Locally made speakers for home theater

Hello WP!

The first thing first, i.e. I dont want to spend too much money on speakers as my home theater room is very small (kinda den/dorm). Also I already have a Pioneer 6.1 DTS AV receiver to drive the small 5.0 speaker setup but I want bigger/better speakers, not for the loundness or volume but a little bit better and fuller sound quality.

So the other day I was visting Hall road Lahore for something and I saw a lane full of shops selling different kind of speakers. These included original used Onkyo/pioneer/yamaha speakers as well as some really good looking and good sounding locally made speakers. I tested some over there and asked for the price (which was about 5-6 thousand a pair for tower speakers) but then I had to leave quickly.

So my question, is there anyone who has an experience with these locally made speakers. I am more interested to know the drivers quality/durability of these things as well as how good a crossover is used in these.

Also, if I want to go for a DIY route, is there anybody in Lahore who can help me build cabinet as well as choose drivers and crossover?

ANy or all help will be highly appreciated.

What amplifier If i may ask , What type of budget do you have.. I believe what you're asking is to make-shift hall-road speakers to your existing amplifier so it gives out a perfect/optimal surround sound just like a $1000 home theatre, Sorry but it doesnt work that way, I suggest you do a little research on your own so you are ready to take suggestions!

P.S: A problem well stated is a problem half solved!

^ last line.. well said...

i have been setting up home theatres and car systems from hallroad and imports for almost 15 years by now.. my current setup is a mixture of pairs of local body assembled and Studio yamaha speakers for mains..2 small centers for dialogue clarity and mids.... and a 15 inch cervin wega stroker in a 16x16x32 box with a 2400w amp to blow down my roof.....

again, read last line above of previous post.. very sound advice..

First of all thanks for the replies guys.... really appreciate it. :)

[quote="djayz, post:2, topic:20184"]

What amplifier If i may ask , What type of budget do you have.. I believe what you're asking is to make-shift hall-road speakers to your existing amplifier so it gives out a perfect/optimal surround sound just like a $1000 home theatre, Sorry but it doesnt work that way, I suggest you do a little research on your own so you are ready to take suggestions!

P.S: A problem well stated is a problem half solved!

[/quote]

Let start with some information about my whole set up first so that you have an idea of what needs to be added or changed. Nothing facny here, just basic.

Its basically an HTPC, Core 2 duo with Nvidia 8800 gt connected to a 24" dell lcd via DVI. Since my rool is very small, I am happy about the screen size I have but a 32inch led is now planned and included in the next upgrade.

As for the sound, the HTPC is connected to following Pioneer VSX-516-K 6.1 AV receiver via creative X-fi optical toslink out.

vsx-516-K.jpg

The HTPC is setup to output all multichannel streams unprocessed to the receiver via SPDIF pass through using FFDshow. So basically receiver decodes the stream in multichannel and outputs to speakers. The recevier is further connected to following Pioneer front speakers borrowed from an old dvd component system.

speakers.jpg

And then panasonic side surround speakers and a panasonic center channel speaker. There's no subwoofer, therefore, the recevier is setup to route all low frequencies to front speakers. Also all of my media is 1080p or 720 MKVs.

Since I am upgrading the screen, I want to upgrade the speakers as well. Want to start with fronts and center and end with a subwoofer if budget allows. Now the problem is obviously money as branded speakers are really expensive. I do not want to go for HTIB setup either. So the reason I asked about the locally made speakers is because 1) they are really cheap 2) and they sounded good, not best but good when I listened to them on Hall road but I am totally unsure about the sound quality and their matching with my recevier if I bring them home and try to play them in my room. I am also unsure about the build quality.

For now my budget could go so far as 20K maybe after I buy an led so I thought if someone has a good experience with these locally made speakers I could spend money on these for now and could upgrade later, maybe in a year or so for branded ones.

[quote="farhan_ds, post:3, topic:20184"]

^ last line.. well said...

i have been setting up home theatres and car systems from hallroad and imports for almost 15 years by now.. my current setup is a mixture of pairs of local body assembled and Studio yamaha speakers for mains..2 small centers for dialogue clarity and mids.... and a 15 inch cervin wega stroker in a 16x16x32 box with a 2400w amp to blow down my roof.....

again, read last line above of previous post.. very sound advice..

[/quote]

Well if you have been using locally made speakers (I think the cabinet only and other parts are all imported) you can let me know your experience with those. Also what did you do with the cross over of these local body speakers and how much was the cost to get them made.

Son of a Bit*@#,,,,

wrote 3 paragrapghs and the page crashed without saving my post..mMudder F%$*%#

Well, Summarising previous post

1 - Sound quality depends on hardware such as Media, Generator, Amp, Speakers.... your Sound Card is great, all PC routed audio is digital and good in 720p and 1080p.. your amp is average powered at 70-80W per channel if using in stereo.. but it is still a very decent amp for small rooms and home theaters.... your hifi speakers are absolutely not hifi.. those are just party speakers..which suck at output from pioneer..

