Mitsubishi's Mr. Slim, less energy consumption?

According to this,

http://www.mrslim.com/Products/itemDetail.asp?ProductSubCategoryID=139&ProductCategoryID=24&ProductID=1495

and the wikipedia article,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_energy_efficiency_ratio

Mr. slim uses 22,200 (BTU) / 16 (SEER) Wh .. which is less than 1400watts. How's that possible? All the other A/Cs I have seen, in similar capacity, use at least 2000wh.

What am I missing :rolleyes: ?

I don't know about the numbers, but when I was getting a split and doing research, the Mitsubishi unit was the most efficient, and I ended up getting it.

Does any one know what the smallest (in terms of cooling) unit of the Mr. Slim series is in Pakistan? On the website they show small units, but those do not appear to be 230V units. Any ideas? I need them for a very small room, around 10x12 and a lot of them =)

I know they have 1 ton units, not sure about 0.75 though. You would probably want a 0.75, though a 1 ton would be fine too.

There is also a multi split option, where one outdoor unit powers 2-4 indoor units - in an office you could use something like that. It's cheaper and uses less bijli than 4 seperate units.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I know they have 1 ton units, not sure about 0.75 though. You would probably want a 0.75, though a 1 ton would be fine too.

There is also a multi split option, where one outdoor unit powers 2-4 indoor units - in an office you could use something like that. It’s cheaper and uses less bijli than 4 seperate units.

[/quote]

One outdoor unit with 4 indoor outlets, that’s what I am looking for. Now I wonder how long ducting is possible and much expensive ducting will be for 4 indoor outlets?

Fe-Aman Allah.

Is the Multi-split option only available from Mr. Slim or is it available from other companies as well?I ask because I need to install around 20 air conditioners, 5 to a floor, in rooms that are 10x12, so the idea size is approximately ~0.75 tons per unit.

Could you point me in the direction of more information about the Multi-split unit? The Mr Slim website is a global website and not Pakistan-specific. The multisplit options are also heating / cooling, anyone know if there is a Pakistani Variant with Cooling only?

No one's got an idea how does it compare with other brands in terms of electricity consumption?

Asad_N:

I am doing some research on the subject, when I do have a complete set of results, I'll post them here for your and other individuals use. That being said, if KO says he has done his research and found them to be the lowest energy consumption, I think thats a pretty good indicaton of what the result may be.

Till then, sit tight =)

That was then, what I actually found out that a rotary compressor uses less energy than the older style piston compressors, which you get in some brands like General and others - but now a lot of the AC's have shifted to rotary compressors, so overall most new ac's should have similar energy usage.

I suspect the Japanese designed ones would be more efficient in general than the Chinese ones.

Do try ACSON

its Malaysian company and in Islamabad they are giving Mitsu a tough competition

Is there anybody who have experienced of having one outdoor unit with two or more indoor units? If so then please share information with us.

I would like to know that is it possible to install one outdoor unit with three indoor units?

I am planning to install three indoor units (in three different rooms) with one outdoor units. The third indoor unit will not run everyday. Is it possible to close (shutdown) one or two indoor units while other indoor units operates (cool the room). In that way, I'll be able to save energy by cooling only those room that are in use, and not wasting energy by cooling those rooms that are not in use for that day.

Any kind of information is welcome. Thank you.

Fe-Aman Allah.

Whats the price for Mr slim 1.5ton , nowadays.?

Whats the price for Mr slim 1.5ton , nowadays.?
[/quote]

I believe it’s 36k rs.

@Raza I've tried pretty much all the better A/C brands there are. You asked earlier about a smaller 1 ton .75 unit. I have a Haier 1 ton unit installed in almost the same sized room you want to install in (10x10). On a really hot day in Lahore I still can't set the unit to below 27C. The cooling and the air throw is just awesome. It's so good infact that I have a 22x16 adjoining room separated by a glass door, if I set the unit to around 20c and open the glass doors with fans running in the larger room it gets pretty comfortable. The 1.5 ton Haier's are luck of the draw, some pieces perform to compete with LG, Mitsubishi and some are below average.

@harriscl I just bought two units of Mr Slim, the 1.5 ton cost me Rs. 34,300 and the 2 ton cost me Rs. 45,000.

Btw a friend was telling me the other day that he saw lots of repacked units for sale on a recent trip to Peshawar. They were used, but looked and performed as good as brand new. Prices were almost half of the brand new ones. If anyone of you is interested I can probably get that guys number. I bought a second hand Japanese made Daiken for an office about 8 years ago, still works fine.

