Need suggestions for a new system

So I've finally decided to ditch my old system and get a new faster one. But before I shop, I need your suggestions as I'm not really a hardware guy myself.

I need following components within 30K budget:

A mother board

A processor

A graphic card

And RAM (at least 2GB)

The rest of stuff I'll take out from my current system.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Motherboard = Intel DG33FB - ~7K

Processor = E6750 to E8400 based on money left over - ~16K max

Gfx card = 8600GT - ~9K (DG33FB has builtin graphics too)

RAM = Corsair 2GB 800MHz - ~2.7K-3K

What do you have to use the system for? Will you (or do you) play games?

Yes, I play games too. Plus, I usually have lots of memory-hog apps opened throughout the day, and they really slow down the system.

Oh and I need a way to spend all the money I'm making! :P

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Yes, I play games too. Plus, I usually have lots of memory-hog apps opened throughout the day, and they really slow down the system.

Oh and I need a way to spend all the money I’m making! :P

[/quote]

Haha, lucky you! Take on some other responsibilities :P

I second what Asad recommended. You may opt for an Asus mainboard though, if you wish to overclock. P5E-VMDO and P5K VM are both good ones IMHO.

Edit: Go for 4gb memory if you plan to use Vista (64-bit).

Haha, lucky you! Take on some other responsibilities :P

I second what Asad recommended. You may opt for an Asus mainboard though, if you wish to overclock. P5E-VMDO and P5K VM are both good ones IMHO.

Edit: Go for 4gb memory if you plan to use Vista (64-bit).

[/quote]

I don’t take responsibilities, but I’ve handed my bank account over to my dad (who is a retired teacher) who takes care of everything.

I won’t be overclocking, because, frankly, I don’t want my new system to end up in kabarya’s shop. :P

Switching to Vista after upgrade is one of the exciting new possibilities, so if takes this much RAM to run, I might shell out some more money to get 4GB RAM.

if u have old 5400 RPM harddrive replace tht too.

Specter, RAM is pretty cheap these days, so getting atleast 4 Gigs of ram, preferabbly a pair of 2 Gig sticks.

for the Processor part, as Asad suggested ... go for either the E6750 (i'm using it and its a great CPU ...but its 65nm, so will suck in a 10-20 more watts on full threshold as compared to the E8400 which is based on 45nm technology...) or the E8400 (or if you could wait till E8300 is available here, it'd be the best bang for the buck)

for the motherboard (since i researched ALOT! app. 2months back when i was about to get my new Machine) ... DG33FB sounds the best option, looking at ur budget. if you play mediocre games .. like TombRaider: Legend, GTA: San Andreas, NFS etc ... the onboard graphics support is enough .... so you could invest the Graphics Card money on a shiny and sexy Casing + a mediocre (4.1-5.1) sound system+ a nice Keyboard Mouse .... (go with the black colour for all the stuff ...the Display, casing and mice ...just a personal preferance ..not pushing you in anyway though :P ... my Machine is in all black ...with silver touches here and there ..)

just go for a bigger HDD with 16MB cache atleast.... .. if any money is left over (which i highly doubt :P it will ) ... then go for branded PSU.

Good Luck!

Specter, RAM is pretty cheap these days, so getting atleast 4 Gigs of ram, preferabbly a pair of 2 Gig sticks.

for the Processor part, as Asad suggested … go for using either E6750 (i’m using it and its a great CPU …but its 65nm, so will suck in a 10-20 more watts on full threshold as compared to the E8400 which is based on 45nm technology…)

for motherboard (since i researched ALOT! app. 2months back when i was about to get my new Machine) … DG33FB sounds the best option. if you play mediocre games … like TombRaider: Legend, GTA: San Andreas, NFS etc … the onboard graphics support is enough …

just go for a bigger HDD with 16MB cache atleast… … if any money is left over (which i highly doubt :P it will ) … then go for branded PSU.

Good Luck!

[/quote]

Use 64Bit Vista if you want to use 4GB ram otherwise you are just wasting money on extra gig ram.

^ well, i am getting around 3.35 Gigs of my ram (using 32-bit) ...but still the extra 350 MBs are of use to me :P .....

i gave vista 64-bit a shot, but the damn version i got was a modified one and vista would take like 3-4 mins to boot up till login screen ...as compared to the sub-50secs boot up time my 32-bit vista takes me. so i rolled back to 32-bit....

btw 64-bit isn't the 'way' for us ppl who are partially stuck in an outdated system.

i couldnt' find 64-bit drivers for my vPTCL phone ... so the 2,3 days i used 64 bit was a PITA.

Yeah i know man.I was trying to install the drivers of VPTCL in my laptop (The software of PTCL) but it was not working so i gave up.

OK, what about PSU? 400 watt is enough for such a system?

I currently have this hard drive http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=bf4099f4fa74c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD&locale=en-US

Is it OK to keep it in the new system? Will it affect the performance negatively?

OK, what about PSU? 400 watt is enough for such a system?
[/quote]

yes but if you can afford get a branded one

I currently have this hard drive http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=bf4099f4fa74c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD&locale=en-US

Is it OK to keep it in the new system? Will it affect the performance negatively?

[/quote]

no it will works great

this is a Sata2 drive which is the latest tech these days

[/quote]

For a little more performance, a SATA-II with 16mb cache will be assistive.

Made first purchase: C2D E8400 for 16K.

Made first purchase: C2D E8400 for 16K.
[/quote]

I admire your patience :lol: … It took you one month to make that first purchase.

Talk about being lazy. I've been planning for this new system for three months, and now it'll take me three more months to actually purchase everything. :D

Guys, what is a "RAID" drive? http://www.shophive.com/shophive/Western-Digital-500GB-ABYS-16MB-CACHE-7200RPM-SATAII-RAID-EDITION-p-3731.pakistan.html

Should I get this?