,

features

-Over/Under Voltage Protection.

-Over Load Protection

-Stops the Motor if its not Pumping Water (Tubewell Dry) then restart after 10mins (enough time for Tubewell to get refilled)

-Purge the Air from the Pump that causes Air Lock Condition

-Time Delay Protection

-Stops Motor if there is any lose connections etc.

-overhead Reservoir Water Level Monitoring (so overhead Tank never overflows)

I developed a state of the Art Algorithm based on Motor Current, no Sensor is required (cheap solution)

Regards

Engr Asad