My list of must have free software for Windows

I've been trying out different programs so I thought I'd compile a list of the best software I've used for Windows. All software listed are freeware and are easily available via www.download.com :

Antivirus: There has been a lot of debate on this issue recently, but in my personal experience I find Avast! Antivirus to be the best. Its updated multiple times a day, has a number of different protection modules which check your hard disk, websites, internet email, outlook email, network from attacks, and you can also enable a boot scanner to run a scan at startup.

Spyware: I found Trend Micro HijackThis to be the best spyware removal tool. A word of warning though, it only lists potential spyware and does not offer any recommendations as to what files/registry entries you should 'fix' (namely, delete) from your system. Use it with extreme caution to avoid killing your Windows install.

Registry Repair: I use two software, GlarySoft Registry Repair and TweakNow RegCleaner. Both seem to catch different registry problems and are almost fully automated. Excellent software!

PDF viewer: Sure Adobe Acrobat Reader does the job, but its slow, hogs system resources and takes forever to startup. Try Foxit PDF Reader. Its fast, allows opening of multiple PDFs as tabs in the same reader window and you can also fill and save PDF forms etc. If I may venture an analogy, Adobe vs Foxit is like Internet Explorer vs Firefox!

Compression: I use WinRAR to deal with compressed files. It can handle all sorts of compression types one usually sees, and I've never had a problem with it after using it for many years.

Video: Again, something which has been discussed to death. But I have yet to use a better media player than VLC!

Hope you guys find this useful!

winrar is not a freeware AFAIK :D

i also use foxit it loads a lot faster but it doesn't have a browser plugin :(

good list IMO

Yes WinRAR is not completely freeware. But the 'trial' version is ALMOST fully usable and you can keep using it after the evaluation period is over.

good list i have all of these softwares except Registry Repair category.

i hate winrar and its stupid icon 7zip is much better and more user friendly plus its free and runs on multiple platforms

http://www.7-zip.org/

Well as far as compression software goes, as long as it does the job I don't care much. Its not a software I use regularly or for extended periods of time, so WinRAR is good enough! :)

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Well as far as compression software goes, as long as it does the job I don’t care much. Its not a software I use regularly or for extended periods of time, so WinRAR is good enough! :)
[/quote]

but believe me 7zip is much better it supports more compression formats and also can compress much more than WinRar

Though not freeware, I use PowerArchiver's trial version (it gives a nag each time you start, but it's worth the hassle).

I use cab as my compression format - better than ZIP and RAR in most cases, IMO (after several tries).

For audio editing, Audacity is the way to go.

Launchy is a free windows utility designed to help you forget about your start menu, the icons on your desktop, and even your file manager.

Launchy indexes the programs in your start menu and can launch your documents, project files, folders, and bookmarks with just a few keystrokes!

[/quote]

http://www.launchy.net/

I’ve been using this little tool and found it to be quite useful…it sure beats having to use the mouse and exploring the start menu…

7-zip and vlc for life.

here's my list of best free softwares for windows

Compression: 7zip (the best and most optimal compression software) > 7zip.org

Media Player: MediaPlayerClassic (way better than paid media players like PowerDVD and RealPlayer etc (mostly for DVD viewing) Use it after installing k-lite codec pack and it'll play almost anything.

Dictionary: WordWeb (pretty cool, always running in system tray. Good for us Asian who dont have a very vast vocabulary, you can look up words while browsing though blogs and sites etc CTRL+ALT+W will instantly bring up the dictionary for u to find any word

Iso / Virtual Drive: Iso-Buster is the best free app to create ISO/Bin Images of ur precious CDVDs. Daemon-Tools is the best free virtual drive solution for all ur emulation and backup-gameplay needs

Guys u hav mentioned v good freewares but forgot v v important software FIREWALL.I m using comodo 4some months&it z good&v popular too but when i use it with avast antivirus it slows down d system.Som1 on yahoo answers have recomended jetico 4xp & comodo 4vista so i wan2 know why such recomendation?Z it so bcoz comodo z heavy 4xp resources?I wan2 know ur views&recomendations.

Guys u hav mentioned v good freewares but forgot v v important software FIREWALL.I m using comodo 4some months&it z good&v popular too but when i use it with avast antivirus it slows down d system.Som1 on yahoo answers have recomended jetico 4xp & comodo 4vista so i wan2 know why such recomendation?Z it so bcoz comodo z heavy 4xp resources?I wan2 know ur views&recomendations.
[/quote]

comodo is fine with nod32!

it is the best fireall dont change it!

mod's should make this thread sticky and all of should also provide the download links of all the free and important softwares.

Ccleaner

Unlocker

feeddemon

orbit downloader

utorrent (ofcourse)

firefox

virtual dub/avi demux

CdBurner XP

Windows live writer (only for bloggers)

comodo firewall

jet audio free

foxit reader (alternative to bulky adobe pdf reader)

netmeter

notepad++

remember google is your friend!

Speedfan for monitoring CPU temperatures and stuff like that

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

mod’s should make this thread sticky and all of should also provide the download links of all the free and important softwares.
[/quote]

and the name can be changed to “list of must have free software for Windows”

SAH, do you use a Firewall too? such as Zonealarm? I just want to know if it's necessary and whether the Window's firewall is sufficient. I tried using the Comodo firewall but it was really confusing and I didn't know what to block and what not to! I have had to reinstall Windows and want to know what is really , absolutely necessary. (I installed Limewire on my pc and it was a nightmare after that, because it became infected and my windows update wasnt working...) and what about anti spyware such as Adaware? or Spyware Terminator? As per your advice, I have installed Avast antivirus.

About antispyware v popular thz days z spybot s&d & it z freeware.

@MamboNo5: I've personally never used a firewall in my life and I've never had any problems. However, using a firewall can benefit you by adding an extra layer of security. Perhaps the people here who use firewalls can comment on its usefulness.