Motherboard Gpu Support

I have a motherboard Asus P5QPL-Am, it has PCI-e 1.1 architecture, im planning to buy a graphic card (ATI HD 6790), all the latest graphic cards support PCI-e 2.1 architecture, i've heard that the card may cause problems to perform, what should do i do ?

[quote=“Ozmayne, post:, topic:”]

I have a motherboard Asus P5QPL-Am, it has PCI-e 1.1 architecture, im planning to buy a graphic card (ATI HD 6790), all the latest graphic cards support PCI-e 2.1 architecture, i’ve heard that the card may cause problems to perform, what should do i do ?

[/quote]

What is your power supply? if power supply is good then hopefully it should not create any problem.

power supply ka koi masla nae, i will buy a new one with the graphic card..

Thats not a problem at all. You can use any version of PCI-E GPU on any version of PCI-E Slot, and vice versa. It won't cause any problems. Your GPU just won't be able to perform as good as it can, that's all.

Well I guess it's useless to spend 14-15 K on card that will not give you that output for what it is designed for, and then if you don't have a good power supply at least 500 Watt I guess, total 20,000 rps for low results, but if you are stuck on this card then I'll suggest you to upgrade your Motherboard as well, that will be more wise and by spending extra 5-7 K you'll get really powerful output from the same card. Other wise don't spend too much on card. And also if you can wait, PCIe 3.0 is going to launch in next month or in December.

PCIe v2.0 gpus are backwards compatible with PCIe v1.0/1.1 slots so it would not likely to cause any problems if ur psu supports it beside there's fact that PCIe v2.0 provides 16 GB/s of bandwidth if compared with PCIe v1.0/1.1 which is limited to 8 GB/s but as far as i know the bandwidth of PCIe depends upon the FSB of the processor that's why u could'nt achieve any peformance advantage of being running a PCIe v2.0 card in PCIe v2.0 slot unless u hav a processor which is capable to utilize the benefit of 16 GB/s bandwidth

Same problem for which i was worried about, but it doesn't make alot of difference.

is it possible to set up four monitors at the same time using two graphics cards running in crossfire mode ?

HD 5400 and beyond can support up to 6 at same time. It's labelled as Eyefinity I think. I always wanted to try it, but need some connector peripheral thingamajigum...