Microsoft lies to XP users—and they start to love Vista

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

In about two weeks, Redmond has managed to turn a marketing idea into something that may just shock you. Microsoft blogger Ina Fried is reporting that Microsoft managed to trick XP users in San Francisco into loving Vista simply by telling them a small fib. The company told these users that they were using a new version of Windows, codenamed “Mojave.” When asked about their experience with using Mojave, over 90 percent said they were impressed with what they saw. Then Microsoft told them they had been using Vista all along.

The company hasn’t figured out how it will use this to market Vista (the company has video footage of users exclaiming “wow!” and so on), but the Mojave project will likely help in Microsoft’s plan to tell the “real Vista story.” This is some real ammo here: these are XP lovers saying they love Vista, not just more Microsoft employees giving statements to sell the software giant’s latest operating system.

Bill Veghte, Microsoft’s senior vice president of Online Services & Windows Business Group and the man who recently outlined the Windows roadmap, strongly believes that Vista’s negative opinion by many users is due to poor perceptions created by the media, from Apple’s anti-Vista ads to many journalists spewing Vista hate because it brings in the hits. Mojave is a perfect example of this—to an extent. Microsoft has time and again admitted that Vista has its problems, but has also emphasized that the majority of problems have been fixed. What’s your take on the Mojave story?

[/quote]

http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2008/07/24/microsoft-lies-to-xp-users-and-they-start-to-love-vista

hmmmm

Its true that there is a lot of bias against OS's. People would hate Vista, even though they've never tried it, or people would think Linux is the hardest OS ever to use even though they never even saw it. Overall, Vista was a bit of a let down as an upgrade to XP after so long spent developing, so many delays in release and so much media hype created by Microsoft. In the end, to each his own. We don't need to declare one OS as the best in the world, as long as people are happy using whats installed on their machines! :)

^ True.

Good..Turst me Vista is far better then XP if you have good machine.I have not faced any issue like death screen etc in it.Running it on my laptop for almost 25 days now without a single reboot and it is stable.

Like Sah said.....

If its working for you, you should feel happy doesn't matter if its win95..... :| :)

well whenever i tried to install vista it don't detect my embeded speakers in my laptop and don;t install sound drivers

so i have bad experience in vista

obviously upgrading to vista has its problems but if you have a modern computer and can get vista installed properly then its wonderful... cant blame vista if you dont know how to get your computer working on it... i think its best to wait and buy a new computer that already has vista though

well whenever i tried to install vista it don’t detect my embeded speakers in my laptop and don;t install sound drivers

so i have bad experience in vista

[/quote]

I have the same experience (sound issue) with linux, specifically SUSE. That distro always gets the normal sound chip (Creative Soundblaster Live 24bit) confused with the TV card sound output (Conexant sound chip).

My laptop came with Vista and within in the first three days it BSODed and i didnt even install an application on it

so i have a bad experience with vista but i dont hate Vista itself i just hate windows in general but thats just me

I have the same experience (sound issue) with linux, specifically SUSE. That distro always gets the normal sound chip (Creative Soundblaster Live 24bit) confused with the TV card sound output (Conexant sound chip).

[/quote]

Asad have u tried the new version of ubuntu(8.04) it uses a newer sound archietecture Pulse Audio which solves many of the sound problems ppl have had

SUSE uses Alsa, if I am not wrong.... Ubuntu versions work fine. It's just SUSE and maybe Fedora which have issues.

SUSE uses Alsa, if I am not wrong… Ubuntu versions work fine. It’s just SUSE and maybe Fedora which have issues.
[/quote]

yes it does and have u tried using ARTS in place of ALSA?

No, but I did spend hell of a lot of time trying to configure Alsa before giving up on the stupid thing.

That shouldn't be a problem now. My 320GB HDD containing my collection of Linux distros was practically raped by Wapda's load sheddng and has lost all data. Very few of the distros were recoverable and I don't even know if the recovered cd/dvd images are corrupt or not.

LINUX is cool but takes some time getting used to.

all those Vista haters probably haven't given vista a try just like said above.

Vista is like L0VE, once u get in, you dont and cant get out or away from it ;)

its pretty damn solid OS. I've been using SP1 rock solid without any issues for the past couple of months.

its wayyyy better than previous versions.

Vista isn't that bad! people who haven't tried it or haven't used it on good enough PC are trying to degrade it

i would love to upgrade to vista but i need to upgrade my system before that!

Vista is the most beautiful OS from Microsoft so far. I used hardy with compiz fusion for a week for a project, and played with a lot of effects, but it comes nowhere near vista

Only the cube desktop impressed me.

Vista is the most beautiful OS from Microsoft so far. I used hardy with compiz fusion for a week for a project, and played with a lot of effects, but it comes nowhere near vista

Only the cube desktop impressed me.

[/quote]

check this post and then tell me which has more eye candy

http://www.geekishblog.com/2008/07/different-3d-effects-in-ubuntu/

Ok lets not get into the Linux vs Windows war again. I think we've seen enough of those already and we all know people won't agree on any one OS being the best, so why bother!

When asked about their experience with using Mojave, over 90 percent said they were impressed with what they saw.
[/quote]

eye candy.

i have used vista myself, and it didnt work for me well. it wasnt working for the things i was trying. i had to switch back to XP. now am waiting for windows 7 :lol: