Need help selecting a cellular internet connection

I'm looking to get a wireless internet connection for use in small towns on the national highway, like Moro, Khairpur and others. For use for internet browsing, email, and perhaps emailing and downloading pdf's or pictures (so not much speed is required). I'd like low latency though...

Options:

Telenor USB stick - using GPRS/EDGE. I used someone elses and it worked pleasantly well. Telenor seems to have a large EDGE network.

PTCL EVO - using 3G Wireless CDMA Rev A technology, providing data rates of upto 3.1Mbps on download and 1.8Mbps on upload. Downside - only 99 cities is faster internet...

Mobilink - I have GRPS/EDGE on my cellphone and Mobilink has no EDGE coverage outside the big cities, and their GRPS is super slow so crossed them out.

For the device itself, all the companies sell a USB stick. So I guess whichever company I went with I would get that, unless there are better/cheaper devices available in the market?

Does anyone know if I get a cellphone and use that to connect to the internet, saying using the Telenor EDGE network if that works the same or as well as with the USB stick?

Are devices available here into which I can stick in a data sim and use the connection though wifi? Something like this would be great: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiFi

if you are looking for a faster internet then EVO is only option (obviously NOT available in small towns)...

But if you want only connectivity and speed doesn't matter much, go for EDGE, First decide which one you need,

If you made your mind to go with EDGE, then why buy USB from cellular companies when you can connect using your mobile only? I suggest never ever buy these USB EDGE sticks, they worth in thousands... where you really dont need them.

Let me explain it.

Considering that you will be using it on highways and small towns you are suggested to go with EDGE,

All the cellular companies offer virtually unlimited internet packages about 2GB, for round about 500 Rs, (not sure about mobilink).

Buy the package from your cellular company, then just plug your mobile to your computer via data cable and start using internet with a very simple procedure, which your service provider can mail you on your request,

If you own a Nokia device, connecting to internet via your mobile is even very very simple, just put username to nokia PC suite and enjoy....

After some research, Telenor EDGE seems to work best in rural areas. Got their 500Rs postpaid Data plain which gives 2GB limit. Can be cancelled at any time. Security deposit Rs: 2250.

943550784.png

Testing against Mobilink in Karachi, where both have EDGE signal, Telenor is working better. In rural Sindh Mobilink only has GPRS signal, which works so slow that it's like having no internet at all. I estimated that Mobilink GRPS was working 1/10th to 1/4th GRPS speeds.

well speed wise Warid is best, search telecoms section about their feedback, but again you need coverage to distant area for which Ufone & Telenor is recommended. IMO you took a right decision.

so were you successful in connecting through your phone to internet ??

I am using a Nokia 6120 classic to connect my laptop through the internet. Currently conecting it through bluetooth as I didn't have to install any software on my laptop to use that, just the basic bluetooth drivers were enough to connect to the phone as a modem.

The Telenor guys recommended a Nokia phone over their own USB stick.

This will be my sole internet device for a week or so will post my experience with this after that.

In Sakhrand, Sindh right now using Telenor's EDGE connection through a cellphone connected to a laptop - it's working really well - better than Mobilink ever worked in a city

946325866.png

I am using Zong during Telephone shedding and avg download speeds are 20-25 KB/s, though pings are super high 500ms-700ms :(

No doubt telenor's edge is da best but if you want affordibility aswell then you should go for zong. 18rs per hour

or you could go for their unlimited package. As far as i know zong has virtually unlimited that has i think 10gb for 400rs...and a truely unlimited data plan for something near 1000rs

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

No doubt telenor’s edge is da best but if you want affordibility aswell then you should go for zong. 18rs per hour

or you could go for their unlimited package. As far as i know zong has virtually unlimited that has i think 10gb for 400rs…and a truely unlimited data plan for something near 1000rs

[/quote]

Zong Unlimited on prepay is 999+tax and on Postpay its 400+tax, i don’t understand why these companies always offer better to postpay :(

because with postpay you get kinda tied up wid da company..you pay line rent even if u dont make a single call..and postpaid connections r more fruitful for da company cos da user doesnt get disconnected cos of zero balance like in pre-paid n he just talks n talks n talks .

One da other hand i have seen dat sms packages r better on pre-paid

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

If you made your mind to go with EDGE, then why buy USB from cellular companies when you can connect using your mobile only? I suggest never ever buy these USB EDGE sticks, they worth in thousands… where you really dont need them.

Considering that you will be using it on highways and small towns you are suggested to go with EDGE,

All the cellular companies offer virtually unlimited internet packages about 2GB, for round about 500 Rs, (not sure about mobilink).

Buy the package from your cellular company, then just plug your mobile to your computer Neodymium Magnets via data cable and start using internet with a very simple procedure, which your service provider can mail you on your request,

If you own a Nokia device, connecting to internet via your mobile is even very very simple, just put username to nokia PC suite and enjoy…

[/quote]

because with postpay you get kinda tied up wid da company…