Making Sense of the Intel's I series

They are launching some weird stuff with weird names:

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=18944

If you read this could you tell me how does doubling the threads, make the use of half the cores available. How?

Will the i9 have 6cores and 12 threads?

its not confusing at all. hyperthreading means breaking a task into many different parts and then executing it. one core can have 2 threads at a time. ergo 4 cores have 8 threads

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

its not confusing at all. hyperthreading means breaking a task into many different parts and then executing it. one core can have 2 threads at a time. ergo 4 cores have 8 threads
[/quote]

So Hyperthreading works out only and if more threads are available?

dude you probably would have seen the threads option in task manager, you can see that each process runs multiple threads and some run 1 thread. (in windows task manager -> view -> select columns thread count)

now suppose there is a bridge only one vehicle can pass through it at time. A truck passes the bridge, and occupies full bridge capacity, but when a car passes bridge it occupies half bridge capacity, but as only one vehicle can pass at a moment. half of bridge capacity is not used when a car crosses it

Now suppose they allow two vehicles to pass, then if two cars come they will use the full capacity of bridge. and will cross the bridge in half time

another thing is that a van and car want to cross the bridge, but if van goes the car wont fit in, but many cars are magical and they can be cut into pieces, so like 3 out 4 pieces are sent through bridge, and in the next turn the 1 piece left over is sent with another vehicle

same is the case with HT, it allows execution of two threads simultaneously so that processor resources are fully used.

Got it!!!

Thanks man

They are launching some weird stuff with weird names:

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=18944

If you read this could you tell me how does doubling the threads, make the use of half the cores available. How?

Will the i9 have 6cores and 12 threads?

[/quote]

Simple analogy:

- A core is a pipe bringing water to your home/flat/etc.

- A thread is a tap on that pipe.

Threads induce parallelism. If a process is assigned two threads, each thread must share the processor (in a single processor system) for half the time (ignoring other threads/processes). So, e.g. in a 1 second time period, thread 1 will use the processor for 500 milliseconds and thread 2 will also use the processor for 500 milliseconds. Hence, doubling the threads makes use of half the core (resources) possible.

There are many different schemes which determine thread priority and resource sharing mechanisms but we needn’t get into that for explaining this.

Here is more info regarding this branding,

Details on Intel's Core Brand Product Placement Emerge

-Intel may rebadge existing Wolfdale, Yorkfield, and Penryn Mobile chips into Core i3

-Arrandale as Core i3, Clarkdale as Core i5

-Lynnfield is Core i5 and Core i7

-Gulftown to be Named Core i9

Really bizzare branding & confusing as well

http://www.techpowerup.com/97604/Details_on_Intel_s_Core_Brand_Product_Placement_Emerge_Gulftown_to_be_Named_Core_i9.html

Really bizzare branding & confusing as well

[/quote]

I know!!!

They are doing the same thing as Nvidia did with its GPUs namings

It's actually quite simple

i7- Strictly for server and enthusiasts (kind of like the core 2 quad extreme/Xeon)

i5- mainstream processor (kind of like the core 2 quad)

i3- low-end (like core 2 duo)

Core2Duo low end...... how time passes huh

yeah, I was pretty xcited when I bought a core2duo e6420.......... and now am planning for an i7... 2 years later and the i7 will be obsolete at the rate intel is going