Mobilink Mobile Money Order (MMO)

mobilink has just launched much awaited money order services today. at last cellular sector of Pakistan has jumped onto the much anticipated mobile-commerce bandwagon thingy.

don't know if it is a new news as i hav just watched the ad on tv.

details will follow shortly.

Hmmm... interesting stuff.

how does this work?

Yup, what is the working procedure?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Yup, what is the working procedure?
[/quote]

see the FAQ here

http://www.mobilinkworld.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=225&Itemid=645

The points that I understand (through advertisement):

* Fill up form at GPO.

* Get some identification number for transactions.

* Send/receive money using SMS (or similar procedure).

* There is transaction limit of Rs. 10,000 (which is very low).

The points that I don't understand:

* After filling form at GPO and getting identification number, how to use that service (send/receive money), it's obscure and not explained.

* How to "load" money to send?

* How to "cash" money that was received?

* Can prepaid/postpaid accounts load through "scratch cards"?

* Will government deduct 15% GST when we load money through scratch-cards (for sending money)? If so then it will be the most expensive bank-transaction (money transfer) in Pakistan (even expensive then illegal Hundi).

-------------

Furthermore, what are the Mobilink's charges? They are not explained at all and are very obscure, falls into the category of "hidden charges".

* What about initial charges by Mobilink?

* Registration charges by Mobilink?

* Loading money charges by Mobilink?

* Cashing money charges by Mobilink?

* Each transaction charges by Mobilink?

--------------------

Anybody can shed light on it? It's a great idea but still need some clarifications from Mobilink's side.

please visit http://www.mobilinkworld.com/index.php? … Itemid=645 for details...

The process overall is quite simple.

You need to register first in order to access you MMO account. Visit a Post Office, with your CNIC, and provide your Mobilink number to register.

To deposit money in your account, you will pay cash to the Post Office and receive a confirmation SMS.

To Withdraw money, you will visit a Post Office and ask for a withdrawal. You will receive a SMS asking for your permission.

To send money to someone, you will use an SMS command to send any amount (should be available in your MMO account) to any Mobilink number.

There are no hidden charges. In fact, MMO is one of the cheapest ways of transferring money;

Registration is free!

Cash-In (deposit at a Post Office) costs rs. 20

Cash-out costs Rs. 20

Transfer costs Rs. 20 as well.

So in Rs. 40, and within seconds literally, you can send money to any Mobilink number.

In my opinion, Mobilink has given the !@#$ public something that they need: Simple, cheap, cutting-edge technology that brings convenience in every day life. I for one, have started using the service and have already made payments from Islamabad to Karachi through this service. Doing the same through a bank would have taken me 3-4 days, and a lot more money!

The only problems that i see with this service is:

1. It is only being offered to a limited cities

2. The limits are very low (10K per transfer and cash-in, 20K per withdrawal per day).

one problem that I see is the taxes, they are also too much as far as I understand.

please visit http://www.mobilinkworld.com/index.php? … Itemid=645 for details...

The process overall is quite simple.

You need to register first in order to access you MMO account. Visit a Post Office, with your CNIC, and provide your Mobilink number to register.

To deposit money in your account, you will pay cash to the Post Office and receive a confirmation SMS.

To Withdraw money, you will visit a Post Office and ask for a withdrawal. You will receive a SMS asking for your permission.

To send money to someone, you will use an SMS command to send any amount (should be available in your MMO account) to any Mobilink number.

There are no hidden charges. In fact, MMO is one of the cheapest ways of transferring money;

Registration is free!

Cash-In (deposit at a Post Office) costs rs. 20

Cash-out costs Rs. 20

Transfer costs Rs. 20 as well.

So in Rs. 40, and within seconds literally, you can send money to any Mobilink number.

In my opinion, Mobilink has given the !@#$ public something that they need: Simple, cheap, cutting-edge technology that brings convenience in every day life. I for one, have started using the service and have already made payments from Islamabad to Karachi through this service. Doing the same through a bank would have taken me 3-4 days, and a lot more money!

