Need sincere suggestions on buying a good digital camera

AOA

guys i am going to buy a new digital camera for my home/personal use and i need u guys to help me in choosing the model either of the ones listed below or anyother good option better then the ones mentioned .

my budget is around 25 k but i can manage things if i find a better camera a little above this price range .

Cameras i have read about or liked (and obviously in my prince range too ) Are ,

1. Sony DSC W350

2. Sony DSC W380

3. Sony DSC W390

3. Canon IXUS 110 IS

4. Canon IXUS 120 IS

help me as i m really confused on what features to look for and what brand to go for .. my requirments move around a good lens (a really good one) the main focus is on the quality of the picture ... shouldnt b grainy and blurry .. the colours should be vibrant /dark and bright . . and 720 p HD movie are a must .. rest of the features will b given secondary importance . .

NOTE .. Please can anyone explain the difference between this ''NEW SONY G'' and the old famous Carl Zeiss .( i m really tempted to go for this G lens .

wiredpak gurus(Asad-N , Sagheer , Asad , Saadibrahim ,Rauhan,SECC ,Asad Ahmed ) and all others who have knowledge about cameras are requested to put their highly valueable input . .

Go for DSC-H7 it will cost u 28000 but believe me its the best cybershot still camera.....I have also used it for 2 to 3 years but mine was stolen......:-(

Canon results are far better to Sony....just my two paisas..

Don't go for Sony!

could you post the prices for the cams

also for camera reviews go to :

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/

also check the link below. Most of the pics are taken from 8MP Panasonic FS3.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Canon results are far better to Sony…just my two paisas…
[/quote]

What he said. Sony is just a more-recognized brand but definitely does not make better products. Except for the PlayStation.

You may also want to make sure that the camera offers Image Stabilization, which is a must-have if you plan to use your camera for shooting video, unless you plan to shoot only from a tripod in which case IS becomes non-essential.

Also avoid falling into the trap of paying more for a higher megapixel count. A high megapixel sensor does not necessarily mean a better camera. Anywhere between 10-12 MP is more than adequate for the average user. Instead, try to get a camera which offers more optical zoom as opposed to digital zoom. Digital zoom is definitely not a good thing to have so make sure your camera offers at least 5x optical zoom. Keep in mind that the higher the optical zoom offered, the price increases proportionately if not exponentially.

The processor inside the camera is a major component, and Canon’s Digic4 is def the best at this time. Get one of the newer models which features this processor.

And cosmetic features like touch-screens are generally not very useful while actually taking photos, with smudges on the screen and usually ending up making the wrong selection. These just add to the final price of the camera but if you’d like to have this feature, your choice.

Also, if your camera support SDHC cards it is also another good feature, because this means the camera will write to your mem card faster thus allowing you to take faster sequential shots without filling up the camera’s buffer.

If you ask me, go for one of the newer Canon models…keep in mind the factors I mentioned above…and go for the one that is closest to your price range. Good luck!

Top bugdet camera brands

Panasonic

Canon

Sony

Essential features

-Optical (not digital) Image stabilization

-Optical zoom 5x + is good

-lithium battery, not alkaline

-vid recording 30 FPS or above.

-QVGA res is good enough res for vids

-Check through reviews about images taken from different ISO settings

-The more ISO, the better (make note that higher ISO settings cause grainy images but stops pics from being blurry in low light situations).

-The more manual features, the better.

Try Panasonic as well. Its being competing with the rest of the competition toe to toe.

also if you have relatives living outside like US or UK then get it from there. Its cheap and they have great bundles available . I myself bought my Panasonic FS3 for 10500Rs from amazon UK.

Also go here and check camera results from different users.

http://www.flickr.com/cameras/

I have seen many photographers using Canon cameras .. I'd go for Canon.

Sony image sensors are one of the best in the industry (even nikon uses sony image sensors in its cameras, e.g. D90) but they're mostly used in professional cameras.

