Long awaited 3G auction gets pathetic response

A dismal response in this week's auction for next-generation cellphone spectrum licenses means cash-strapped Pakistan will struggle to fund its budget this year, finance and IT ministry officials and telecom industry executives told Reuters.

"The financeicon1.png minister (Ishaq Dar) is very angry, so much so that he wants to call off the auction if we are so embarrassingly off target," said an official on his team, who declined to be identified as he is not authorized to speak officially on the matter.

Pakistan is the only major country in the region that still does not offer 3G services. Its neighbor, war-ravaged Afghanistan, switched to 3G services in 2012.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/04/15/us-pakistan-telecomunications-licences-idUKBREA3E1MV20140415

of the extpected 2 arab rs... the auction only fetched 85 Carore.. :P

I still do not use internet on my phone, i only use it while at home on DSL. The cost is too much to have internet and also use as phone. Also any time PTCL may start its monopoly on 3G, like what is happening to Wateen and Worldcall.

This 3G is definitely not going to be affordable by majority of people, it will be expensive in the beginning and when there will be many users and cost gets low then the service will get worst :D

So don't expect much from it.

Warid did not participate in the bidding because its almost bankrupt, and awaiting a merger / buyout.
There were four lots available for the bidding.
Lot A:
- One 3G spectrum of 10 MHz from 2100Mhz
- One 4G spectrum of 10 MHz from 1800Mhz
Lot B:
- One 3G spectrum of 10 MHz from 2100Mhz
- One 4G spectrum of 10 MHz from 1800Mhz
Lot C
- One 3G spectrum of 5MHz from 2100Mhz Band
Lot D
- One 3G spectrum of 5MHz from 2100Mhz Band
. Mobilink and Zong have bid for Lot A and B.
. Telenor and Ufone have bid for Lot C and D.
The amount $850 million mentioned in the article is BS, the bidding was in lots.
Price for lot A and B = $295 mil (3G) + $210 mil (4G) = $505 mil / lot
Price for lot C and D = $147.5 mil = $147.5 mil / lot
Thats at-least $1.3 billion for the auction.

Well, definitely there was contradiction of opinions about the auction by Reuters and PTA. Don't know who is right... Here is what Tribune.pk pesents the opinion of PTA..

http://tribune.com.pk/story/695995/overwhelming-response-from-existing-telcos-for-all-offered-spectrum-licences-pta-chief/

Well it's good to know that at least Mobilink and Zong are interested in 4G. Let's see who actually ends up buying what in the end.

The way the government favored monopoly of state-owned telecom providers, and caused many private companies to roll-up their investments, it is no wonder that they got such a response. Mobilink went really well in this disastrous situation and maintained (even rose higher) best mobile services in Pakistan. Zong is probably confident due to some China connection. The rest have obviously become too picky now.

1 4G added on ptcl demand why they did not bid for that?

Sent from my HUAWEI G700-U10 using Tapatalk