Low Frequency AC Almost Cost Me a Fortune!

Well around 4 AM when electricity came back on I noticed immediately that the bulbs in my room was fluctuating in response to low frequency AC. I immedietely unplugged every electronic in my room but wasn't fast enough to safe the routers in the house. The adapters to these routers are dead, I think. These routers were connected to a desi UPS.

My major concern was my telescope rig running on the rooftop. This system runs off a APC UPS and was afraid that something might end up being damaged but fortunately all is OK. Now here's my question:

Do APC UPS not supply power off the mains when they snse that the mains frequency is not around 50 Hz and instead keeps supplying power via the batteries? This is my guess since the routers which got damaged were on a desi UPS. The telescope rig also has a dedicated router (again powered via the APC UPS) so that I can monitor things from downstairs but this router seems A-OK and this is the same brand as the routers which were damaged (TP Link).

So what gives? Does the APC UPS provide adequate protection against such scenarios or do I need something more stronger?

The simple answer is yes..

as long as the APC itself is working ok, everything connected to it is also safe within the limits of the APC, which is 180 V -240V and 49-51 hz in our regions of 220V. between them, it will automatically stabilize all currents to norms..anything above and below , it will shut down mains and go to backup power

there is a similar thread where a member had same problem with a generator which shuts off APC probably because of frequency mismatch.

OP have you captured any new stuff? Where can I see them??

The Thread title should be

"High Quality APC , saved me a fortune!!"

well thank God for APC availability in Pakistan so we dont have to risk our equipment by using shitty local/chinese UPS..

your question is already answered but i would like to congratulate you that you made the right choice by using APC and it saved your fortune...

Thanks everyone! I'm glad I have a APC upstairs.

[quote="executionist, post:3, topic:19956"]

OP have you captured any new stuff? Where can I see them??

[/quote]

Hmm, well I haven't shot anything in a long while but the past week I have been working on a new picture but it has been very hard to get any data due to clouds. What I data I did get seems a bit sub-par. I'll know when the sky clears up. Meanwhile you can have a look at my Flickr here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/saadabbasi

[quote=“PsychedelicBreakfast, post:5, topic:19956”]

. I'll know when the sky clears up. Meanwhile you can have a look at my Flickr here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/saadabbasi

[/quote]

Lovely pictures PB.

What is the aperture of your telescope. Reflector or refractor? I have a 90 mm refractor which I haven't unboxed for about 10 years now. Sigh!!

Aurangzeb

I have a few scopes. My main imaging scope is a Takahashi FSQ-85EDX along with a ATRC8. I'm partial to APO refractors as they require very little tinkering and provide sharper pictures. Here's a picture of my setup:

vZ6UgR1l.jpg

[quote=“PsychedelicBreakfast, post:7, topic:19956”]

I have a few scopes. My main imaging scope is a Takahashi FSQ-85EDX along with a ATRC8. I'm partial to APO refractors as they require very little tinkering and provide sharper pictures. Here's a picture of my setup:

[/quote]

How much does that baby costs?

Okay so i already have a DSLR with quite a range of lenses , what do i need exactly for starting Astro Photography??

It's not 'one' system or product. I'd say there are 5 different systems working here:

1) The telescope mount (The machine in red)

2) The actual telescope itself.

3) Electronic focuser

4) Autoguiding

5) Main imaging camera.

If you want to use your existing lens:

You need:

1) High quality GEM (German Equatorial Mount)

2) Autoguider (This is a small special CCD camera that ensures your GEM is tracking at the right rate.)

3) A small telescope to attach to the autoguider.

4) Patience. Lots of it. My exposures tend to be 10 to 20 hours and last multiple nights. That's 10 to 20 hours per colour channal.

^

WoW..

thats alot of patience....

so do you actually do this professionally? I mean do you sell these images or have any of your images been licensed by someone for use?? or just a hobby?

Just a hobby.

^ this guy used to be cool on previous forums as well.. :)

I used my telscope, a 90mm refractor (http://www.meade.com/product_pages/starter_scopes/az_series/az_90.php) while I was in Karachi. I found that the light pollution was so serious that I was not able to see much. I have however seen Jupiter as well as Saturn with its rings, while in Karachi.

Secondly the main issue was the mount. The telecope has a simple Alt-Az mount which is driven manually. It vibrates and the image shakes wildly during adjustments. Since I can't really afford an expensive mount I am waiting to be able to diy a good polar mount when I have the time. I think things are coming to the point in PK where the no. of hobbyists is reaching a critical mass. This would certainly help to take these advanced technical hobbies such as Ham Radio, Astronomy/Astro-Photography etc. establish roots here.

Aurangzeb

I just finished shooting this yesterday. This is the Elephant Trunk nebula in Hubble Palette. The blue regions that you see are ionized Oxygen and gold is a mixture of ionized Hydrogen and Oxygen. Total exposure time was 15 hours for Oxy and 15 for Hydrogen so a total of 30 hours of time across 7 nights.

^

Wow.. I mean just WOW...