Need Suggestion for My dead AGS Battery

My AGS - GX165 stopped charging many months ago after just 1 - 1/2 years of operation ,before going offline it was heating like hell for some weeks and consuming a lot of water

I first took my homeage UPS to service center where they confirmed that there are no issues with UPS they however said we have adjusted its charging (I donot know what the hell is that mean)
they also said now go buy a new battery :angry:

I was out of budget at that time also the hot season had changed I didn't bother to take my battery to any technician now the hot season is about to start again and for past many months the battery remained uncharged

I need your suggestion what should I do with my dead battery???

Are there any chances of its recovery??
What about repair aka "plates changing" which cost around Rs.6000?
Thanks .........

96078339_1_1000x700_ags-batteries-to-sel

sell battery at 2500rs..rates vary during season... 2200 rs is accep[table too.

new battery should now be around 11-13k, not sure..

difference of price, would become 8-9k.. repair cost, 6k for just a few cells....

for 3k more you can get a new battery..with warranty, .since battery is the most critical component of the power backup..

so.... Seriously?????

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:2, topic:22036”]

sell battery at 2500rs..rates vary during season... 2200 rs is accep[table too.

new battery should now be around 11-13k, not sure..

difference of price, would become 8-9k.. repair cost, 6k for just a few cells....

for 3k more you can get a new battery..with warranty, .since battery is the most critical component of the power backup..

so.... Seriously?????

[/quote]

Thanks ..... Thats exactly what I wanted to know.......

By the way If I take it to some technician Is there any hope that after changing water + acid it become functional ???

Don't do its open heart surgery or the kabar wala will also say NO I don't want to buy from yu .. Ags is good brand with pheonix .. This battery remained uncharged for many months.Do one thing drain the acid from it completely ,wash it thoroughly with water for max 10 times ..i know distilled water won't be available this much .. Then load it in your car and tell your car electrician to pour fresh acid in it and keep it on charge ..if he asks yu questions tell him dost ki ha lol .. Keep it on charge for a day and then bring it back 300rs ka kharcha ha ..if it worked then you're lucky if it didn't then sell it to qabar wala .. I did this with my phoenix battery which was declared dead by elec treeshen .. Its still working good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

these batteries are not designed for ups n solar systems get ithium-ion batteries storage

[quote=“koder, post:4, topic:22036”]

Don't do its open heart surgery or the kabar wala will also say NO I don't want to buy from yu .. Ags is good brand with pheonix .. This battery remained uncharged for many months.Do one thing drain the acid from it completely ,wash it thoroughly with water for max 10 times ..i know distilled water won't be available this much .. Then load it in your car and tell your car electrician to pour fresh acid in it and keep it on charge ..if he asks yu questions tell him dost ki ha lol .. Keep it on charge for a day and then bring it back 300rs ka kharcha ha ..if it worked then you're lucky if it didn't then sell it to qabar wala .. I did this with my phoenix battery which was declared dead by elec treeshen .. Its still working good Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[/quote]

Thanks for the great tips ....

Please confirm me If I get it right ...

1- Drain Acid from battery

2- Rins it thourougly with TAP water

3- Take empty battery to electrician for a fresh refill and charging

One Question though What if I bring the acid and refill at home and put it on charge myself by connecting it to UPS????

Yes drain the acid in safe place away from plants.Rinse it thoroughly with the tap water for maximum times ..you will see the black deposits coming out from it but do this somewhere in the safe place not in your lawn etc .. It will requite quite alot of acid ..tell the electrician to pour in 1250gravity wala pani "achay ala taizaa pai ustad" tell him to keep it on the tangel or tanger in slow mode for whole day or night Some of the fellows won't encourage this procedure but it has worked for me.. Before giving it to kabar wala or doing its open heart surgery its better to try it .. But drain the acid in the safe place its hazardous..do wear the gloves . Glasses and cover up your nose

[quote=“koder, post:7, topic:22036”]

Yes drain the acid in safe place away from plants.Rinse it thoroughly with the tap water for maximum times ..you will see the black deposits coming out from it but do this somewhere in the safe place not in your lawn etc .. It will requite quite alot of acid ..tell the electrician to pour in 1250gravity wala pani "achay ala taizaa pai ustad" tell him to keep it on the tangel or tanger in slow mode for whole day or night Some of the fellows won't encourage this procedure but it has worked for me.. Before giving it to kabar wala or doing its open heart surgery its better to try it .. But drain the acid in the safe place its hazardous..do wear the gloves . Glasses and cover up your nose Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[/quote]

THanks for the details bro but you forgot one thing i.e Why should I involve technician ??? after pouring that "gravity wala pani" shouldn't my UPS start charging it???

Do it at your home with your ups but don't put load on it unless it gets fully charged ..I recommended him because of acid .. From where yu will get the acid

+1 to Everything koder said.. in theory , follow step by step..

1 - research which battery seller has clean acid.. most keep it in a blue drum and that oily and dirty acid..find some one who is either making fresh acid, or has a clean drum

2 - donot wash or drain battery yourself.. its very corosive.. will damage your drain pipes.. if you have a main sewerage pipe outside your home or at end of home, only drain in that, otherwise just take it to battery filler and he will drain it for you.

3 - you can buy either the exide liter or larger water bottles to wash the battery... or just , boil, cool , filter lots of water at home.. use that for cleaning.. i wouldnt recommend any cleaning though..

instead, just put nitto tape on the battery top screws holes.. screw them tight... shake the battery using 2 people atleats, shake it hard and immediately drain it.. the acid now coming out would be darker blaccker.. cleaning out residual deposits.. if you do decide to wash, use method above, and keep holes open and let it dry in sun for many hours before refil.

