Love shopping online

I love the act of shopping in Karachi but these days shopping is seems like threat to anyone. There was a time when we could move anywhere without fear of mobile snatching, firing , car snatching and other threats people are facing these days commonly in metropolitan city of Pakistan. But we don’t get hopeless because its life and we need to look out for solutions to these problems. Alhamdulillah we are very stable nation and we have various resources to go for alternate ways. Internet is one of the alternate to do anything with complete security. Mashallah Pakistan has been done so much work in technology and we have very well developed software and high tech telecom industry.

As e-commerce market of Pakistan is reaching Skies day by day. But there is dark side of reality is that it has been unnoticed from the eye of layman. There is very few amount of who use internet and from those internet users very few are aware of online shopping facility. This concept is just not accessible in abroad but also there are several online shopping stores working in Pakistan. These shopping networks provide every kind of accessories and electronic items on very market reliable prices on without shipping or delivery charges.

I am quite new with online shopping but I found it’s more reliable then to go for shopping at malls and streets with more threats and insecure. I found that there uncountable advantages of online shopping like

• You don’t need any transportation resources to go anywhere,

• If the retailer doesn’t have a physical presence, it doesn’t have to charge a sales tax. It means you can by anything without paying sales tax.

• Delivery without charges.

In just a few clicks, we can jump from bazaars to boutiques to shopping malls across the continents. The internet has become the world’s biggest marketplace and revolutionized our age-old activity of buying and selling things.

Ok what is this? Pakistan is a stable nation? First time I am hearing that!

Also Pakistan's IT sector sucks. And there are at most a dozen ecommerce sites catering to Pakistanis and they all suck. So a lot of bull in your post.

huh??? is this for real...

Looks like soha wrote an essay for class and decided to print it verbatim in this post. Completely delusional stuff!

Soha are you going to launch a new website or this for fun ?

It explains how optimistic Pakistanis are :D

Let me tell my borther's experience of so called "ON-LINE SHOPPING"

4 months ago, he ordered a BlackBerry Bold 9700 to a website (in Pakistan). They shipped to him and the guy who delivered the set, got cash payment upon delivery. The delivery guy was known to my brother (it was not delivered through any courier, but kinda salesman in our city).

I was with my brother when we got the delivery, we opened the box and looked at the set. Obvious signs of a used set, there was dust in the keyboard, side slots and screen had minor scratches. The box was clearly looking like a local made.

We thought at least to turn it on and see if it is a geniune Blackberry or a chinese counterfiet type thingy..

Guys, Can you imagine...... there was no battery in the box. A blackberry Bold 9700 for which we paid 35,000 and we got a used phone very carelessly packed and it was without Battery.

We immedicately called up that guy, handed over the set to him and got back our money. He told us that many sets he delivers on that company's behalf are returned the same way.

And the ON-LINE SHOPPING website was www dot homeshopping dot com dot pk

Believe me or not, this is 100% True storey

Edit: Corrected spellings

^ don't you report it to police that guy should be in jail after doing this ...

you mentioned above this guy were your brothers friend so maybe he done some kind of pranks with you

In order to activate police, you need to feed them. If you don't feed them and just hand over the accused, they will get the feed from the accused.

In my opinion the culprit was shipping company who used that guy's Services just to collect cash upon delivery. The benifit we got due to that known guy, was to get back our money which he still had to send to the shipper.

With Due Respect to All

It shows, we love to criticize Pakistan and People of Pakistan. Before I write more, please read this:

http://www.dodoskido.com/archives/000743-bad-ebay-experience-share-here.html

I can share so many links where fraud transactions being done on internet, but not by Pakistanis.

It happens all over the world and its a reality that there are very reputable pakistani websites, who are doing transactions on daily basis. Please understand, net is a different kind of market, shop accordingly.

If anyone wants a list of our (ICON's) clients to whom we have shipped till date, can come to us, will let you talk to them each one individually, and NONE of this will have any complaints whats so ever.

We are not the only one, there are many others as well.

I haven't shopped at your site iconsourcing but its good to see you participating on online forums like this one. I know of only one other Pakistani computer vendor that participates in online forums.

My experience of shopping online as been mixed. Some websites were very good e.g. vmart.pk, shophive.com. Others were very bad: symbios.pk. The main thing missing in Pakistani online shopping is "Order Fulfillment". Anyone can just make a flashy website but if there is no proper business setup and customer support behind that website then its a mess.

Order Fulfillment (definition): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_fulfillment

I think one of the major hurdles for online shopping to become more prevalent in Pakistan is methods of payment. Most websites are currently working on the 'deposit money in our bank account' model, which is really not very convenient.

Accepting credit/debit cards would go a long way but in Pakistan a very small percentage of people have access to plastic money. (Even opening a bank account is a hassle nowadays).

And even those who do have a credit/debit card, usually avoid using their cards at shops and instead prefer to withdraw cash from an ATM with those cards instead.

Comparing this with western countries where people have been using plastic money since the 70's...but its never caught in Pakistan for some reason...

