Multi-monitor setup

I am looking for suggestions on suitable LED backlit displays/monitors with sizes ranging from 22-24" which are suitable for multi-monitor use. I have two DisplayPort and one VGA connection available for driving the displays Some parameters are listed below:

1. Setup will have 2-3 monitors side-by-side.
  2. Screen size between 22" and 24".
  3. DisplayPort availability would be preferred, followed by DVI (passive conversion from DP to DVI). Presence of HDMI would be a benefit. Monitor should have VGA connection.
  4. Bezel needs to be thin on the sides with no annoying bright LEDs on either side.
  5. Cost must remain within limits (<25K if possible).

Please also comment on local availability of multi-monitor stands and how do Dell, Samsung, AOC, ASUS compare for their lineup within the price range.

So um... I'm not an expert on multi-monitor setups, but I can recommend based on common sense.

Based on my personal experience, ViewSonic is best when it comes to monitors, so I'm gonna recommend one of those.

How about you get two of these, they're kinda in your budget & have most of the bells and whistles you'd want.

Viewsonic is good but seems to have a declining market share now. My primary concern is bezel width and display connection interfaces.

Have you given a thought to buying an IPS LED monitor?

Honestly though, my first experience with an IPS monitor wasn't that great initially, as it has the problem of tinting everything with warm colors. But I guess I am the one with a problematic monitor because I've heard all but good things about color reproduction of IPS panels. I adjusted the color settings a bit and it has been smooth sailing from then on.

Plus, IPS panels offer sweet viewing angels, which I suppose is a point worth considering in a multi-monitor setup.

The monitor I'm talking about.

for precision works, nothing would beat an LG or a Dell studio display.. they have 10bit decoding all the way upto studio level color reproduction with almost full color gamut display of the rgb spectrum and adobe color profile certified..

those are very high end monitors and for accuracy of digital print..

one lrge 4k 32 inch monitor would probably provide more work space than 3 of the multi monitor even when doing side by side comparison of whatever you are planning to execute.. gaming led they are not.. for IT and studio work they are gold standard

for simple office work and comparing data or spreadsheets or testing websites , thin bezel led choices limit to samsung and Asus. . of them, samsung have more ports at back in latest tech with display port probable option.. hdmi and DVI are standard now.. vga would be impossible to find.. and in any case, DVI to vga adopters can easily be used for 150rs.

viewsonic have very over saturated colors, especilayy the red tone. they look great but cause headache and nausea over extended use.. plus most models except their high end X series may not have many back ports.

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:5, topic:21852”]

one lrge 4k 32 inch monitor would probably provide more work space than 3 of the multi monitor even when doing side by side comparison of whatever you are planning to execute.. gaming led they are not.. for IT and studio work they are gold standard

[/quote]

An acquaintance of mine recently replaced his dual monitor video-editing setup with one 29" widescreen monitor. IIRC he purchased this one.

^ and i am sure he would be much more happy and productive now.

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:7, topic:21852”]

^ and i am sure he would be much more happy and productive now.

[/quote]

Indeed, he is very happy with the new setup.

In my case, a couple of years ago when I was thinking of upgrading my setup by getting another 15" LCD display for a dual-monitor setup, I got a 21.5" wide screen display (and sold the old 15" display). Benefits: managing cables is easier; extra "real estate" on the desk; and bijli ki bachat!

But, I guess that I have digressed from OP's query.

Asad, would appreciate it if you could tell us what solution did you use.

The PC has 2 DisplayPort and 1 VGA connection available. It can simultaneously drive three displays though it is intended to use two for now, with the option to expand to three if ever needed. Driving DVI or VGA displays from DisplayPort would require conversion adapters, each costing between 1.5-2K.

Having HDMI interface offers the benefit that a screen can be hooked up to a notebook/laptop separately and the same monitor could be used as the third monitor with the PC, if and when needed. VESA mounting capability would allow use of standard dual/triple monitor stands.

The intention here is to have larger workspace (display wise) for opening and working on multiple documents, spreadsheets, programming/debugging, etc. The use is professional office work so ultra fast screens with pro graphics color reproduction is not critical. Even value monitors with thin left/right bezels and having requisite interfaces, size and resolution would suffice.

The idea is to enable one to do quick referencing and to enhance productivity. With multiple screens, one can extend display and drag application(s) to different screens, each snapping to individual screen resolution when maximized. With a single large extra widescreen display, there is a lot more vertical scrolling and applications need to be resized manually. These are just my current observations so there might be stuff I don't know about or even a better way to accomplish the task.

Coming to specific posts:

[quote="Specter, post:4, topic:21852"]

Have you given a thought to buying an IPS LED monitor?

Honestly though, my first experience with an IPS monitor wasn't that great initially, as it has the problem of tinting everything with warm colors. But I guess I am the one with a problematic monitor because I've heard all but good things about color reproduction of IPS panels. I adjusted the color settings a bit and it has been smooth sailing from then on.

Plus, IPS panels offer sweet viewing angels, which I suppose is a point worth considering in a multi-monitor setup.

[/quote]

IPS panels are typically more expensive. However, the Asus one you linked seems reasonably priced but lacks DVI interface. It also lacks VESA compliant mounting holes. Using a digital interface like DVI results in better image reproduction up to individual pixel level.

Frankly, I did not consider czone earlier and just looked at the usual online shops. Now that I did, I also see Asus's VS248H for 19.3K with HDMI, DVI and VGA, plus it is VESA compliant albeit with thicker bezel. Interesting option and I will be looking more at their inventory. Thanks for reminding me about Czone!

