My olevels will finish in couple of days. i want 2 do sum comp cources

guyz my o levelz will finish in couple of dayz ( examzz horahay hay ) i wanted 2do sum computer cources. not those aainy phanee ones but real gud advanced cources

my cousin rcomended cisco, but i think it has an age limit

please tell wth, from where, at wth price gud networkin and advance level cources can be seeked

( oh by the if u guyz r thinkin i could handle advance level cources even cisco ,if they alow me in. in other words i m total computer geek . lol )

If you want to take the course just for the knowledge and don't really care about the certification, then I'd recommend just buying (or even downloading) a few books on that particular topic and just learning it yourself. You don't really need to get formal education when it comes to programming or computer related fields. You'll end up having to learn everything yourself anyways, and you have the essentially limitless resources of the internet at your disposal if you have questions or run into any kind of problem.

It really just depends on your level of dedication and commitment.

no i do care abou t the certification bcz in my opinion they will help me get into gud unis. ( i whish 2 study abroad )

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

no i do care abou t the certification bcz in my opinion they will help me get into gud unis. ( i whish 2 study abroad )
[/quote]

Well that depends on what you’re going for. Are you planning to do a Computer Science or Software Eng major? If you go for any other engineering, software isn’t a big part of the curriculum so a certificate may not make a huge difference (I’m in third yr Elec Eng myself).

Other things you may want to take into consideration is if you do a certification course, how long after you finish it will you still be able to benefit from it. The technology scenario changes fast, and if you do the course now and finish your bachelors say 6 yrs from now (2 yrs of A levels + 4 yrs undergrad), that certificate might be worthless by then. Not trying to discourage you, just making sure you consider all the scenarios! :)

yeah i kinda understand wath u mean.

but i am really confused abt my major right now. i know 4 fact its goin 2 be techno related but , the world scenario is changing i want 2 do sum thin which is both worth while and flourishing in da future.

software fields are gud and if i plan 2 stay in pkai, a gud small software house will give me earnings. but if i go 4 engineering there is no RnD work hapinin in !@#$ (accept on military basis), so there is no real scope of that here.

but about these cources. i only wanted 2 do a course whose duration is six months max.

That applies to other countries as well. Most jobs are directly or indirectly related to software. Power engineers (Electrical) are in huge demand in Canada right now, unfortunately very few people go into that field since its relatively dry and boring. Even electronic hardware jobs are few compared to the number of software jobs out there. Oh well, just wanted to give you some perspective. If you need more of my opinions feel free to ask! ;)

* to admin*

sah, i want ask a favour

please bann til 10 june

this forum is adictive i want 2 conentrate on my forum

*to admin*

Ban till 10th june? :D.

I dont know for sure but the Software field isnt that great in pakistan.. Thats what i think. I mean no one buys original copies of softwares, they buy pirated copies. The money doesnt go to the Software Developer. So to be a Software programmer, in Pakistan.. Isnt really a good choice. Correct me if i am wrong though?

What subjects are you going to take in A levels? Thats very important which subjects you take in A levels.

If you're going to take Computing, then wouldn't hurt to do a Visual Basic course or any programming course which will help you in your software project in AS and A2 (I had computing in a Levels). Visual Basic is easy though, and you can also learn it yourself by downloading tutorials from the internet.

@alamode: No one really buys software in Pakistan and the software houses in Pk don't TARGET Pakistanis! They export their product, and theres a huge international demand for software if anyone cares to tap it.

@sk90y: Visual Basic might help you with school, but no one really uses VB in 'real' life. Learn C/C++ or Java to form a base in object-oriented programming concepts and it'd also be nice if you know a scripting language like Python or Perl. Generally if you want to go into software you should be an expert in one OOP language and one scripting language. If you have that level of skill, you can very easily pick up new languages since the core programming concepts are the same, you'll just need to learn the new syntax (and generally even that is pretty similar in different languages).

And no I'm not going to ban you. You'll just have to practice some self-restraint!

@alamode: No one really buys software in Pakistan and the software houses in Pk don’t TARGET Pakistanis! They export their product, and theres a huge international demand for software if anyone cares to tap it.
[/quote]

Oh i see. But still i think Software Developers would face a hard time no? Because Even internationally, why would anyone buy their product? If they’re spending 20-30$ on a software, they’re most likely to spend it on well known products.