2 - Sound depends on room size and speaker position.. i change the position of my stroker just more than 5 inch from the corner and the extreme lows of " get low" and "late night tip" fall flat... similarly, "the motto has high frequency bass, which stops boom if woofer is rotated more than 10 degrees.. your speaker position in room matters a lot

3 - i have had almost 15 speakers set made and bought.. currently have, 2 JVC 10inch in local but quality boxes, 2 yamaha original Studio speakers.. 4 kenwood speakers. 4 JVC mid ranges, 1 15 inch Cervin Wega Stroker at 2400W amp., and a 15 inch orion woofer... all are organized with their specific amps to produce the exact sound i want.. there is still some more upgrade needed for highs, but will do next year when i will have time..

4 - people in hall road sell for high price and poor quality local box.. the imported speakers may be repaired.. my major gripe with the pioneer and denon and marantz speakers which hall road is full of, is the very thing large speaker border.. granted it is good for trebles and louder bass, but not good for lows, where it distorts and just doesnt seem durable.. quality speakers are very hard to find, and those which are, are above the 15k price range all the way upto 50k per pair..

5 - I read a quote somewhere, " dont let ferrari be your first car".. some where in buying mehran thread.. .. that was spot on.. you should try building your own, or buying some used ones.. i have a pair of JVC 10 inch speakers for which i want to change their mids, which are local, and they suck... the woofer is great though and loud and very large at 10 inch... and when i will change the mids, the speakers will rock a huge room..as they used to do... but i dont have time to set them up or replace them..so a friend of mine is interested in buying and fitting them himself.. this is what you should do at first too.. buy from some enthusiast.. it will save you a lot of money...and from your own choosing and designing, you will learn a lot about speakers and quality of sound... after all, sound quality is what the whole fast and furious series cars were for.. so is hall road, and the Entire Dolby, DTS, truHD, THX, Imax, Home theaters, PC speakers etc,. ie. the whole world is after. :)

thanks for the reply.... and yeah sh** happens.... :)

First off the recevier is a european version and is rated at 130W per channel. Atleast this is what it says on its box or the sticker up front. When I try to search more information about this online I am directed to mostly US links where same model is a 5.1 channel version with either 90W or 100W per channel configuration. Confusing, but I never actually bothered about it a lot since, as you have said, it is essentially fulfilling my needs in my small room.

As for the speakers, I totally agree with you that the ones I am using are so so, not hi-fi at all. That is the reason I wanted something else but looks like you are against the local speakers and maybe others will also agree with your point of view. So this brings this discussion to a different dimension.

What if I want to test and buy used speakers, what is the best place in Lahore to go about and do this? OR if I want to buy new ones (only fronts) what are my options under 30K and where to buy from?

go cheap... buy from some one who is selling his speakers, and set them up yourself... i have a couple friends who are interested in selling their speakers so they can import even bigger and better ones..

also, there is a difference between, DESI speakers and local body assembled speakers.. good speakers can also be found in local body, i am using myself..they are great too... Desi speakers are those which are made in PK or china lowest quality and you can see them in masjid or on paan shops and in fun fairs..

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:5, topic:20184”]

3 - i have had almost 15 speakers set made and bought.. currently have, 2 JVC 10inch in local but quality boxes, 2 yamaha original Studio speakers.. 4 kenwood speakers. 4 JVC mid ranges, 1 15 inch Cervin Wega Stroker at 2400W amp., and a 15 inch orion woofer... all are organized with their specific amps to produce the exact sound i want.. there is still some more upgrade needed for highs, but will do next year when i will have time..

5 - I read a quote somewhere, " dont let ferrari be your first car" :)

[/quote]

3. I can only imagine the amount of sound-waves being generated for just two human ears.. When do i get to attend the concert!

5. Why would you EVER not want La Ferrari to be your first car, Hell it would be the first and the last for me tbh! But then again i never got this one either , "It is better to cry in a BMW than on a bicycle" kinda threadjacking here but i guess since the OP has already got the best advice WP has to offer its totally relevant! :)

^ When You dont know how to drive, then your first ride in either a ferrari or cycle will both crash..

Luckily you can bandage your self from a serious cycle crash and get your cycle repaired with ease along with a learning experience... but even a mild crash in ferrari will at minimum bust your physical chops with a huge hospital bill and bed rest along with your car which will cost you thousands of dollars while you only curse yourself why you didnt learn to drive well on mehran and who will be paying the bill...

Has any one tried floorstanding speakers of audionic,xpod or beetel? I need recommendation

Save yourself the trouble and get the cheap(ish) home theatres either a 4000W pioneer or a samsung hi-fi for less than 20k you will be set for the next few years.. Floorstanding speakers are a joke that remains untold, You go to hall-road and see for yourself..

My suggestion, contact farhan_ds if you want sound advice on those, but I wouldnt recommend going out for shopping those audionics and cheap/knockoff guitar amp style speakers..

^ @ last guitar line.. ROFL,, :P true that..:)

hi, this is my first day and post here. actully i have made my own home theater speeakers locally but consulting from DIY Speaker project. i can help you but it is very difficlult for me to type. i dont know here i can post my # or not. but i recently bought Klipsch RF 3 tower speakers. when i compare klipsch to my own built speakers the only difference is that i have to increase some volume to catch the klipsch quality and this is cause of my speakers are more in ohms then klipsch but the price difference to tooooooooooooo much then the sound quality difference.

so i suggest you to search hall road or contact to me i feel happy to share my experience to built speakers to you. these are my built front speaker one center and two srround. my cell # is 03222911222 but if the administrator allow to share contact number then my be i can help you. i m 100 % satisfied of my speakers.