Generally, sony consumer cameras have crap image quality. Go for canon.

all professional cameras have good sensors ,and not all consumer cameras have crap quality. If you play around with it long enough you might get excellent pics.

Thank You all for ur valuable input.But i want your expertise on G lens (replacing Carl zeiss in W380 and W390). . .

@deffery there are people in the uK and us ..but unfortunately no one is visiting pak in near future so i ll have to buy my cam from here ..

and u got some beautiful pictures in ur flicker account bro .. :)

guys i need more comments plz . . i dont have much time .. plz google ,or whatever sources u have got bring me somthing from em .

cannon or sony .. once again .. and let me tell u this G lens is awesome change in the world of lens . . it takes really much less time to focus an object as compared to carl zeiss . .

waiting .....

also plz tell the difference between CMOS and Bionz processor used in SOny camers

@ fahad-132 .. sorry to hear about ur baby bro :( these things are not unusual in the country we live in ... thanks for ur suggesstion mate , but i m looking for a compact /point and shoot camera not a SLR /pro one . . dont consider myself a mature photographer yet ( being modest) ;-)

Thanks, will share more pics soon..

If you could provide us the price of the cameraas you have suggested then we could narrow down the choice for ya..

Anyhow will look into it.

guys i need more comments plz . . i dont have much time … plz google ,or whatever sources u have got bring me somthing from em .
[/quote]

Hey wait!!! I am sorry… but you have much knowledge I guess, what you want to get from which sources, you know much about that. Then why don’t you use google your self ???

General tip (Not for you only): Don’t tell how some one could help you. I believe that a man (who can tell his helper what the resources a helper needs to help him) doesn’t need any kind of help actually…

This is not offensive so please don’t think it to be. :)

Answering your questions

G-Lens or Carl Zeiss

- Sony developed its own G-Lens to go further in the specs not depending on CZ. Currently G-Lens have the advantage over CZ because of the the speed of focusing. All other specs are similar in positives and negatives. It’s like war, one makes some thing better and the other one makes even more better so it gets continued as it is.

Also you shouldn’t consider this as you are willing to get a compact camera for your home/personal use and not a professional one. And in a compact one, practically you would not feel any difference between the two.

Canon or Sony?

- Canon… Why? I always found Canan the better one over the Sony’s.

CMOS Sensor and BionZ Imaging Processor

-Both are different and work together in a Sony Camera. You might want to read about both http://www.sony.jp/products/overseas/contents/english/handycam/HD_Black_Exmor_CMOS_Sensor_BIONZ/

Features to be in a good camera

-The ones posted by deffury above in post#7 are good.

Warning: mostly cameras tell on their packs about the Digital Zoom very prominently but the Optical Zoom specification is hidden somewhere. Forget to note the Digital Zoom, it’s nothing. Only get with better Optical Zoom.

Sony image sensors are one of the best in the industry (even nikon uses sony image sensors in its cameras, e.g. D90) but they’re mostly used in professional cameras.

Generally, sony consumer cameras have crap image quality. Go for canon.

[/quote]

It’s a story since a long time ago. Nikon has started developing its own image sensor since 2003. I am not sure which D90 you referred to but This D90 has its own Image Sensor inside.

However when the Nikon was using the image sensors shipped by Sony, even then the Nikon cameras were considered much better in quality and results than the Sony’s ones. It’s not only image sensor which has to be good for a camera to be called as a best.

In Digital Still Photography the Canon and the Nikon are mostly preferable. Professionals would suggest you to choose from Canon and Nikon. There are also several other manufacturers in Still Digital Cameras better before Sony and Panasonic e.g. Pentax and Fuji Films. However Panasonic is considered one of the bests in Professional Video Cameras.

Hey wait!!! I am sorry.. but you have much knowledge I guess, what you want to get from which sources, you know much about that. Then why don't you use google your self ???

