.mkv format

i was searching the pirate bay for a movie and came across a movie in .mkv format

DELETED

From the screenshots the uploader has given, the quality looks awesome but the file size is only 350mb? has anyone ever downloaded .mkv format before? are they low in file size?

Thats the Matroska format (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matroska). Yes I've downloaded a lot of videos in that format before and yes they tend to have a smaller file size while maintaining quality. VLC should play it just fine.

^ Thanks, i am downloading it now

^Yep! Matroska Format(.mkv) is one of the trusted formats being smaller in size and with a lot of quality.

I, rather, give priority to download this format at first and then search for any other format if the I don't find in (.mkv)

And yes VLC should play it fine. but I usually faced trouble with it playing .mkv when navigating manually on seekbar. It gets smudged... I use MPC with full codecs. It works good.

On my cousins laptop it doesn't play. Any solution? May be a good graphic card is a prerequsite.

Yes .mkv files have better quality

Mine laptop plays 720p videos perfectly however 1080p gets scrambled. Yup graphic card might have a role to play.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

On my cousins laptop it doesn’t play. Any solution? May be a good graphic card is a prerequsite.
[/quote]

However the better the graphics memory, the better the video quality and smoothness is. But it doesn’t require any dedicated graphics memory as you are supposing.

If a supported codecs are found on your computer, the media should play and shouldn’t make any problem. You might face a lagging video and low quality if it’s your graphics card making any problem, even though it should play if other media files (AVI, MP4, etc…) are playable.

Download a latest k-lite mega codec pack. or download codec pack specifically for Matroska from http://packs.matroska.org/

Also make sure you play a verified playable media file.

yes k lite is the best codec for that

quicktime is best for this format !

.mkv is basically a container not a codec. The actual content can be encoded using a wide number of codecs and then packaged in an .mkv container. Typically the codec used with .mkv is H264 and this is the reason the video quality is better for a given file size, compared to .avi with divx.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

On my cousins laptop it doesn’t play. Any solution? May be a good graphic card is a prerequsite.
[/quote]

dude you need to provide some info so one could help you

what type of player you are try to play from

.mkv 1080p won’t play on my atom based computer but 720p plays awesome

maybe if the laptop is too old then even .mkv 480p won’t play

its always better to have some basic hardware and type of .mkv file info so one could go forward from

even if laptop got 500 meg ram video card, if it got old IDE 2.5 HDD then your video card with all the goodies can’t do s-hit, since the read speed of HDD may not be fast enough to keep up with real time playback

many factors