Looking for Streaming Media Device

Hi Everyone,

i am looking for a streaming media device which can be used for dual purposes mentioned below

1 - It can stream media from my smartphone to my LED TV (HDMI Port) over OTA , i know Chrome-cast has this feature but it cant fulfill my 2nd requirement.

2 - i can play movies, songs etc from my Portable hard disk by plugin in it to that Media device. (i already have Asus Oplay mini but i cant perform first task)

i did some research on internet but not able to decide between below listed devices and not quite sure if they will fulfill both requirements mentioned above seamless.

Roku3
Nexus Media Player

Amazon

Asus Media Player pro.

Please help.

One way of getting this working with the Chromecast is to open the file on your desktop program, and then relay it from there via a Chromecast extension.

[quote=“shaheerk, post:2, topic:21920”]

One way of getting this working with the Chromecast is to open the file on your desktop program, and then relay it from there via a Chromecast extension.

[/quote]

first you can play media only on google chrome browser with limited supported formats , secondly support is upto 720p only and 3rdly poor performance as you should have better Wifi Router to give full throughput

[quote=“DJNOMI, post:3, topic:21920”]

first you can play media only on google chrome browser with limited supported formats , secondly support is upto 720p only and 3rdly poor performance as you should have better Wifi Router to give full throughput

[/quote]

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/videostream-for-google-ch/cnciopoikihiagdjbjpnocolokfelagl?hl=ensupports 1080p videostreaming - it works on laptops (not Chromebooks) but - as you said - needs Chrome. For MKV videos, I've seen the extension transcode files on the fly and stream them. They even have a simple remote (pause, play, seek) for Android phones (can't comment on iPhones, sorry). I have a 802.11bgn (it says wireless N lite, but the AP only connects to a maximum of 65mbps on my laptop) and it streams perfectly fine.

I think there's no way of trying to get a Chromecast stream set up in, say, Firefox (or at least I haven't found a way). That said, I'm not sure Google would support it (since they would probably want you to use their services etc.). For a low price, I personally think it's a decent compromise.

But if you're not willing to settle for the Chromecast (I initially thought it would have a limited scope, but the more I use it, the more I realize how useful it is, since I can also mirror tabs and use a VPN connection and play what I want), you can try searching on the Roku stick - since they say that it's very similar (but lacks the support the Chromecast has garnered). Screen mirroring is limited to 720p because of hardware requirements - and if you have a relatively old PC (say, over 7 years old or so), you'd probably be better off streaming in 480p (but you'll have to test it to know). Newer laptops have zero issues mirroring.

And when you mirror the screen, you can use other tabs.

I would vouch for the Chromecast since I use it.

got your point but coming back to topic if we have such media player which has both functions than why not.. roku 3 is recommended?

I don't know if Roku has a hard disk in their devices - but I think you may want to take a look at Apple's AirPlay (?) or Google's Nexus Player (I think that's what it's called). I also don't think either of them are available in Pakistan.

Roku, chromecast and airplay are all available.

roku comes highly recommended in the internet for streaming anything

have you looked at the WD live series which use NAS or any attached storage and use wifi for streaming..?

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:7, topic:21920”]

Roku, chromecast and airplay are all available.

roku comes highly recommended in the internet for streaming anything

have you looked at the WD live series which use NAS or any attached storage and use wifi for streaming..?

[/quote]

i asked for both purposes to be fulfilled buddy :) as per Google research Roku3 is good but i was looking for feedback if any body using such devices and happy with it.

there might be hardly anyone here using it.. we dont have steady high speed broadband anywhere, let alone electricity to even turn on broadband.

your best bet is the millions of utube videos, with detailed reviews and guides.. roku is popular item.

Get fire tv. It is by far the best.