My keyboard's keys stop working, this is the 3rd keyboard getting same issue

Hello,

I had 2 A4tech keyboards, they were working absolutely fine but suddenly one day the "control" keys of one keyboard stopped working. The rest of the keys were working perfect.

I tried another keyboard, it worked fine for few days but then the "W, S, X" and "L,K and I" keys stopped working.

I thought they are same model keyboard that's why they got same issue. I bought new DANY keyboard, but yesterday after 3 months of purchase this keyboard also got same issue.

Now the 1,2,3,4,7,8,9 and 0 keys are not working, 5 and 6 are working. Top F2 to F12 keys are also not working, only F1 working.

I don't understand what making my keyboards faulty?

Is it something related to software?

Tomorrow I am going to buy branded keyboard HP, I hope those branded keyboards will work fine.

If you have any suggestion regarding good branded keyboards please advice?

Is this loss of functionality with regards to certain keys intermittent or repeatable?

Either it is some issue with your PC or your usage methodology/pattern/technique. Do you regularly eat/drink anything around your keyboard?

Keyboard often get jammed due to dust. If you live in a dusty environment, then your keyboards will face that issue.

If that's the case then buy a dust-proof keyboard this time.

since you seem to be in karachi, you should buy a good quality gaming keyboard if you are a gamer, or a mechanical keyboard if you type a lot or just for a long term use. even a good decent microsoft or logitech or saitek keyboard(non gaming/mechanical) would do great and ease your typing experience a lot.

i would suggest contacting bachelor from pakgamer forum since he is also in karachi. he has some great stuff at half the normal price, give him reference of farhanzaib from pg for reference if you already dont know him. read his threads there to choose a product you like then contact him.

0342-2682959 whatsapp him..\\

other than that.. the logitech wireless MK200/230 kb mouse combo is a very cheap and reasonable wireless solution if you wanna enjoy wireless and not spend as much.

PS: change your usb port where you connect..also if you have a metallic usb flash drive, insert in that port, and either touch it while wearing rubber shoes, ortouch with a voltmeter or tester.. if you feel a slight current from it, or your pc metal part of casing, you may have some earthing problem.. although thats rare and less realetd to your kb problem, it could be a reason, and also a health hazard.. doesnot hurt to check.

[quote=“Asad, post:2, topic:22589”]

Is this loss of functionality with regards to certain keys intermittent or repeatable?

Either it is some issue with your PC or your usage methodology/pattern/technique. Do you regularly eat/drink anything around your keyboard?

[/quote]

No, I don’t drink / eat regularly anything. It is new & clean keyboard.

Only certain keys stopped working.

[quote=“Upsilon, post:3, topic:22589”]

Keyboard often get jammed due to dust. If you live in a dusty environment, then your keyboards will face that issue.

[/quote]

I am sure it is not dust related issue cause I always cover my PC when not in use and keep it clean.

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:4, topic:22589”]

PS: change your usb port where you connect…also if you have a metallic usb flash drive, insert in that port, and either touch it while wearing rubber shoes, ortouch with a voltmeter or tester… if you feel a slight current from it, or your pc metal part of casing, you may have some earthing problem… although thats rare and less realetd to your kb problem, it could be a reason, and also a health hazard… doesnot hurt to check.

[/quote]

Yes, the body of my CPU always have some current, I cannot touch the metallic part of it when turned on :(

I changed the USB port too but same result, those keys still not working.

One way to ascertain for sure that it is indeed the keyboard that is malfunctioning and not something else entirely is to plug it in a different computer. If same issues persist, then there's definitely something wrong with the keyboard. My recommendation would be to take it back to the retailer you bought it from and demand a refund. If such a scenario isn't possible, then do as Farhan says, or if you can afford to buy new from a reputable source. Go to beegeek's website and get a keyboard of your liking.

I would personally recommend Cooler Master's CM Devastator Keyboard+Mouse combo. I bought one from Galaxy 2 years ago for a nominal price of 2200/-. Comes with both keyboard+mouse.

EDIT: Unplug your PC completely from the wall-socket and let it stay unplugged for a couple of mins. If possible, take out the battery from the BIOS and reseat it in after a couple of mins. Then plug-in everything and check again. This may or may not fix your problem. But doesn't hurt giving it a try.

Interestingly I did nothing but just changed the USB port, it didn't work first but from the next day it started working absolutely fine.

Yesterday I tried it and again stopped working but just after few seconds everything back to normal.

Right now everything is working fine. I think it was USB port's issue?

Probably not. If the USB port malfunctioned, you'd get alert from within windows and the keyboard wouldn't work at all, one way or another. The BIOS probably needs a complete reset, and power unplug. Try again and see if the problem replicates itself or not.

Well, I was so busy in other things that I could not get time to check this issue in more detail.

Couple of days ago I connected the keyboard with my laptop and the keys were still not working, means the issue is with the keyboard only and not with my PC.

Then I replaced the CMOS battery too because it was dead and some people were saying it might be the cause of keyboard not working properly.

But even after changing the CMOS battery those keys are still not working.

Interestingly, sometime those keys work absolutely fine like there is no issue at all, but next day the same issue rises again.

I think this keyboard is faulty. I will buy new one, branded HP would be good I guess.

I have used second hand Hp and Dell branded keyboards always, they are cheap (my current one cost only 450 rs.) and they last a long time. Mine has lasted three years so far.

They last one I had was Dell branded one (cost rs. 250) which I used for 6 years and it still works today. I just changed it because I was looking for a much softer keyboard with usb 2.0 options.

They only requires occasional cleaning.

ps.

If you decide to buy a second hand keyboard just run a "keyboard test software" to check that all the keys work. They are many available to download free on the net.

No, I will not buy second hand keyboard. I will buy new keyboard to avoid any issues.

I always buy new stuff :)