Microsoft vs Yahoo

So guys what do you say about the showdown between Yahoo and Microsoft? Microsoft has threatened to go hostile (according to their CEO Steve Ballmer) after the deadline which is Saturday. Yahoo has to accept the offer or else Microsoft will go directly to shareholders. Interesting story developing and don't know what will happen?

Does any one remember Oracle's take over of PeopleSoft a couple of years back!???

poor yahooligans.

Today was the deadline for Yahoo! to decide wasn't it?

Yes but they are 12 hours behind so there is still some time. But still I don't think they will be able to reach an agreement until Monday if they work really fast.

whats the fuss b/w yahoo & MS about?

Microsoft wants to buy Yahoo @ $44.6 billion. Yahoo says increase the amount while Microsoft says it's already higher.

It's just a pressure tactic. Buying Yahoo is a waste of money.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

It’s just a pressure tactic. Buying Yahoo is a waste of money.
[/quote]

i dont think soo … :)

Yahoo has no choice, either assimilate with Microsoft or fade in to irrelevance in the next 2-3 years.

Outside of Flickr, does any one really use Yahoo! any more? I used to play some games on their Games website, but that was it. Yahoo will go the way of Altavista sooner than later.

Yahoo! is lagging far behind Microsoft and Google as can be seen from their stock prices. The company has been on the decline. Currently, the only services I use on Yahoo are email and groups service.

I use Yahoo Mail regularly, but that's about it, really. It looks difficult to avoid getting bought for them right now... someone will be bought by someone - that is a surety!

MS certainly likes to stick its fingers in a lot of honey-pots...

Right now they are in the desktop OS business, mobile phone OS business, word processing/spreadsheets business, games development and publishing business, game consoles, web mail, search engine, instant messaging, mp3 players....

Microsoft's going to benefit from the enlarged market share in search traffic, plus the advertising services of Yahoo. Microsoft's own services are going to benefit with the merger of these services, i.e. ads and search.

It's at least not as worse as Intel stepping into a completely different market, i.e. web widgets and mashups. Can't they stick to what they do best, i.e. computer chips?

I dont think anyone uses Yahoo as a search engine anymore apart from a couple of services I really cant see why Microsoft is interested in them or maybe they plan to go head to head against Google in future.

Name the Yahoo! properties that mean anything in this day and age.

Flickr

Yahoo! Mail

Yahoo! Games

????

only flickr seems to be good service

Yahoo Games Pool , i like :P

Yahoo Games Pool , i like :P
[/quote]

It’s like the O.C, you kinda get hooked on to it for a while… then it starts to become lame and fades away from ur regular routine…

i have yahoo’s home page book marked, visit quite a bit actually, it has a decent snapshot of whats going around… plus some interesting, weird, funny stories from time to time…

Name the Yahoo! properties that mean anything in this day and age.

Flickr

Yahoo! Mail

Yahoo! Games

???

[/quote]

Few of their mains in the business are: advertising (advertisers, publisher - Yahoo Publishers Network), search (the biggest!), del.icio.us, Flickr, Yahoo Mail, and other yahoo small business services. Furthermore, their Yahoo Developer’s Network is pretty popular especially with their yahoo javascript library YUI.

I’m surprised you didn’t list search there.

Microsoft wants to buy Yahoo @ $44.6 billion. Yahoo says increase the amount while Microsoft says it’s already higher.
[/quote]

so they wana stand yahoo against G0ogLe

nice idea i support it cuz one man show should end now