Maxcom DSL news + queries + problems + solutions

All posts relating to Maxcom's DSL service [in Karachi and Hyderabad] and any problems relating to it will be posted/discussed in this thread. Any Maxcom DSL news, new service plans/packages or other info can be posted and shared through this thread.

Over the time, if something really useful is posted by anyone, I will add it to this first post so that solutions to common problems can be easily found.

================

= Helpful Information =

================

============================================================================

= Question | Post Number | Credit =

Maxcom DSL in Karachi and in Hyderabad.

^ Thanks. Edited.

And just for info as always their website is still not fully updated you still can see 64kpbs and 128kbps packages on sidebar which are no longer available.

Sadness* jph21g.jpg still being overcharged since last month. No upgrade or anything price reduction has been done on many accounts.

Can someone give me an idea of exactly how much time it takes to get it up and running?

I know everyone says around 10 days, but that seems to be the widest possible margin allowed for setup! Any personal experience would be appreciated!

As an update, a rep visited the day before yesterday for the required documents and payment.

Have you tried calling their CS for a time frame.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Have you tried calling their CS for a time frame.
[/quote]

Yeah, they say 8-10 days, which seems to be the standard answer :P

@wzub

My experience is that it takes 5-6 working days to get your DSL provisioned. My understanding is that there is certain level of PTCL involvement in this process. Usually what happens is that your DSL service is provisioned (i.e. in certain cases, you start getting static on your line) and that sets the scene for their 'field engineers' to come across and plug in your modem and line filters. My experience with Maxcom has been that the 'engineer' usually arrives the day-of or the day-after the service has been provisioned.

As far as I know, and I could be completely wrong, Maxcom has to submit a request to PTCL to activate your number on their loop. The process involves some paperwork and bureaucracy, which apparently takes a few days. Once your order has been processed by PTCL, they advise Maxcom of the date that your service will be activated and they in turn schedule your installation appointment.

Hope that helps.

(the artist formerly known as n0madic)

Raza, that certainly does help! So I should probably be patient (!) and wait till Tuesday or Wednesday before I start worrying! Thanks for the info :)

@wzub

No problem, hold tight, although the anticipation may be killing you, the internet and its fruits will come. =)

I think MAXCOM needs to hire or appointment me as a community evangelist or ombudsman. What say you, Ali Maskatiya?

maxcom is getting alot of new customers lately, so it can take a bit more time to get hooked up these days, which is understandable. personally i got 3 friends 2 relatives to switch over to maxcom from go4crap, which wasint hard considering the price reduction. as soon as they saw the 3600@1meg connection, they flipped.

seeya later go4crap.

Hey, 512k DSL has dropped to 1200 for PTCL and LDN as well. What's MAXCOM doing? Where are their CSRs? I recall Mr. Maskatiya being a member here as well!

I think you will see Maxcom respond eventually. They are pretty good with keeping up with the Joneses. It's only a matter of time I guess, if you have any concerns, I suggest waiting two or three days and then calling their sales department. Give them a few days to at least formulate a strategy and respond.

On another note, it is my sincere hope that the result of this price competition is a severe downturn in quality of service. I unfortunately can draw parallels between what is happening in this sector and what happened in the mobile-telecom business (network busy, anyone?)

I obviously care about price, but I care more about quality. I would rather Maxcom charge me 10% more and provide me 100% of the service I've purchased rather than Company B promising me 100% and delivering well short of it.

Hopefully there are more out there who share this opinion.

I obviously care about price, but I care more about quality. I would rather Maxcom charge me 10% more and provide me 100% of the service I’ve purchased rather than Company B promising me 100% and delivering well short of it.

Hopefully there are more out there who share this opinion.

[/quote]

I agree - to an extent. I don’t want to be charged little and then treated like scum, and I don’t want to be charged a lot and treated like a king. I want service at a competitive price… I’m sure pretty much everyone does.

I guess we just have to find the right combination of the two so everyone is happy. I can see your point on ‘diving too fast’ when the ISPs aren’t ready for that kind of a load and who knows maybe we will see a degradation in user service with relation to a rise in speed.

At a certain point they cancel each other out though, don’t they, either way.

This company is owned by Mobilink

This company is owned by Mobilink
[/quote]

As far as I know, it is not. The company you are referring to is LinkDOTNet (can’t get over the ridiculous name).

As far as I know, it is not. The company you are referring to is LinkDOTNet (can’t get over the ridiculous name).

[/quote]

Or did he mean owned as in the l33t ownd or pwned? I’m feeling pwned right now :)

intelligence wzub! lol

I hope maxcom will also upgrade their package again.... i want 1 MB in 2000 :(