Mind your language

This must be one of the few British Comedy series which became quite popular in Pakistan, at least, once again, with those who could understand English.

There was a Pakistani Character in this series called Ali, and I think that the Jamila character was also a Pakistani. These two with the presence of the Sikh character made it an interesting viewing.

The jokes were quite funny, at times they got hilarious.

I am not sure about the exact premiere date of this program in Pakistan; I am assuming that since the program went out in England around 1979, it started played in Pakistan around 1982-1983, since I remember some of the episodes.

Memorable phrases:

* Ali Nadim (Pakistani): "Squeeze me please!", "Oh Blimey!", "Jolly Good","you damn fool!"

* Giovanni Cupello (Italian): "Santa Maria!", "Holy Ravioli!", "Silenzo!", "Hokay Kokay!"

* Maximillian Papandrious (Greek): "Hokay!", "ok boss"

* Jamila Rahjha (Indian): "God heavening!","...master ji..."

* Deloris Courtney (the prim-and-proper English headmistress): "MISS Courtney, if you don't mind."

* Ranjeet Singh (Indian Sikh): "A thousand apologies."

* Chung Su-Lee (Chinese): "Chairman Mao, he says..." "The Democlatic Lepublic Of China", "...peace-roving Chinese!"

* Taro Nagazumi (Japanese): "Ah-so" (proceeds forward and bows)

* Juan Cervantes (Spanish): "Por favor?","s'awright", "One fate/fete/fit, Two fate/fete/fit!", "Wrong number!"

* Zoltan Szabo (Hungarian): "Bocsánat?"

* Anna Schmidt (German): "Wery Good!"

* Gladys the tea lady (English): "Her ladyship wants to see you"

* Jeremy Brown (English): "Is the old dragon in?"

* Sid the caretaker (English): "You sure you got the right cucumber?"

:lol:

Those still make me laugh! Although I wasn't around when they first aired, I've seen a lot of their episodes. The characters were all funny and memorable.

on the american side the simpson character "apu" is very popular>>he used to work in a quickee mart, these small superstores that are on every corner there>>catch phrase was, "thank you, come again'

lately a canadian comedy about a small moslem community in small town canada is running well called, "little mosque on the praire"

the simpsons and little house on the prairie + mind your language is avaialble by season in pakistan

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

There was a Pakistani Character in this series called Ali, and I think that the Jamila character was also a Pakistani. These two with the presence of the Sikh character made it an interesting viewing.
[/quote]

I have been downloading and watching it for a month now. Jameela or Jamila, was from India. I am not sure why the writer’s used this name, as she gives a “Bell” to Mr Brown (in Episode 6 Season 1) which she refers to something related to “Holy Cow”.

my childhood memories

Mind your language, CHIPS, Knight Rider, Air Woolf, Six Million Dollar Man, Popeye the sailor

Ali used to say : "Jally Good" :D

no doubt abt that !!

bt they are gud !!