Locked Phones from abroad, how much do they really cost?

Companies in america subsidize the phones and sell them alot cheaper and they recover that amount later through the contract. Here's a list of phones that I think are good and their prices next to it.

G1 - $180 locked from T-Mobile, $400 unlocked

Omnia - $100 locked from Verizon, $500 unlocked i think

Apple iPhone 8GB - $200, $100 for refurbished(the ones returned within 30 days) from at&t, $600 unlocked

Blackberry Storm - $100 from Verizon, $600 unlocked

But then they have a contract in which you have to pay alot monthly. Is there some way to get any of these phones by just paying the subsidized amount instead of paying monthly bills for 2 years?I'd like to know from people who have gotten phones from abroad and unlocked them.

i'd love to know that too!

but i think that when u subscribe to the connection on which to pay bills they ask for ur personal info and ur ID card etc. so if u dont live in america then u cant buy the phone with a contract and if a relative buys it for u and sends it then the cell company can track them down and ask for the monthly bill frm them!

Yeah thats what I think so too, but there might be a way around it, coz alot of ppl get their phones this way.

The cellular companies give subsidized phones because they are signing you up on a contract. The only way would be if you know someone already on a contract and he/she upgrades their phone and gives it to you while they keep using their existing phone. Probably no one would want to do that, but thats one way.

Otherwise if you cancel the contract, they charge you a good lot of money. You could however compare the price of an unlocked phone to a locked phone + unlocking costs + contract cancellation charges and see if its a bit cheaper. Even then its not possible for you to get it at the subsidized cost.

Mobile phone insurance fraud.. Their IMEI numbers are black listed in their home countries.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Companies in america subsidize the phones and sell them alot cheaper and they recover that amount later through the contract. Here’s a list of phones that I think are good and their prices next to it.

G1 - $180 locked from T-Mobile, $400 unlocked

Omnia - $100 locked from Verizon, $500 unlocked i think

Apple iPhone 8GB - $200, $100 for refurbished(the ones returned within 30 days) from at&t, $600 unlocked

Blackberry Storm - $100 from Verizon, $600 unlocked

But then they have a contract in which you have to pay alot monthly. Is there some way to get any of these phones by just paying the subsidized amount instead of paying monthly bills for 2 years?I’d like to know from people who have gotten phones from abroad and unlocked them.

[/quote]

Don’t envy these americans. IF you watch american TV shows you’ll find that a lot of them are still using ancient phone models. Their cell phones still have antennas sticking out of them!

Its true (rokra) Last year I was online searching for a phone contract for my brother in the US, and it turned out that the vast variety of phones in Pakiland was unavailable in the US. I checked various forums and people say that Europe and ASia get their mobiles before the US and that most mobiles aren't available in the US.