@alamode: People will buy your product if its of a comparable or higher quality than the competition and if its cheaper than the competition. Yes brand name establishment is an issue, but everyone has to start SOMEwhere right. Any existing established brands like Google or Microsoft or NetSol started without anyone knowing who they are. You start small and work your way up.

But the demand is there definitely, and software engineering jobs will grow exponentially over the coming yrs. So much so that universities are simply not producing enough software developers to cater to that demand.

yes ill be taking computing in a levels. i have done sum visual basic work already my olevel computer project consisted of visual basic based database system for a library

i know about the software bissuness a little. firms and componies when want 2 upgrade there systems or things like that they call software houses to produce specific softwares for specific purposes

i wanted 2 do sumthing in networking u know get 2 know the protocols and thins like that. so that i could hav a bit of fun if u know wth im talkin abt =D ( and yeah i know abt hakin not bieng as shown on movies )

Tell me exactly which subjects you intent to pick up in A levels and what field you want to do after your A levels.

I took up Physics, Computing, Maths and General paper at A levels.. After A levels when i started applying for Engineering universities, most Universities didnt accept Computing and they instead wanted Physics and Chemistry along with Maths. So if you want to take Engineering after your A levels, then it doesnt matter if you take Computing A levels or not.. But you MUST take Chemsitry and Physics and Maths because otherwise most universities dont allow you to sit in the Engineering test for their universities.

So if you're going for engineering, Physics, Chemistry and Maths are a must. If you think you can handle more, then also take Computing. AS computing is even easier then O level Computing.. But A2 computing is very very hard. I got 95% in AS computing and then after A2 paper my Average score came down to 86% in A levels. So i had probably got 77 or 78 in A2 something like that (A2 results arent shown, instead they show the aggregate of A2 and AS after A2 papers)

Anyway, also if youre going to apply abroad then concentrate very very hard on your AS papers because most abroad universities give you admission based on AS results because you apply way before your A2 papers.

@sk90y: I agree with what alamode said. Computing would be pretty much useless as far as admissions go and you'll be limiting your options if you don't take Chemistry in A levels. Also, although you will get admissions based on AS results, keep in mind a lot of universities also tend to give out conditional offers, asking a minimum level of grades in the A2 exams, so its not like they're completely useless!

@sk90y: I agree with what alamode said. Computing would be pretty much useless as far as admissions go and you’ll be limiting your options if you don’t take Chemistry in A levels. Also, although you will get admissions based on AS results, keep in mind a lot of universities also tend to give out conditional offers, asking a minimum level of grades in the A2 exams, so its not like they’re completely useless!
[/quote]

Exactly. They’re not useless but AS is the primary… AS isnt that hard either so you must study your best and score the best you can. In A2 usually percentages drop. So score well in AS.

What are mininum number of subjects required to be regarded as completed A'level student? AFAIK, it's 2 including general paper?

@ isharis

i dont think there is such thing as minimum subjects in a levels it depend on ur skool

@alamode

i wanted 2 take computing, physics, maths, gp, and design and technology. man i dont like chem much. i m planing 2 go abroad after my a levels.

i want to ask do unis. abroad are like unis here in !@#$? i mean are they really that narow minded if i want 2 go 2 engineering waths the use of chem???

sah u r studyin abroad right. so your opnion please.....

@sk90y: Other than chemical engineering, you'll only do one intro course to chem in other engineering majors. So it'd be in your best interest to AT LEAST complete AS chemistry (which a lot of universities require). But schools are pretty strict when it comes to taking subjects, and usually if you do an AS exam via school, you'll probably also have to give the A2 exam.

What you COULD do is give AS chem and AS computing via school if possible. Or A2 chem through school and AS computing privately. But do NOT skip chemistry. You'll be shooting yourself in the foot...

yaar i m planning 2 do whole the thing privately

but the problem is GCE doesnt offer computing and design and technology privately cause they have corsework projects in there syllabus

ill get it so illl have 2 do atleast chem till AS