Another reason that companies hesitate to accept credit cards is that the sale comes on record and they have to pay tax. So you will often see shop keepers saying "Sir credit card machine is faulty", "Sir your transaction is declined by your bank" etc.. and if someone is willing to accept cards, he will add his tax (2.75%) to your bill. What a pity!!

Shopping only saves 30% of your budget so keep shopping and happy online shopping

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Another reason that companies hesitate to accept credit cards is that the sale comes on record and they have to pay tax. So you will often see shop keepers saying “Sir credit card machine is faulty”, “Sir your transaction is declined by your bank” etc… and if someone is willing to accept cards, he will add his tax (2.75%) to your bill. What a pity!!
[/quote]

Why do we see just EVERY thing with black glasses. :).

Not a single shopkeeper I know, who would let the customer go just because he does not want to use credit card machine.

“Transaction is declined” status can be seen on the machine. Its the card holders, not the shopkeeper. Who can do anything about it.

Additional amount you pay is actually deducted by the bank, does not go into shopkeepers pocket. Yes, 2.75 is higher if someone charging it would be somewhere between 1.5 to 2.5% max.

Just for information, the shopkeeper has to go a long procedure to get the merchant machine, it also some time includes all sort of verifications etc. So, why shopkeeper would go all these hassles if they dont want to use it. :)

So, think positive. May be machine “Such Much” Kharab Ho. :)

I think one of the major hurdles for online shopping to become more prevalent in Pakistan is methods of payment. Most websites are currently working on the ‘deposit money in our bank account’ model, which is really not very convenient.

Accepting credit/debit cards would go a long way but in Pakistan a very small percentage of people have access to plastic money. (Even opening a bank account is a hassle nowadays).

And even those who do have a credit/debit card, usually avoid using their cards at shops and instead prefer to withdraw cash from an ATM with those cards instead.

Comparing this with western countries where people have been using plastic money since the 70’s…but its never caught in Pakistan for some reason…

[/quote]

Agreed.

Just to add: Another reason is: The procedure and the amount involved in getting the merchant facility to accept cards on a website is painful, almost discouraging anyone who wants to have the facility even after all above hurdles.

Why do we see just EVERY thing with black glasses. :).
[/quote]

It is not black glasses, it is the (rich) experience I am sharing…

Not a single shopkeeper I know, who would let the customer go just because he does not want to use credit card machine.
[/quote]

If the shopkeeper pays annual tax of Rs.5,000 he is not gonna make transactions of millions through the bank. Only the honest merchants paying full taxes usually always accept cards happily.

“Transaction is declined” status can be seen on the machine. Its the card holders, not the shopkeeper. Who can do anything about it.
[/quote]

Such tactics are usually lame execuses by the merchants when they don’t want to say you a big NO.

Additional amount you pay is actually deducted by the bank, does not go into shopkeepers pocket. Yes, 2.75 is higher if someone charging it would be somewhere between 1.5 to 2.5% max.
[/quote]

This amount is basically the transaction charges the bank has to collect from merchant, by virtue of their mutual contract. Why on earth the client should pay the merchant’s tax ???

So, think positive. May be machine “Such Much” Kharab Ho. :)
[/quote]

I am always positive, thats why still living in my own country. But you can not rely upon credit card. Imagine you invited someone on dinner, can you take the risk of going with zero cash in your pocket and relying solely on your credit card ???

First of all. Please smile :), as this is just a discussion and nothing personal. I am not criticizing you in particular but try to explain the actuality.

Your post gave the impression that merchants normally are unwilling to use credit card machine. Which cannot be true, because they get the machine, after a long procedure, just to use it. If they dont wana use it, why they will have it, its not a must.

Re: Transaction declined: This status appear on the merchant card machine, user can verify it by reading, and merchant just cant do anything but to say NO. I dont see any reason why a merchant would give a lame excuse.

Re: Additional Amount: First of all, this is not the TAX, but bank charges. Merchant gets nothing if he receives a payment thru credit card, while on the other hand card holders gets at least 30 days of credit from bank, security of not carrying cash, points of spending thru credit cards and rewards as well. So the client should pay the charges as well. Moreover, if the seller is selling on tight margins, very good example is new mobile phones, they get a very very narrow margin on their sales, if that narrow margin they give to bank for credit card charges, they will soon be closing their shops :)

Re: Why client pay the tax: Client does, any hotel, any branded shop, all your utility bills, on your mobile cards, and many others like this tax is added in the bill and client pays.

Yes, there are many stores, who are not charging any sort of charges on credit card charges, like petrol pumps, thats because bank offer them very minimal or 0 charges, and then they adjust it within their profit margins.

^ :)

Put cash + credit card on the payment counter and 99.99999999% merchants will pick up cash. Is there any disagreement on this point ? We as a nation, like to hide our sales/incomes and thus prefer cash over documented sales.

When I will shop from you, I will use credit card and you will not charge me extra 1.5-2.75% amount :P