@harriscl I just bought two units of Mr Slim, the 1.5 ton cost me Rs. 34,300 and the 2 ton cost me Rs. 45,000.

Btw a friend was telling me the other day that he saw lots of repacked units for sale on a recent trip to Peshawar. They were used, but looked and performed as good as brand new. Prices were almost half of the brand new ones. If anyone of you is interested I can probably get that guys number. I bought a second hand Japanese made Daiken for an office about 8 years ago, still works fine.

[/quote]

Abbas, do you have any energy consumption benchmarks :) ? Or well, a rough idea on which ones consume less?

Nopes sorry Asad, I don't, a benchmark would be great though. I tried to measure once by turning off all electric equipement except the A/C and timing the units consumed but the electrician who wired my house was a incompetent illiterate schmuck. Even with the main switch off my wapda meter still keeps running because he messed up some wires and hooked up some of the downstairs load to the upstairs meter and vice versa.

Generally Mitsubishi's consumes the least amount of amperage, reading from stickers on the sides on the units. I've also never met a dissatisfied Mitsubishi user as well. I tried the General 2 ton Piston A/C it was crap, I had it removed and replaced it with two 1.5 ton Haier units. When I want to cool the room, I turn them both on for 10 mins, the room cools instantly with both units at work, then I switch one off and the other maintains the temperature. I have lots of Haier units btw they generally work great and are pretty decent on power consumption.

Not to impressed with the L.G's any more. I bought a 1.5 ton unit in 2002, used it heavily, it still performs better than brand new 2 ton L.G's, never had a problem, never even had it serviced. Last year one of the new L.G's 2 ton conked out, I was getting it serviced and the technician wiped the outside plastic grill with a wet cloth and the "Plasma Gold" letters came off. It now says MA OLD ;) L.G has started cutting corners.

Btw I'm impressed with the Panasonic's. Nice to look at, the best air throw I've seen and decent cooling. I was in two minds but I went for the Mitsubishi.

LG is crap

I've been using the Mr. Slim's for a week now. The 1.5 ton is great, the air throw is good, the cooling is good, it's quiet and consumes a very reasonable amount of electricity compared to other A/c. I had an amp meter hooked up to my mains running just the a/c, a few lights and a fridge and the total amps used were 13. I think this is easily the best 1.5 ton unit out there.

The 2 ton unit is a mixed blessing for me. The cooling and air throw are great, I replaced an L.G 2 ton Plasma Gold with this unit and the Mitsubishi easily outperforms the LG. On the flip side my 20 amp breaker would trip repeatedly every time the compressor turned on. The L.G tripped perhaps half a dozen times in 3 years and the Mitsubishi tripped half a dozen times in one night. What that means is that the initial amperage required by the unit is much higher than the L.G. That means nothing if you're running it on normal electricity since in the long run (by general opinion) it consumes less power than the L.G but if you're running it off a generator you have to keep atleast 20 amps spare just to run this unit. On a 12 KVA unit like I have that's about 60 % capacity.

Hi,

I am into HVAC business and after reading all the posts i would like to add some info. I have Visited Factories of most popular Brands of A/C units (Split Type, Package type, Absorption Chillers, Water Cooled/Air Colled Chillers etc etc)

This discussion is on split units lets focus on it.

I saw Acson, McQuay,Mitsubishi, York and Daikin being manufactured under one roof in Malaysia. So the quality is same if they are made/shipped from Malaysia. Compressor used in these brands may be different which is a reason of Price difference. I have checked my self the AMP mentioned on Label matches with the actual taken by unit. Please note that Installation do matter on the life and performance of A/C unit.

L.G (Cooling Only) is assembled in Pakistan with Korean Parts and may be local parts too.

L.G (Reversible) is imported from Korea.

Almost 60% of the A.C units in local market are made in China. Some of them are very good and the rest with very low life.

Lets come to Enegry Saving...

Initial Cost of every energy saving component is higher, like enery saver lights, Solar Panel, Wind turbine, LCD's, TFT etc etc. same is the case with Airconditioning Equipment.

VFD (Variable Frequecy Drive), MDS (Multi Digital Scroll) and a lot more options are available.

Some one asked "Is it possible to connect two or three indoor units with one outdoor unit".

Yes its possbile. We have installed upto 14 indoor units with one large outdoor unit. Its a new technology. Manufacturer have different names for it like MDS, VFD, VRV etc etc

In the end i would like to say that before purchasing any x,y,z unit, calculate heat load of the area. check the performance of various brands by inspecting it installed at different locations and age of unit. Customer Service is the first thing to see.

Regards

Any one tried Inverter type Mitusibishi Split? Energy consumption?