Looks like my Hard Drive is failing

My Home Computer has started acting strange. Its very slow to startup and freezes when opening programs and windows. Same thing happens in the Safe Mode, where it works a little bit better but still hangs a lot. Also the Auto Protect function of Microsoft Security Essentials has disabled automatically and is not re enabling after many tries. This computer has an 8 years old Seagate IDE Hard Drive. I am guessing that the Hard Drive is about to fail. Any ideas?

From ur description, it looks like there can be various causes.

Scan HDD for its life span via good HDD check utility

Have you installed an anti-virus programme?

^ Yeah. I have installed Micrsoft security essentials but its Auto Protect has been disabled automatically, dont know why. Regarding scanning the HDD, it does not let me even open up Internet Explorer and hangs badly, how can i scan it.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Regarding scanning the HDD, it does not let me even open up Internet Explorer and hangs badly, how can i scan it.
[/quote]

May be by installing in another PC (clean, virsu free) as a slave drive, you can run certain tests on it.

Micrsoft security essentials is a virus itself uninstall it disconnect your internet and run other anti virus program to make sure you're not effected from any virus....or may be your windows has been crashed

As you described above its not a hardware failure....if it was then it won't let you enter into boot screen

^ Yeah. I have installed Micrsoft security essentials but its Auto Protect has been disabled automatically, dont know why. Regarding scanning the HDD, it does not let me even open up Internet Explorer and hangs badly, how can i scan it.
[/quote]

Symptoms of virus infection…

Try installing a fresh copy of windows if the system is too fcuked up to install a good anti virus cause I have never used/heard of such thing called MS security essentials. so don’t know what they are actually for.

Micrsoft security essentials is a virus itself uninstall it disconnect your internet and run other anti virus program to make sure you’re not effected from any virus…or may be your windows has been crashed

As you described above its not a hardware failure…if it was then it won’t let you enter into boot screen

[/quote]

Thats why I am saying that my hard drive is failing and not “failed”. Thats why i can still boot into Windows. But how is MSE a virus? How can you say with such surety?

Okay. Thanks for your suggestions Faisal and Armada. I tried everything but it just wouldn't work. So reinstalled Windows again. Also I am installing Avast now. :D Seems to be working fine at the moment and I have checked my drive with HD Tune. Its giving warning for three things:

httune.png

Any ideas? Thanks.

How old is the HDD?

^ read first post

Change HDD... and possibly a new mobo too...

the SMART data that is shown is probably the cause of your problems, the drive is failing, but it's hard to say when those problems started to happen since the drive is so old. if they have only recently happened then it means the drive is failing quick, if it's happened one or 2 sectors over all those years then it's less concerning and might last a little longer.

nearly all drives have a reserved area which is not used with sectors on it for backup. you have bad sectors on the hard drive and the reallocated sector count means that there 203 sectors that have been reallocated to this sector, when a sector is reallocated it's usually because of a failing hard drive.

the allocated sectors are at the end of the drive, but will not show up on any scan or defrag, so this can slow down the computer when it's running because it has to find these reallocated sectors in normal usage. if there are bad sectors ont he drive, it will take time for them to be recovered and put on the new sector of the hard drive.

run a scan disk (computer folder, right click on the drive and select properties, tools, chkdsk or error check) select both box's and scan, if your asked to schedule a scan, do it and restart, it will take a long time but might fix any problems you have.

conclusion, if you can live with it, leave it, it might last a few more months, but I'd get a new hard drive whilst you can still transfer your files off the drive.

Back up your data on a new drive, this one looks like it could fail any time

Again. I had replied to Deffury here. Where is my post? Whats going on here? :(

Anyway, thanks a lot guys for your suggestions. I will buy a hard drive soon. Thanks Rogue, thats the kind of analysis i was looking for. I am really into buying a SSD. But prices are very high at the moment. :(

tip : if you have another port for IDE (another connector) whcih is not in use on the motherboard , try to plug that onein the HDD and then check . Hopefully your problem will b solved.

Have you messed with either of these voltages in BIOS ? ,

IOH VCore ,IOH/ICH I/O Voltage, ICH VCore

Are all your voltages in spec for your PSU, Check your cables, a loose or intermident cable looks like a hard drive fail. and cables are much cheaper, and easier to change.

@ nadeem and denny

Thanks for your input i'll check those out as well. But i have not changed any of the settings that you mentioned. Its a home PC and i don't mess around with it. :)