My olevels will finish in couple of days. i want 2 do sum comp cources

and i m workin on a way to send my entery into gce as they have a policy which says if i have done my coursework under a teacher affiliated with a registered center they will accept me =D

Well thats upto you. My recommendation would be to do Physics, Chem and Math in A levels. Learn some programming languages (C/C++, Java, Python, Perl, PHP) and software engineering basics (algorithms, data structures) on your own. Certificates and degrees don't matter when it comes to school or even 'real' life. Only practical knowledge is really important.

ok i understan wath u r tyin 2 say

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

@ isharis

i dont think there is such thing as minimum subjects in a levels it depend on ur skool

@alamode

i wanted 2 take computing, physics, maths, gp, and design and technology. man i dont like chem much. i m planing 2 go abroad after my a levels.

i want to ask do unis. abroad are like unis here in !@#$? i mean are they really that narow minded if i want 2 go 2 engineering waths the use of chem???

sah u r studyin abroad right. so your opnion please…

[/quote]

Abroad universities dont really require Chemistry in most fields. I applied in most universities for telecom and other engineering fields with (Computing, Maths, Physics and GP) and i got in all the universities in which i had applied. The only problem was finance… so i wasnt able to go. If you’re planning on going abroad better discuss this with your parents. UK specially is very very expensive, the minimum you require is 10000 Pounds Per annum tuition fees for International Students. So you better discuss it with your parents if they will be able to support your fees. My parents couldnt, so i had to stay back here in pakistan.

Anyway, if i were you… I would have taken chemistry. Take the safe way… You already know you have to do Engineering… If you dont take chemistry then there arent many engineering fields availible for you in Pakistan. And if by any chance you are not able to go abroad either, you could end up in a bit of a problem. So take chemistry, be on the safe side. Computing isnt that important. besides whatever they teach you, they will teach you that in University too (I think) so it wont be much of a loss either.

Or if you really want to take Computing, then go for Chemistry, Computing, Physics and Maths. GP not really important… And even if you give GP, it wont be much of a burden either because theres nothing to study in GP.

I know one thing, if i had to go back in time and change one thing… I would have taken Chemistry in A levels. I really regret not taking Chemistry and i didnt know at that time that most Universities required Chemistry anyway. Would you believe i got a Inter Equivalence made for my A levels and it says ARTS !! Because i didnt take chemistry ! They didnt classify me in Engineering because Chemistry is required for it.

Anyway, right now concentrate on your O level papers… Good luck with that bro. And you’ll have 2 months after that to assess your options. Whatever choice you make, stick to it.

thankss yaar , after this thread i have come to know many things (taking chm 4 instance) but one thing though if i only took chm till AS would it be ok????

thankss yaar , after this thread i have come to know many things (taking chm 4 instance) but one thing though if i only took chm till AS would it be ok???
[/quote]

Yes that’d be fine for engineering abroad (except for Chem Eng of course!). You’ll only have one basic chemistry course in the first semester, which only covers some of the material taught in AS. If you’ve done AS chemistry, it should be a breeze.

thankss yaar , after this thread i have come to know many things (taking chm 4 instance) but one thing though if i only took chm till AS would it be ok???
[/quote]

Not really sure about that. But im guessing as most pakistan university require Math, Physics and Chemistry for Engineering, then i guess they require full A levels. Not really sure though…

If i were you, i’d take chemistry through out. Its very tough though and i didnt like it either which is why i didnt take chemistry in A levels but that decision turned out really bad. Even Just score above 70+ in Chemistry, and do well in other Subjects. That should be enough i think.

And as Sah said… AS Chemistry would be adequate for Abroad. And yeah i got in many of the engineering fields without chemistry so if you’re going abroad then you wouldnt even need Chemistry in A levels. If you’re staying in Pakistan then you will.

yeah about that abroad thing...... i m pretty sure about that i have talked 2 my parents and every thin. one thin though wath are the factors envolved when ggoin there 2 study ( not 2 UK ) but 2 countries like Canada and Australia???? ( in canada i have a female friend =D who iz a close friend by the way )

What do you mean by 'factors' involved? What factors are you referring to.

like money, place to live the amount needed 2 study and 4 food and etc... and the amount you can earn by doing odd jobs and stuff like that.......

and yeah the most important factor do there attitude towards muslims have changed since 9/11???? ( as i planing to grow a beard :rolleyes: ) do these things really matter????