The only problems that i see with this service is:

1. It is only being offered to a limited cities

2. The limits are very low (10K per transfer and cash-in, 20K per withdrawal per day).

[/quote]

well went through the website link given above. understood that i have to go to postoffice to open accout (rs. 30) then my family in other city has to go postoffice to open account (rs. 30). then i deposit money in postoffice (rs. 20) then i send it from mobile phone (rs. 20) then family member goes to his postoffice and withdraws money (rs. 20), wow, is anyone adding the costs. rs. 30+ rs. 30 + 20+20+20 = rs. 120 for sending money plus visits to postoffice on both sides etc. normaly money order used to cost rs. 50 and one simple visit to post office.

Mobilink Mobile Money Order is good. Good job Mobilink but too late and too little. Why? Let me compare it a little bit:

For example, a comparison between MCB Bank Online Service and Mobilink Mobile Money Order. For this example, I am taking MCB Bank to compare, however, it might be true for some other banks too.

Notes:

Person-ABC lives in Karachi.

Person-XYZ lives in Lahore.

Mobilink Mobile Money Order:

1) Person-ABC goes to GPO and open an account for MMO.

2) Person-XYZ goes to GPO and open an account for MMO.

3) Person-ABC send money using Mobilink's SMS to Person-XYZ's account.

4) Person-XYZ goes to GPO and cash money from his account.

MCB Online Banking Server

1) Person-ABC goes to MCB bank and open an account.

1) Person-XYZ goes to MCB bank and open an account.

3) Person-ABC login into MCB Online Server using his computer and electronically send money (transfer money) to Person-XYZ's account.

4) Person-XYZ goes to bank and cash money from his account.

---------

Both procedures are same but both have their advantages and disadvantages.

1) Mobilink will not give any profit on your money while they held it. MCB will give you profit on your money while it's in your Saving Account.

2) You can pay utility bills through MCB, while you can't do this using Mobilink's MMO service.

3) You need a computer and internet access to utilize MCB's Online Services. Whereas, you need a cellphone to utilize Mobilink's MMO services.

That's why I said that it's too little. While banks gives you same service but with other advantages too.

What do you think guys? Which you'll prefer, a bank's online service or Mobilink's MMO service?

For myself, as of yet now, I'll go for banks' online services because they have more advantages than Mobilink's MMO services.

No interest! No utility bills paying! Lame service!

well, good comparison. but thinking in terms of the masses, who do not use internet, MMO seems way better, more far-reaching, more convenient, and appealing to the ordinary pakistani. i do not think Mobilink was trying to invent something here...

the price comparison in the earlier post is also a little off-target. because:

1. you are comparing apples to oranges... the 50 Rs money order takes a minimum of four days to get delivered.

2. the only comparable mode of money transfer is FAX money order which costs Rs. 150. So MMO is actually cheaper. (not to mention the very limited reach of FAX money orders)

1. you are comparing apples to oranges… the 50 Rs money order takes a minimum of four days to get delivered.

2. the only comparable mode of money transfer is FAX money order which costs Rs. 150. So MMO is actually cheaper. (not to mention the very limited reach of FAX money orders)

[/quote]

Don’t compare MMO with Money Order or Fax Money Order. Compare MMO with Internet Banking. Transferring money from bank’s one account to bank’s second account is easy and less expensive than MMO. Take for example of MCB’s Internet Banking Services.

In MCB’s Internet Banking:

1) It’s far easier to transfer money from one account to second account.

2) The charges of money transfer are far lower than Mobilink’s MMO.

3) MCB Bank pays you profit on money in your Saving Account.

4) You can pay utility bills using internet banking.

Furthermore, Mobilink is too late and they are desperate because they are losing big market share (cellphone market share). MMO is very common in other Asian (Far East and South Asian) countries where you can even pay utility bills and many other items.

Can I use Mobilink’s MMO service to order pizza? I don’t think so because their service charges are more than pizza itself. Or can I pay using MMO when I bought groceries from a large departmental story?

Mobilink is way too late.