Have you compared your monitor with any other IPS panel being used as a computer monitor to see if default settings differ?

[quote="farhan_ds, post:5, topic:21852"]

for precision works, nothing would beat an LG or a Dell studio display.. they have 10bit decoding all the way upto studio level color reproduction with almost full color gamut display of the rgb spectrum and adobe color profile certified..

those are very high end monitors and for accuracy of digital print..

for simple office work and comparing data or spreadsheets or testing websites , thin bezel led choices limit to samsung and Asus. . of them, samsung have more ports at back in latest tech with display port probable option.. hdmi and DVI are standard now.. vga would be impossible to find.. and in any case, DVI to vga adopters can easily be used for 150rs.

viewsonic have very over saturated colors, especilayy the red tone. they look great but cause headache and nausea over extended use.. plus most models except their high end X series may not have many back ports.

[/quote]

The Dell Studio kind of monitors you list are very very good but a single unit costs around 35K or more. Way out of budget and not favorable wrt cost benefit ratio.

Can you provide more information on "Samsung latest tech" series/options?

[quote="tsahar, post:6, topic:21852"]

An acquaintance of mine recently replaced his dual monitor video-editing setup with one 29" widescreen monitor. IIRC he purchased this one.

[/quote]

Addressed in initial write-up at start of this post. If there is a way to overcome the issues, do share.

In 60.5K (cost of Dell UltraSharp U2913WM 73.7 cm (29”) ultrawide monitor which you linked), one can get three separate 24" screens. :)

[quote=“tsahar, post:8, topic:21852”]

Asad, would appreciate it if you could tell us what solution did you use.

[/quote]

I have been preoccupied with work so haven't had too much time to delve into it. I still need to read up, find, compare and then finally select the display.

I will share here when I find an appropriate display in light of ongoing discussion and input.

[quote=“Specter, post:4, topic:21852”]

[/quote]

A video showing the VX239H monitor being used in multi-monitor setup. They cannot be used side-by-side without the gap in between.

is this setup for to monitor / capture live footage from flying rc helicopter? sounds like cool project

[quote=“armada, post:12, topic:21852”]

is this setup for to monitor / capture live footage from flying rc helicopter? sounds like cool project

[/quote]

Third paragraph:

[quote=“Asad, post:9, topic:21852”]

In 60.5K (cost of Dell UltraSharp U2913WM 73.7 cm (29”) ultrawide monitor which you linked), one can get three separate 24" screens. :)

[/quote]

Yes, one can get two very good quality (or three "normal") smaller displays in the price of one Dell 29" ultrawide monitor. There is a saying that "to each his own". As I mentioned earlier, this acquaintance of mine is in the trade of film making, and his use case (or requirements) are definitely different from those of many of us in the forum.

[quote="Asad, post:9, topic:21852"]

The intention here is to have larger workspace (display wise) for opening and working on multiple documents, spreadsheets, programming/debugging, etc. The use is professional office work so ultra fast screens with pro graphics color reproduction is not critical. Even value monitors with thin left/right bezels and having requisite interfaces, size and resolution would suffice.

[/quote]

It seems that your requirements are related to "standard" office work (word processing, spreadsheets, mail client, browser, etc.), and also to software development ("programming/debugging"). Unless we also add desktop publishing (page setting) to the former, and graphics programming to the latter, yes, you are right that normal, value monitors will do the job. As far as I know, among the brand new LCD displays currently available in Karachi that come with 1-3 years of warranty, only ViewSonic VA series and Asus VS series displays fit the bill. Note that many entry-level ViewSonic VA series monitors have VESA mounts. However, it seems that none of the VA series monitors have the DisplayPort interface which is one of your key requirements. Since the market is geared towards HDMI, you may consider getting HDMI displays along with DisplayPort to HDMI adapters.

you could also just buy a cheap multi hdmi graphics card under 5-6k, and SLI/CF them if your mobo is recent, and you have plenty of output options. if you have a recent 2014 board, you can also try (if supported ) to use built in graphics ports along with your main vga for hdmi. (software based sli/cf)

display port to hdmi adopter may be available .. that would solve all your problem for connecting cheap monitors easily.

Having looked at various options, Dell E2214H, E2314H, E2414H (all with DP-DVI, HDMI-DVI/VGA convertors) and some AOC E2461FWH, E2450SWHK, E2360PDA, E2360SDA (with DP-VGA/DVI, HDMI-DVI/VGA convertors) look suitable for the size/cost.

However, with regards to AOC, I did not get positive response about it from the market. I was discouraged from using them (despite availability). Any one know the issues with AOC LCDs in Pakistan? Who is their distributor and who provides their warranty support in Pakistan?

dealers prefer brands where warranty claim is easiest to process, especially in case of lcds, monitors with over saturated colors so majority of the buyers are just fooled into being happy with the perceived high contrast images...also less profit margins from newer brands with lower cost drives lower sales.

any brand that goes for color accuracy will not be liked by majority. thats where dealers personal input becomes misleading.. nexus is the most discouraged brand in hafeez center in mobiles.. imagine that.

Anyone know who is AOC's distributor?

Has no one here used AOC LCD monitors? :)

[quote=“Asad, post:18, topic:21852”]

Anyone know who is AOC's distributor?

[/quote]

I think that ODL are the authorized AOC dealers in Pakistan. Their website [http://odl.com.pk/ ] has contact details.