Need Help

Is there any language/tool out there, that is easy to learn and and can help me financially during my studies abroad ??

i have lots of friends who do odd jobs, resturants cabbies etc. along with their studies but i just want acquire a skill that will provide a financial cushion and that i can do on a need basis..as my problem is not that severe..i just want to make it a bit more pleasant for my family financially u know.

i am an electrical engineer and took c/c++, assembly, vhdl/verilog in university.

i already have loads of suggestions like php,java C# etc but wt do you guys suggest?

thanks

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Is there any language/tool out there, that is easy to learn and and can help me financially during my studies abroad ??

i have lots of friends who do odd jobs, resturants cabbies etc. along with their studies but i just want acquire a skill that will provide a financial cushion and that i can do on a need basis…as my problem is not that severe…i just want to make it a bit more pleasant for my family financially u know.

i am an electrical engineer and took c/c++, assembly, vhdl/verilog in university.

i already have loads of suggestions like php,java C# etc but wt do you guys suggest?

thanks

[/quote]

when u say languages do u mean computer languages or languages that we speak?

when u say languages do u mean computer languages or languages that we speak?

[/quote]

It’d be a good idea to read his full post before replying.

@OP, how do you think a programming language can help you financially? As far as I know, software programming is a time consuming and tiring activity, and wouldn’t leave you with enough time for your studies.

Well it depends...what are you going to be studying? Its better to target a job that may somehow be related to your studies...

That depends on what kind of job you have in mind, your education and career goals, how much time you plan on spending working (with studies, ESPECIALLY in engineering, I can guarantee you won't have a lot of free time) and so on. So give us as much detail as possible and people here might be able to help you.

And a word of warning here. I don't know how much you know about software, but its NOT easy. I work in a professional software development environment and being in electrical engineering myself I can assure you we are not taught the skills to match a CS student. Its time consuming (as in full time, at least 8 hours a day) and has an incredibly steep learning curve if you plan on doing anything more than simple 'Hello World' programs! Have you taken that into consideration?

i have lots of friends who do odd jobs, resturants cabbies etc. along with their studies but i just want acquire a skill that will provide a financial cushion and that i can do on a need basis…as my problem is not that severe…i just want to make it a bit more pleasant for my family financially u know.

thanks

[/quote]

You already know C/C++ and Assembly and if you still can’t make money out of them then can you make money by just learning any other higher-level language?

I don’t understand why people think that learning some “Hello World” programs in some language or reading some books and testing some examples will make people to start earning thousands of US dollars each month. How? Where is the magic wand in it? Where is the magic lamp that can make easy gold? I never saw it, maybe I am the unlucky one.

Programming is a very hard working and tiring work. I have to work 90+ hours each week (7 days a week, no holidays) and still its very hard to earn bread and butter for my family. Just try to search on Google about over-time (without over-time payment) of U.S. game programmers (and other programmers). Programmers are mostly push to work over-time and late night without any extra payment. It’s not a fun job.

Fe-Aman Allah.

h'mm.. well i am currently enrolled in university of manchester's MSc program in electrical engineering starting this fall and planning to do my phd from there as well. so it will take 4-5 years approx.

n well let me reiterate ..i don't want to earn thousands of dollars a month ...i am not looking for a career in IT or software development ....i just want to make my living expenses on my own or atleast some part of it..and the fact that i'll be paying in pound sterlings isn't helping much either so i thought i should contribute ..that's it.

and i thought IT might help because of flexible working hours and i would be able to work on need basis

@ wampyr are u kidding ?? ..we are taught to pass a course and that's it ..i can progam allright but people don't even pay you 500 rs to program a microcontroller. you know how much guys at college road are making.

Met a guy who works in SF and was recommending php so i thought i should ask you guys

i guess i'll look for a more familiar option of RA/TA.

h’mm… well i am currently enrolled in university of manchester’s MSc program in electrical engineering starting this fall and planning to do my phd from there as well. so it will take 4-5 years approx.

n well let me reiterate …i don’t want to earn thousands of dollars a month …i am not looking for a career in IT or software development …i just want to make my living expenses on my own or atleast some part of it…and the fact that i’ll be paying in pound sterlings isn’t helping much either so i thought i should contribute …that’s it.

and i thought IT might help because of flexible working hours and i would be able to work on need basis

@ wampyr are u kidding ?? …we are taught to pass a course and that’s it …i can progam allright but people don’t even pay you 500 rs to program a microcontroller. you know how much guys at college road are making.

Met a guy who works in SF and was recommending php so i thought i should ask you guys

i guess i’ll look for a more familiar option of RA/TA.

[/quote]

There are a lot of sloppy and inexperienced programmers out there who may find a few clients, but that’s all. The experience will come in years (we’re talking 3+) before you can start earning something good enough.

If you have some [creative] writing skills and are generally social, start blogging on a specific niche (electronics isn’t bad). You may monetize your blog using Google adsense and paid links (later) to earn something on your own. While you’re on it, develop some skills in Web Designing (Photoshop, CSS, xHTML). Obviously, it will take a lot of time before your blog and web development skills translate to somewhat acceptable income.

Perhaps you need to stick to what you know best. Try tutoring on electronics, or the electrician work etc. The options and opportunities are generally endless, you just have to keep an eye out for the opportunities.

@watcherbynight: You COULD do what Asad_N has suggested, but its risky and there's absolutely no guarantee that you will actually be able to make money off blogging or the like. As a grad student your best option is working as a TA. Its a relatively easy job, pays well and since it'll be in university it'll conform to your schedule.

Other than that you can always do odd part time jobs like working in a restaurant etc. A part time job should be where you don't have to think a lot (since outside studies you would really want to give your brain a rest!) and it suits your schedule. Programming (any language, and of any sort) is time consuming and definitely not a part time job, so even thinking about it is impractical and it won't work out for you!

h'mm..atleast i'm beginnig to see the problem..many thanks to you guys ..or i would have wasted a lot of my time for nothing...

i guess i'll stick to the routine.

@sah thanks for the tip

thank you everyone

i agree with sah,,a lot of my friends are doing this in the graduate school>>others find work on campus working in the library and so on>>