General tip (Not for you only): Don't tell how some one could help you. I believe that a man (who can tell his helper what the resources a helper needs to help him) doesn't need any kind of help actually...

This is not offensive so please don't think it to be. :)

thanks for ur input KA . . i appreciate it .

i m not one of those irrational kids whos bum is always on fire :) so i didnt mind anything u said at all :)

@ why didnt i research myself . .well the answer is , i DID but , google doesnt let me hold the cam in my hand and take pictures . . i have spent quite somtime in reading about stuff on the internet .but the thing is .. what i wanted from this forum is , EXPERIENCE of the people who may have used the specific product . . there is a lot of difference between reading a text book and learning somthing by doing somthing urself in the real world. .

Answering your questions

G-Lens or Carl Zeiss

- Sony developed its own G-Lens to go further in the specs not depending on CZ. Currently G-Lens have the advantage over CZ because of the the speed of focusing( thats what i wanted to hear if i have to opt for sony )

All other specs are similar in positives and negatives. It's like war, one makes some thing better and the other one makes even more better so it gets continued as it is.

Also you shouldn't consider this as you are willing to get a compact camera for your home/personal use and not a professional one. And in a compact one, practically you would not feel any difference between the two.

Canon or Sony?

- Canon.... Why? I always found Canan the better one over the Sony's.

CMOS Sensor and BionZ Imaging Processor

-Both are different and work together in a Sony Camera. You might want to read about both http://www.sony.jp/products/overseas/contents/english/handycam/HD_Black_Exmor_CMOS_Sensor_BIONZ/

what about the DIGIC 4 processor . . (if u have personaly used both the bionz and DIGIC 4 processor cameras )

Features to be in a good camera

-The ones posted by deffury above in post#7 are good.

Warning: mostly cameras tell on their packs about the Digital Zoom very prominently but the Optical Zoom specification is hidden somewhere. Forget to note the Digital Zoom, it's nothing. Only get with better Optical Zoom.

@ deffury

sony w380 is for 22,000 aprox

sony w390 is for 24,000 aprox

cannon IXUS 110 IS is for 23,000 aprox

cannon IXUS 120 IS is for 25,000 aprox

prices vary from shop to shop and one can expect a thousand rupee discount (max)

one more thing if u guys have anyother suggesstions regarding any other models that have not been specified above , plz do post them .. but the brands should b Cannon , Nikon and Sony

Only Nikon or Canon

I compared a normal underwater camera results from canon to my expensive Sony HX1,,, canon had far better image quality

I personally, like many other here, am a fanboy of Canon for good reasons. I haven't looked at many Sony pictures and never used one either, but the few that got past me were horrible. Most Sony P&S Cameras apply aggressive Noise reduction, which gives lots of artefacts and distortion. At least in the pictures I saw, it was so artificial looking that I thought someone had applied an oil painting effect on them. But then again there will be *some* people who will consider these better over a picture that had some noise/grain in it.

Coming back to your choices of cameras, they are all slim/stylish P&S cameras normally intended for casual everyday "taking pictures" (Which I should point out is different from Photography). I will be inclined to suggest either of the Canons, but for me they have no manual controls at all and they are mainly intended for girls or old people who will just take out of their bags and take 20 different pictures of the same people ;). But if you have to buy one of those, get the 120 IS one.

If you can look for something else, I will suggest strongly to look for Canon Powershot A650 IS. If you can find it anywhere, its definitely worth it. It is not slim or anything, but it has a much larger image sensor which means less noise at low light, it has a rotating LCD which comes handy once in a while, and plenty of manual controls for experimentation and getting good results where auto settings let you down.

After reading some reviews and reading some comments and then comparing features, I would say Sony W380 is the best choice out the selected pieces.

http://www.flickr.com/cameras/sony/dsc-w380/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00336EOLO/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_summary?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Other than that check these cams out:

http://www.photographyblog.com/articles_best_digital_camera.php