Multi core processors

I have little info about this so thought it would be better to ask here. Many people i have seen keep jumping around in joy bragging when they get a multi core. I have seen that many people use the absurd formula of 2.4ghz dual core = 2.4x2=4.8 ghz computing power and 2.4 quad core = 2.4x4=9.6 ghz computing power.

What i want to ask is how do they really compare, lets say there is a single core 2.4, dual core and a quad core. How can we compare their computing power? how much is one better then the other?

*edit I know its better for multi-tasking, so dont say "its for multi tasking noob"

I was asking the question in a broader way. in single tasking, gaming, running single applications and stuff etc.

There really is no easy way to compare performance of multi-core chips to that of single cores since it depends on so many factors. The physical architecture and design of the board/chips, the way software takes advantage of multi-cores, the kind of test you put the cores through to benchmark its performance.

Usually multi-core chips are better at running parallel tasks. Since a single core has to divide its time and keep switching between tasks when serving them in parallel, multi-cores can do the job better since each core can simultaneously cater to each task. But you definitely can't just multiply the number of chips with the processing speed of each. Simply doesn't work like that!

The future however is multi-core, since there are physical limits (at least with current chips) to which the processing speed can be increaed. Software is also a major bottleneck. I don't think the software available nowadays really use multi-cores in the most optimized manner.

Also one thing I should mention. The main bottleneck in program execution speed is not the processing power, but the size and speed of the memory! So your hard drive, cache, RAM and Video card are more important than simply how many clock cycles your processor can churn out!

There have been a lot of multi-threaded applications released or in development lately. But it doesn't translate into 2.4x2 because there are too many applications that don't utilize multiple cores, i.e. they aren't multi-threaded.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
Also one thing I should mention. The main bottleneck in program execution speed is not the processing power, but the size speed of the memory! So your hard drive, cache, RAM and Video card are more important than simply how many clock cycles your processor can churn out!
[/quote]

I agree and in many cases, the bottleneck is hard drive. Too few people pay attention to hard drive speed, technology and cache as per my experience.

Furthermore, it's important to pay attention to processor cache, bus speed, and technology overall instead of just scrutinizing over the clock speed and cores.

In multi-core processors or even multi-processors system, you don't use formula of x2 (number of process * speed of each processor).

When using multiple-processors or multi-core processors then gain will be somewhat between 20% to 90% (even theoretically it can never reach 100% due to overheads).

The main attraction is when you are using several applications in shared OS (in all modern OS like BSD, Windows, Linux, OS X etc.) or you use multi-threaded application on a multi-core processor.

Single threaded software will work almost same on both processors (single-core processor and multi-core processor). However, multi-core processor will out-perform with multi-thread software when compare to single-core processor and single-threaded software.

Fe-Aman Allah.

I Am a Dual core processor user and want to ask whether overclocking will make it go to 200% , 100% for each or not. And secondly i can make a judgement that the performace of dual core cannot be shown in xp because xp is an old os (i know

it supports it) whereas vista is made dual core.Please pass comments on this

Regards

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I Am a Dual core processor user and want to ask whether overclocking will make it go to 200% , 100% for each or not. And secondly i can make a judgement that the performace of dual core cannot be shown in xp because xp is an old os (i know

it supports it) whereas vista is made dual core.Please pass comments on this

Regards

[/quote]

u cant over clock that much ur system will become unstable

u can overclock 15-20% or on some good proceesor 40%

but u would also requre good coolin for r system