Minimum requirement for 1080p movie playback

I just downloaded the HD version of Pulp Fiction which happens to be around 10GB in size When i try to play the movie, it lags at times and most of the time the playback is not smooth.. It seems as if im watching it in slow motion.. I have Vista codec package installed on my system which is a P4 3.06 with 1.5 GB of ram.. I thought it was good enough to be playing HD content. Am i missing something here?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I just downloaded the HD version of Pulp Fiction which happens to be around 10GB in size When i try to play the movie, it lags at times and most of the time the playback is not smooth… It seems as if im watching it in slow motion… I have Vista codec package installed on my system which is a P4 3.06 with 1.5 GB of ram… I thought it was good enough to be playing HD content. Am i missing something here?
[/quote]

firstly what screen resolution do u have?

and these r tthe requirments i found

2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo or faster

At least 1GB of RAM

128MB or greater video card

You need a good graphics card to play HD.

7300GT is what i have, screen resolution is 1024x768

7300GT is what i have, screen resolution is 1024x768
[/quote]

thats too low to play even 720p u need a resolution of 1280x720 and 1080p requires a resolution of 1900x1080

So no option left then?

just update your video card and display>>i have 7300gt too but it does not support the resolution needed to play hd>>i think your processor and ram are ok though

check out the article below

http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/highdefdvd_test_page1.html

i think rather than downloading the full hd dvds... you should try and download the hd dvdrips which would still be better than a dvd i think

I just downloaded the HD version of Pulp Fiction which happens to be around 10GB in size When i try to play the movie, it lags at times and most of the time the playback is not smooth… It seems as if im watching it in slow motion… I have Vista codec package installed on my system which is a P4 3.06 with 1.5 GB of ram… I thought it was good enough to be playing HD content. Am i missing something here?
[/quote]

10 GB…wow which connection you use and how much time it took to download and also which site you downloaded it from.? thanx.

and also check the cards nvidia 8400/8500 i think they are very cheap and designed specifically for the purpose of viewing HD content (they wont do much of gaming)

Try http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ - this should be able to play full HD easily on a P4. Also download the latest video drivers.

Yesterday i was talking to a friend who told me that the CRTs with 4:3 aspect ratio cannot run HD, i need a widescreen LCD to get the best result
[/quote]

this is not correct. i have a 17" monitor supporting resolutions above N x 720p. So i can play 720p movies.

For optimum viewing experience one does need a widescreen monitor to efficiently play 16:9 format.

[/quote]

i would recommend to start off with 720p videos in matroska container. The h.264 format 720p videos are half the size of a full 1080p file, and they carry multi channel sound as well. VLC plays these files beautifully, and while 1080p lines are the maximum you could right now, 720p can really get the job done, and your current setup may be able to handle it, without the need to upgrade.

Just get Decent DVDrips, Xvidz, good ones are superb quality, if you want HD playback, get a 3850 atleast and a bigger monitor, even on a 17incher there is no point of playing HD, its no different.

I downloaded Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest 720p trailer. My o my!!!!!! what a quality that is.....the clarity is AWESOME!!!

It was just a 2 min 6 seconds trailer but file size is.....62.7 MB!!!!

I wonder how 1080p will look like....it must be out of this world...will download it.

and out of the world disk space :P .. i heard and i know its tru tht converting these 1080p or i movies to 700 mb files tht have best quality and everything takes 4 to 5 hours even on a quad-core cpu's.. cuz extreme settings are used to convert.. think how much time other slower cpu's will take :mad:

and out of the world disk space :P … i heard and i know its tru tht converting these 1080p or i movies to 700 mb files tht have best quality and everything takes 4 to 5 hours even on a quad-core cpu’s… cuz extreme settings are used to convert… think how much time other slower cpu’s will take :mad:
[/quote]

quadcore is no good for these tasks coz these are single threaded tasks you will notice that these conversion will finish faster on a 3 ghz dual core or single core processor than a 2.66 ghz quad core processor

yes x264 is good for this stuff with matroska container the average size an movie would be 2.5-4 gb

yes vlc lags on 1080p on my pc.. i am using 1600/900 reso on lg 710E monitor (terrible never buy it, getting the 19" lcd but is short :( ]... 720 is awesome but 1080p lagd... when i changed the reso to as*kikn* 1920/1200 and it still agd.. lol 1920/1200 is too much for 17inch dont u think tht? laging must be the isue of codec but even 720 is good enough.