4 - get it refilled.. and make sure he pours 1.25 or slightly less, 1.23, 1.22, gravity acid. not stronger

5 - if you can make sure your ups can provide charging for 2 continuous hours,(loadshedding times) then charge on your ups.. easier is to let the guiy charge it at higher volts just for an hour and do the rest at home.

for an easier diagnosis, Shake the battery yourself, very rapidly so all the acid is mixed inside...just drain the battery using any hydrometer and see if the color of the acid is clear, muddy or blackish.. if blackinsh, battery passed its life..

then suck out excess acid upto the lower level mark and little lower., so that the plates of each cell become visible.. let it stand for a few hours with open caps to let the top ends dry... if you can easily distinguish between black and white plates sandwiched , your cells may have life.. if all you see is black, then your batery is dead..

I have been through these experiments on my batteries ehhhe.. volta was the first one and then phoenix and tell yu something AGS is a very good brand this theory will work on it

[quote=“koder, post:9, topic:22036”]

Do it at your home with your ups but don't put load on it unless it gets fully charged ..I recommended him because of acid .. From where yu will get the acid Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[/quote]

:lol: I thought the acid mixed water is avaliable like Pepsi cola However By reading your question I realised its not as freely avaliable as I thought ........

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:10, topic:22036”]

1 - research which battery seller has clean acid.. most keep it in a blue drum and that oily and dirty acid..find some one who is either making fresh acid, or has a clean drum

2 - donot wash or drain battery yourself.. its very corosive.. will damage your drain pipes.. if you have a main sewerage pipe outside your home or at end of home, only drain in that, otherwise just take it to battery filler and he will drain it for you.

3 - you can buy either the exide liter or larger water bottles to wash the battery... or just , boil, cool , filter lots of water at home.. use that for cleaning.. i wouldnt recommend any cleaning though..

instead, just put nitto tape on the battery top screws holes.. screw them tight... shake the battery using 2 people atleats, shake it hard and immediately drain it.. the acid now coming out would be darker blaccker.. cleaning out residual deposits.. if you do decide to wash, use method above, and keep holes open and let it dry in sun for many hours before refil.

4 - get it refilled.. and make sure he pours 1.25 or slightly less, 1.23, 1.22, gravity acid. not stronger

5 - if you can make sure your ups can provide charging for 2 continuous hours,(loadshedding times) then charge on your ups.. easier is to let the guiy charge it at higher volts just for an hour and do the rest at home.

for an easier diagnosis, Shake the battery yourself, very rapidly so all the acid is mixed inside...just drain the battery using any hydrometer and see if the color of the acid is clear, muddy or blackish.. if blackinsh, battery passed its life..

then suck out excess acid upto the lower level mark and little lower., so that the plates of each cell become visible.. let it stand for a few hours with open caps to let the top ends dry... if you can easily distinguish between black and white plates sandwiched , your cells may have life.. if all you see is black, then your batery is dead..

[/quote]

THanks a million big brother for taking your time to write down these detailed answers, I will do it and will update the results soon ......

Best of Luck! Wish your battery becomes alive after this mini operation lol .. Btw I had a very bad experience with volta batteries .. Na Na karty I wasted 30k on them .. I will always prefer AGS and Phoenix .. Rest all of them are piece of crap .. Farhan i wish I could get your batteries but transportation spoiled everything !!!

^ Those batteries are still working 80% of full capacity.. they are now 2 years old :)

Yup true .. Time is flying !!!!

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:10, topic:22036”]

[/quote]

Today I tried to do an overhaul of battery by myself and I found out it was not a good idea Even though I covered my eyes with large glasses and many layers of cloth rapped around my face I still couldn't save myself from Acid fumes,

After shaking the battery the moment I pourd liquid (black gravy type) on ground huge fumes came out and went straight into my lungs and for couple of hours I felt something wrong in back of my throat and lungs .....

After the procedure when battery was mostly empty I checked the voltage using meter and it shows 6.3 V Is this good???

Finally I searched around my area and noone agreed to provide me Acid water FInally I had to take my battery to a technician he said "your battery has been expired UPS has damaged the battery and I can offer you Rs.2800 for this"

However his senior wasn't present at that moment I left it there and will go back after couple of hours

So what should I do now? with 6.3V is there any hope? Is it good money he is offering ?

SERIOUSLY !!! ....... after going thro so much misery u r still asking here for more advice ... hats off to u!!!! ....... here no one is battery wala ......... everyone gives his best assumption here .... its u ho did the practical thing ......

[quote=“APC_UPS, post:18, topic:22036”]

SERIOUSLY !!! ....... after going thro so much misery u r still asking here for more advice ... hats off to u!!!! ....... here no one is battery wala ......... everyone gives his best assumption here .... its u ho did the practical thing ......

[/quote]

Actually uncle APC_UPS we have serious brain frequency mismatch I write one thing you always reply another or probably you donot bother to read a post twice to fully understand what someone is actually asking.....

I got 6.3V and this is where I need some say also the price he is offering Rs.2800 , When someone is going through rough financial situation and living an isolated social life he tries to save every penny and he usually ask questions sounds basic to people like you who spend 18 hours in Market , You will know when you have situation like mine ...... :mellow:

My suggestion to you either donot reply to my thread or please donot make fun of anyone's questions THANKS :angry:

ok ..... point noted !!!!!!!!