Need FeedBack about WD harddrives?

hey guys

i bought a seagate 500gb hard ST-3500418AS about 1.5 years ago.. but now its dieing slowly.... :(

now i wana try WD...500GB+ harddrive...

kindly give feedback about WD drives and their reliability and performance...

i m thinking of going for WD Caviar Black Drives as they are pretty hardcore and they have awesome reviews..

thanks

edit: how do i know my HDD is dying?

its SMART status started showing low fitness about 2 months ago... but i ignored it and thought that may be SMART was reporting wrong..

but now from past 2 days.. the drive performance sucks... its sooo damn slow and inconsistent ... sometimes i m stuck on one thing for long times...

so thats how i know its dieing and it will die soon...

and thanks to me living in Pakistan.. we get only 10 months warranty on stuff unlike people in developed countries who get like 4 or 5 years replacement warranty from the HDD company..

fortunately:

i always keep backup of my C: drive...on a spare HDD..

here are complete stats

I'm using a WD external 1TB drive and its working ok

How do you know it's dying? Has it just gotten slower or is it giving errors?

I am satisfied with WD hard disk it has been more than a year now.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

How do you know it’s dying? Has it just gotten slower or is it giving errors?
[/quote]

updated first post

i am too using WD 250 gb external drive for about a year now all iz well :)

When it comes to hard drives, different people have different experiences with the same manufacturer, so don't assume that if you get all good responses about WD, yours will be definitely as reliable. Real Hard drive killer are power failures (especially on system drives which have to consistently read/write), but you should be good with either Seagate or WD.

In my experience, I've found Seagate to be slightly more reliable than WD. But probably that is because all my Seagate drives were < 250GB and thus the data density was not as my WDs. Currently I have 3 WD drives and I've had bad sectors on two of them which I eventually fixed with Low-level format, though the third has extremely slow data access speeds at a certain part of a partition, though it is most probably a fixable logical problem.

Just try to avoid improper shutdown, defragment drive regularly, have an antivirus and keep it stable physically and you should be fine.

Just as Asad-Ahmad said Real Hard drive killer are power failures , you need to avoid that with a UPS etc. In my case the choice of OS also helped.

well WD BLACK hard drives have very good reviews around .. some even claim that they perform better than seagate 12th Gen...

the Black drives are especially made hardcore drives.. so i think they can last more longer than standard seagate 12th gen or WD green or Blue drives...

plus i searched around and found that Seagate 12th Gen. drives do have a tendency to die in the same manner as mine did... so i aint touching seagate 12th gen anymore...

seagate 12th gen drives do have good performance.. i loved my seagate 12th gen until it died on me and i lost my precious data...

the WD green and blue are clearly the same as seagate 12th gen .. like not much hardcore... and not made for performance...

on the other hard WD Black drives are MADE for HARDCORE purposes like gaming and have good performance...

Update: MY HDD Died LAST nite... along with my DATA.... i wana kill seagate...

but now from past 2 days… the drive performance sucks… its sooo damn slow and inconsistent … sometimes i m stuck on one thing for long times…

so thats how i know its dieing and it will die soon…

[/quote]

Slowdown is usually due to file fragmentation. MY suggestion is that you do a chkdsk /R for each of your partitions (chkdsk c:\ /R, chkdsk d:\ /R etc.). Sometimes the check will run after restart in which case you can see the result of the scan under control panel >admin tools>event viewer and under “application” look for the latest entry by “winlogon” service. Chkdsk will tell you whether you have bad sectors on your hard disk or not. Only if you have bad sectors should you be worried about your hard disk.

If once you have done the above you find that you don’t have any bad sectors then just defragment the hard disk. That should help increase speeds.

well WD BLACK hard drives have very good reviews around … some even claim that they perform better than seagate 12th Gen…

the Black drives are especially made hardcore drives… so i think they can last more longer than standard seagate 12th gen or WD green or Blue drives…

plus i searched around and found that Seagate 12th Gen. drives do have a tendency to die in the same manner as mine did… so i aint touching seagate 12th gen anymore…

seagate 12th gen drives do have good performance… i loved my seagate 12th gen until it died on me and i lost my precious data…

the WD green and blue are clearly the same as seagate 12th gen … like not much hardcore… and not made for performance…

on the other hard WD Black drives are MADE for HARDCORE purposes like gaming and have good performance…

Update: MY HDD Died LAST nite… along with my DATA… i wana kill seagate…

[/quote]

WD blue is for ordinary consumers, green as the name suggests is low power consuming version, while WD black are high performance drives.

Slowdown is usually due to file fragmentation. MY suggestion is that you do a chkdsk /R for each of your partitions (chkdsk c:\ /R, chkdsk d:\ /R etc.). Sometimes the check will run after restart in which case you can see the result of the scan under control panel >admin tools>event viewer and under “application” look for the latest entry by “winlogon” service. Chkdsk will tell you whether you have bad sectors on your hard disk or not. Only if you have bad sectors should you be worried about your hard disk.

If once you have done the above you find that you don’t have any bad sectors then just defragment the hard disk. That should help increase speeds.

[/quote]

dude its DEAD already…

i know about fragmentation and i always kept my drive defragmented…

Which PSU are you using? Are you using a UPS for your PC?

Before I started using a Corsair HX620W, I frequently had HDD troubles, regardless of them being from WD, Seagate or Samsung with my Chinese PSU. I used to get bad sector errors every few days which meant running chkdsk frequently. After I changed the PSU, I have rarely ever had to run the chkdsk utility again. My HDDs have been performing flawlessly and reliably since then.

yea, psu matters!

since you are in lahore, id advise you to get caviar green rather than caviar black hdd.

thats because no.1 hdd killer is HEAT. caviar green drives run cooler than caviar blacks.

i guess performance/price ratio isnt too favourable for caviar blacks.

put hdd where the front fan blows air directly onto it.

make sure the hdd's sides are fully secured, since they're designed to radiate max. heat out by their sides (sides are hotter than top or bottom).

dont bump the pc case around while pc is running, its not good for hdd in the long run.

wd drives are good. im running a caviar green 800gb.

seagates are good too.

in the end - whatever works!

Which PSU are you using? Are you using a UPS for your PC?

Before I started using a Corsair HX620W, I frequently had HDD troubles, regardless of them being from WD, Seagate or Samsung with my Chinese PSU. I used to get bad sector errors every few days which meant running chkdsk frequently. After I changed the PSU, I have rarely ever had to run the chkdsk utility again. My HDDs have been performing flawlessly and reliably since then.

[/quote]

i have an ASUS 550WATTs PSU… it a real heavy duty PSU…

and i aint using any UPS cuz no UPS in my price range wud bear the load of my PSU… i even tried a 1000VA UPS but it failed…

and i dont wana a desi ups for PC…

@MalikSaab

well i can arrange cooling for the HDD , like some cooling fans around the HDD… or may be an HDD cooling kit…

plus i have a seagate 60GB HDD for like 5 years now… it gets soo hot that i cant even touch it… but still its as healthy as a horse…what ii wana say is that if HDD is made heat proof then it can survive…

as black HDDs are made for high performance so they do emit more heat and i think WD must have kept this thing in mind while making their HDDs and made them somehow heat proof…

i m done with these low end pussy drives which dont emit heat and thus dont perform to full extent…

now i wana try some hardcore stuff…

and i aint using any UPS cuz no UPS in my price range wud bear the load of my PSU… i even tried a 1000VA UPS but it failed…
[/quote]

A good quality desi UPS is better than having no UPS at all. I use a desi UPS and none of my HDDs ever died on me since 2007; I have two WD (2006, 2007) and one Seagate (2009).