Need a UPS.. Help!

Hey guys, I need a UPS to run a few things for around 5-10 minutes only. I need to run my computer, My LCD, Modem and Router and a PS3 on a UPS. I want the UPS to kick in instantly as the light goes because usually i am gaming online on my PS3 so if i have even a seconds delay in the UPS kicking in then the modem will restart and the game will disconnect and this is the only reason why i am buying the UPS. Im trying to qualify for a Fifa tournament and i cant do it with getting defeats because of load shedding 4 times a day.

So guys any suggestions? how much will this cost me?

Anyone ?

What is the load of each item you want to run on the UPS?

Not really sure though.

I have a modem and a Router, a PC, a 22 inch Samsung LCD and a PS3. Not exactly sure where i can check the load of the items?

Buythis one, i m using it for about a month now usually runs 15inch crt + cpu with 9800gt + 2.1 speaker + modem for about 5 min.

Available @

http://czone.com.pk/html/products_new.htm

Note that its convertion time is aproximately 15ms which is not enough to keep shiro router connected with stock poweradapter

Well i definitely need the shiro modem to keep running because that is pretty important. I cannot compromise on that i want immediately the UPS to kick in.

Btw was the Battery included ?

See the power rating for each product. It is on product model number stickers or else on adapters.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Well i definitely need the shiro modem to keep running because that is pretty important. I cannot compromise on that i want immediately the UPS to kick in.
[/quote]

it kicks in immediatly for the rest of the computer but incase of router u’ll have to buy a new adapter…i can’t help u with the adapter specification since i haven’t changed mine!

Btw was the Battery included ?
[/quote]

Yes its a complete unit with software support.

The PS3 i searched on the internet is around 400Watts, The PC itself im guessing should be around 400W as well? Samsung's website tells me the LCD is around 60W. So basically 400+400+60 around 860W and a modem and a router. So basically 1000W should be good enough? Or a 1500 one?

Anyway i need a UPS which will kick in immidiately. 10-15 minutes backup time would be fine but im guessing the backup time depends more on my battery and not my UPS right? The bigger the battery the longer the backup time ?

Hmm... Have a look at APC CS line up. Alternatively, if it's just the router restarting, you can add a small circuit to sustain the voltage dip during switchover.

@alamode

AFAIK a pc with a decent gpu doesn’t consume more than 300 watts btw which ups r u interested in branded or local made? b/c branded ones r all set and AFAIK u cannot add bigger batteries in these.

correct me if i m wrong

Hmm... Have a look at APC CS line up. Alternatively, if it's just the router restarting, you can add a small circuit to sustain the voltage dip during switchover.
[/quote]

which circuit can u be more specific

Hey guys, I need a UPS to run a few things for around 5-10 minutes only. I need to run my computer, My LCD, Modem and Router and a PS3 on a UPS. I want the UPS to kick in instantly as the light goes because usually i am gaming online on my PS3 so if i have even a seconds delay in the UPS kicking in then the modem will restart and the game will disconnect and this is the only reason why i am buying the UPS. Im trying to qualify for a Fifa tournament and i cant do it with getting defeats because of load shedding 4 times a day.

So guys any suggestions? how much will this cost me?

[/quote]

why is karachi getting low loadshedding hours??

why is karachi getting low loadshedding hours??

[/quote]

Today the light went 5 times. I think around 7-8 hours we were without electricity. It looks like they have handed the On/Off switch to a kid to play with. Lol.

@alamode

AFAIK a pc with a decent gpu doesn’t consume more than 300 watts btw which ups r u interested in branded or local made? b/c branded ones r all set and AFAIK u cannot add bigger batteries in these.

[/quote]

Yeah i overestimated everything just to be on the safe side. Im looking for a branded one, Not the local ones.

Hmm… Have a look at APC CS line up. Alternatively, if it’s just the router restarting, you can add a small circuit to sustain the voltage dip during switchover.
[/quote]

Which circuit?

And can you give me an idea of how much it will cost me? I cant find APC’s UPS’s on galaxy’s website so where should i go to buy them in karachi?

which circuit can u be more specific

[/quote][quote=", post:, topic:"]

And can you give me an idea of how much it will cost me? I cant find APC’s UPS’s on galaxy’s website so where should i go to buy them in karachi?

[/quote]

The circuit is simply a high value capacitor installed in parallel with power input to the router. If you make it yourself, it should not cost more than Rs.100 for the capacitor, Varo board, male/female adapter plugs and the soldering. You should use a large value capacitor like a 4700µF one (you can change the value according to your need/load). I am using a similar setup and it can easily sustain the router for a few milliseconds.

If you want to see a picture, go to this link: http://www.wiredpakistan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=73315#p73315

For sourcing the UPS, visit the Metro/Makro type of superstores. They have the UPS there in Islamabad, at least. It shouldn’t be that different in Karachi.

The circuit is simply a high value capacitor installed in parallel with power input to the router. If you make it yourself, it should not cost more than Rs.100 for the capacitor, Varo board, male/female adapter plugs and the soldering. You should use a large value capacitor like a 4700µF one (you can change the value according to your need/load). I am using a similar setup and it can easily sustain the router for a few milliseconds.

If you want to see a picture, go to this link: http://www.wiredpakistan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=73315#p73315

For sourcing the UPS, visit the Metro/Makro type of superstores. They have the UPS there in Islamabad, at least. It shouldn’t be that different in Karachi.

[/quote]

Is there a tutorial on how to make the circuit because i know nothing about electricity. Also can i buy this circuit?

And does the APC ups come with a battery or do i have to buy that as well?

Is there a tutorial on how to make the circuit because i know nothing about electricity. Also can i buy this circuit?

And does the APC ups come with a battery or do i have to buy that as well?

[/quote]

Umm… no tutorial. It is a basic circuit. If you know someone who is an electronics engineer, show them the circuit and they can make it for you. I doubt you would find it in a product form in the market because it is just an improvisation since most devices do have caps at the power sources but some don’t cater for load shedding troubles like those in Pakistan.

And yes, APC UPSs come with batteries but they aren’t of too high a capacity which could potentially run for hour(s).

And yes, APC UPSs come with batteries but they aren’t of too high a capacity which could potentially run for hour(s).

[/quote]

That’d be perfect for me.

Now just to find a APC dealer in karachi

How are these SalTec ones? :

http://www.beliscity.com/computers_ups/c4_134/index.html?osCsid=55f454702db19638b10ccee12751d698

And whats the difference between a dry and a wet battery?

Dry/SLA batteries do not need maintenance. Wet ones need regular maintenance.

Dry/SLA batteries do not need maintenance. Wet ones need regular maintenance.
[/quote]

Oh i see. Thanks… And is saltec any good?