Mozilla to stop developing Firefox Smartphones

Another alternate mobile phone bites the dust: after the slow and painful demise of the high-end Jolla (Sailfish OS), this time it is the low-end firefox OS phone.

Mozilla Will Stop Developing And Selling Firefox OS Smartphones

http://techcrunch.com/2015/12/08/mozilla-will-stop-developing-and-selling-firefox-os-smartphones/

About time.

While Android rules the world with around 80 per cent of the market share and has matured a lot over the years, it also has its detractors. Android is like the MS Windows of mobile phones -- ubiquitous yet loathsome to some extent. While no OS and device is secure and stable, I think that iOS and iPhones are relatively better but quite unaffordable for the most of us.

When one can't afford iPhone and is wary of the android, then what are the options out there? The Windows Mobile OS (or whatever it is called these days) is indeed very very promising, but there is a lot of uncertainty regarding its future. Jolla/Sailfish OS and firefox OS are almost dead. Lets see what happens to Tizen and Ubuntu. Since I believe in diversity -- "let a hundred flowers bloom; let a hundred schools of thought contend" -- I think that these "minor" platforms are important for the overall development of phone OS.

[quote=“tsahar, post:3, topic:22422”]

While Android rules the world with around 80 per cent of the market share and has matured a lot over the years, it also has its detractors. Android is like the MS Windows of mobile phones – ubiquitous yet loathsome to some extent.

[/quote]

Actually, :PMS Windows is like the MS Windows of mobile phones – :D

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:4, topic:22422”]

Actually, :PMS Windows is like the MS Windows of mobile phones – :D

[/quote]

:slight_smile:

I partially agree with you. In terms of market share, however, the MS Windows OS is omnipresent and has tons of software applications which is not the case with Windows Mobile. Yes, both have been criticized a lot. Almost everyone agrees that Windows Mobile OS is sleek and responsive, but some people may have issues with the UI/UX. The most common criticism is the smaller size of app store on Windows Mobile OS. Then there are some missing features in some apps available on the Windows Mobile compared with their counterparts on iOS and Android.