My computer does not know it has a dvd writer

i have hp520 ,check this site http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/hk/en/sm/WF05a/1090709-1124051-1124051-1124051-12434656-80330282.html ,it says i have a dvd writer but when i try to write it can only watch dvd movies but not write.What could be the problem?How could i fix it?An any software that can help me ?

is there a software installed,,what kind of software is it,,how old is the drive did u buy it 2nd hand or the laptop,,

when you try to write data using the software what kind of media are u using,,if it does not write what does the software say???

question: when u open my computer, what name it gives you for dvd drive without any disc in it. it should be either DVD-RAM drive or DVD drive. (well at least this is what its on my computer)

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

is there a software installed,what kind of software is it,how old is the drive did u buy it 2nd hand or the laptop,

when you try to write data using the software what kind of media are u using,if it does not write what does the software say???

[/quote]

there aint no software installed,but i tried this dvd burner i downloaded online it aswel cudnt detect it …the hp site clearly says i have a dvd writer and its not secod hand.in pakistan i think its called hp530

do this,,\

press start on the left side of your windiws screen,,

go to start,control panel, hardware, device manager, dvd/cdrom drive,

and what does it say under that

right click into properties and see if the device is working properly connected ...

Hi. Do u have Vista?

My HP Vista laptop has this problem. it comes with Roxio bundled, and only Roxio seems to see my DVD writer. if I install any other Software (tried InfraRecorder, Nero 7, Starburner), i cant write any DVDs.

roxio is quite crappy, but i got used to it eventually

However, ConvertX2DVD can write its converted projects using my writer. And i have heard Nero 8 works with hp laptops too