@sk90y: In Canada the muslim factor is not important. I've never suffered any bias in my three yr stay here. I won't speak for others countries, since I haven't experienced their societies myself. When considering the bias factor you should try and focus more on the overall scenario rather than isolated horror stories. There is some sort of bias present everywhere including Pakistan, so you should be realistic in that regard.

Finances are very important and you should consider your financial situation completely and thoroughly before applying abroad. Make sure you know how much you'll be spending and if you can afford it. A lot of my friends applied half heartedly and when they DID get into places abroad, they couldn't afford to go. Thats just a waste of time and energy in my opinion.

Tuition depends on your major, country and university of study, and your legal status in the country. I'm assuming you're a Pakistani, so you'll be considered an international student in any other country and will thus have to pay exorbitant amounts of tuition compared to the locals. The tuition varies greatly. In European countries like Sweden, Germany, tuition is free for everyone, and you'll only have to pay for living expenses. However the issue of language exists, so if you consider Europe you'll have to see if you can find a university where you can take courses in English.

The upper end of the tuition scale hits the 30000-50000 dollars per year area, which includes private universities in the US. However, if you absolutely need financial aid than the US is best in that area.

Canadian universities don't really give financial aid. Some give scholarships, which are rare and insignificant in amount. My tuition in engineering as an international student at Waterloo comes to around 13000 dollars per semester, and most other Canadian universities would have comparable tuitions.

Living expenses in North America come to about 700-1000 dollars. Housing would cost 300-550 dollars per month, food is 250-300 dollars per month, and you can keep another 50-150 dollars per month for misc expenses. So if you come to Waterloo, you'll be looking at about 16000-17000 dollars per study semester. Note that almost all international engineering students in Waterloo get a 2500 dollar grant per study semester, so that reduces the cost a bit.

You can normally legally work part time for around 20 hours a week. Illegally, you can work for as many hours as you want! However you have to be realistic when considering part time earnings. In science/engineering majors especially you will barely have any time outside school work. Part time jobs pay around 6-9 dollars an hour, and in my personal opinion they're not worth spending all your free time on, since you'll only manage to earn 300-500 dollars a month which would barely cover rent. However that is my opinion, and it also depends on the individuals financial situation.

If you have any other questions, then ask away!

wow . are you a teacher, yaar cuz u explain gud....... any how, now after talking to you and other ppl i think if i can earn sum money and sum parents will cotribute i will be able to afford it. but please do tell the dollar you mentioned is canadian or us???

@sk90y: When talking about the US, I mentioned the costs in US dollars. When talking about Canada, the costs are in Canadian dollars. The last three paragraphs have figures in CA$.

yaar i hav thought of learnin c++ now and think i would give SAT p1 in next year

wth do u think???

edited:

sum one told me i f i want 2 go abroad givin SAT would help.. why?

@sk90y: SAT is required for the US. Other countries don't require it, but if you have a good SAT score it will only help your admission.

For Canada, UK etc, O/A levels alone are enough though. I would advise you to take it, just in case a university does require it. Good idea to cover your bases!

And like I said before, learning object oriented programming is a good idea. C++ would be an excellent place to start. You'll have a lot of time before you go abroad for your bachelors. You'll benefit greatly if you can at least achieve intermediate proficiency level in software programming. It'll help you both in your studies as well as greatly increase your employability. You'd be surprised at the sky rocketing demand for good programmers, and the severe shortage of supply. I've generally found people avoid programming even in engineering fields. You can get one up on your competition by exploiting this fact.

ok thanxxx.

not 2 the topic but: u know ruhaan is just in class nine and he iz alredy a very good programer hes doin thins like testin softwares and making encryption. ( got 2 know him a lil beter ) cheers 2 him. whish him luck

Oh and yeah !!! Give Sat.. That wont only help you for US but some universities in Pakistan too like Lums.. And give SAT in the First Year of your A levels because in the 2nd year studies are a bit harder so it gets a little harder to also give SAT. Plus its better to have it ready in advance so that you can just start applying in your 2nd year of A levels.

ok thanxxx.

not 2 the topic but: u know ruhaan is just in class eight and he iz alredy a very good programer hes doin thins like testin softwares and making encryption. ( got 2 know him a lil beter ) cheers 2 him. whish him luck

[/quote]

actually i m in class 9 but thnx anyway

and i m workin on a way to send my entery into gce as they have a policy which says if i have done my coursework under a teacher affiliated with a registered center they will accept me =D
[/quote]

Can you please help me on that too? I am also interested to do computing privately. :)

Whats the difference between Java and JavaScript?