MAXTOR warranty issues , keep away from this brand!

recently i did face warranty issues 2 times , i submitted 500GB maxtor bcz of bad sectors and once i got the replaced HDD in 14 days !! and in which bad sectors again came (after only few weeks) and thn when again i submitted the same for warranty , it is 15th day and no replacement so far , marsons (dealer of maxtor n segate) saying this model is short and thts y it is taking time !!

Is it warranty issue of the brand/company, in this case Seagate or the dealer's issue?

I think Seagate will fulfill warranty for Maxtor HDD.

On the other hand, it is Pakistani dealer who is not giving you warranty. Therefore, it is not the brand that is bad. It is those business-ethic-less Pakistani people who are conducting fraud with you.

Stay away from that Pakistani dealer. :|

P.S. That's the common story of every other Pakistani dealer.

:) i think you forgot to read that why the bad sectors coming so often ! :)

there is nothing bad of the pakistani dealers as far as the bad sectors are concerned :)

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein

^ My bad. But with higher density and multiple platter (up to 5 and more) can create bad sectors. That's why these days HDD manufacturing companies do not entertain if there are few bad sectors in HDD.

asking in continuation which HDD is the best in your view ??

^ In contemporary brands and models, none. There were days when HDD was a reliable medium (not so much reliable) to store data.

However, these days, the ATA (both SATA and PATA) gives a cheap method to store data that is little more "permanent" compare to RAM.

If you want to have "reliable" HDD then try to get good brand SCSI HDD which are usually made to run for 1+ million hours. It means that if you run it 24/7 then it will run for about 100+ years. SCSI HDD usually comes with 5 years warranty.

I usually don't care about few bad sectors in ATA HDD because now a days they are pretty common with almost all brands.

A little better solution, which I recommend and I am personally using it in most of my computers is to use software RAID 5 to store data in ATA HDDs. Even if one HDD totally fails, you still have your data secured and you can rebuilt your RAID by simply replacing bad HDD. That's the method that I use because these days ATA HDDs are very cheap and software RAID of Windows NT-based is easy (especially with modern processors).

RAID in *nix is good and easy. You can have an old computer (I have even tried Pentium 2 and it rocks) and turn it into RAID 5 storage over the TCP/IP network. Windows and *nix can easily access it.

You can store/backup your important data on reliable (not cheap Chinese) DVD disc (always make multiple copies). Store in cool dark place. They are bit more reliable than ATA HDD.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

^ My bad. But with higher density and multiple platter (up to 5 and more) can create bad sectors. That’s why these days HDD manufacturing companies do not entertain if there are few bad sectors in HDD.
[/quote]

Really? I wonder whether this is something you heard from Pakistani vendors. Bad sectors in HDD are a sign the HDD is failing. If anyone tells you otherwise they are trying to fool you. Continuing to use a HDD that shows bad sectors of even a few bytes is asking for trouble. That HDD will fail soon.

EDIT: BTW I doubt any major HDD manufacturer will refuse to acknowledge warranty claims due to bad sectors. They know that the HDD is failing.

no one is actually REFUSING but the matter is tht why the bad sectors so often coming in the new HDD of maxtor 500GB with 32 mb cache, and 2nd thing it is taking so long to replace the HDD in warranty although the dealer is located here in karaci named Marsons !