Linux the best operating system in the world

here is the proof for the people who think that vista is the pretiest operaitn system and has the pretiest eye candy

http://linuxowns.wordpress.com/screenshots/

lol just because Linux has good graphics does not mean it's the best.Also Linux sucks for average computer user.It might be good for you and me because we are geeky but for those who just want to use computer for office work etc then linux sucks for them and it's true.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

lol just because Linux has good graphics does not mean it’s the best.Also Linux sucks for average computer user.It might be good for you and me because we are geeky but for those who just want to use computer for office work etc then linux sucks for them and it’s true.
[/quote]

for office work there are great alternatives like open office which work almost exactly like MS ofice

and the new Beta of OPen Office also works to make compatability better

But you still cant compare Linux Desktop with Windows or OSX Deskop edition :).

But you still cant compare Linux Desktop with Windows or OSX Deskop edition :).
[/quote]

why not is it not easy to use if u see desktop evironments like fluxbox they are much more easier to use than either gnome or kde

but the thing they are not as popular so most ppl see only kde or gnome and think that the linux desktop is difficult

when they have not even used desktop environments like fluxbox

I personally have had a really good experience with Linux and it really does own Windows when it comes to eye candy. However, the issue of software availability/compatibility remains, though there has been a lot of improvement in that area recently, and it continues at a very fast pace so I'm extremely optimistic.

I personally have had a really good experience with Linux and it really does own Windows when it comes to eye candy. However, the issue of software availability/compatibility remains, though there has been a lot of improvement in that area recently, and it continues at a very fast pace so I’m extremely optimistic.
[/quote]

maybe in a few years linux will finaly over take windows with the way microsoft os goin now i wont be surprised if it happens sooner

i tired ubuntu but shifted back to windows coz everything i wanted to do in ubuntu (advanced operations) required me to use some commands in the terminal which i didn't knew

i tired ubuntu but shifted back to windows coz everything i wanted to do in ubuntu (advanced operations) required me to use some commands in the terminal which i didn’t knew
[/quote]

have u tried open suse or PC linux os they are much easier and there is little to no use of commands

have u tried open suse or PC linux os they are much easier and there is little to no use of commands

[/quote]

no don’t want to happy with windows :)

gonna ubuntu 8.04

i tired ubuntu but shifted back to windows coz everything i wanted to do in ubuntu (advanced operations) required me to use some commands in the terminal which i didn’t knew
[/quote]

Mr Saad Ibrahim is a prime example of one of the many people whose brains have been dumbed down by Microsoft to the extent where they refuse to use them any more! :P People just don’t want to learn something new, with their excuse being why learn Linux when Windows does what they want to do. And to an extent thats a legitimate excuse. Linux has a lot of advantages over Windows, unfortunately people just don’t seem to want all that power!

Linux gives you the ability to customize your OS in just about any way you want, but people are so used to the rigidity of Windows they don’t give it another thought. For the time being the biggest advantages of Linux are of it being free and potentially having more eye candy than the competition. So lets see how it goes!

yea...

Linux users = Smart geniuses

Windows users = Dumb Hicks

pffffffft, as if... :P

The only thing keeping me from ditching windows completely is games. There are alternatives for all other software but linux gaming has a long way to go. Unfortunately, there are very few game makers offering native linux builds.

I will switch to linux when

1. evolution starts supporting Exchange 2007

2. Ubuntu connects to my XP box on ad hoc wifi

Mr Saad Ibrahim is a prime example of one of the many people whose brains have been dumbed down by Microsoft to the extent where they refuse to use them any more! :P People just don’t want to learn something new, with their excuse being why learn Linux when Windows does what they want to do. And to an extent thats a legitimate excuse. Linux has a lot of advantages over Windows, unfortunately people just don’t seem to want all that power!

Linux gives you the ability to customize your OS in just about any way you want, but people are so used to the rigidity of Windows they don’t give it another thought. For the time being the biggest advantages of Linux are of it being free and potentially having more eye candy than the competition. So lets see how it goes!

[/quote]

i know about the advantages

i am not trying otherwise i would been a master of linux the only problem is that it would take time that’s it

in the end its my decision and you can keep your opinion to yourself :)

why not is it not easy to use if u see desktop evironments like fluxbox they are much more easier to use than either gnome or kde

but the thing they are not as popular so most ppl see only kde or gnome and think that the linux desktop is difficult

when they have not even used desktop environments like fluxbox

[/quote]

And an average person is supposed to know what GNOME and KDE means? I know they are desktop programs (Okay not programs…) used by linux but the fact that you had to state their names would throw any normal person off.

Then theres terminal commands and compatibility… my monitor… MONITOR!!! doesnt work with ubunto unless i load it through a VM which sorta defeats the purpose of having it.

@SaadIbrahim: Yes I realize it takes time and effort to learn something new. But Linux has advantages over Windows which would justify putting in that time and effort. Anyways, I was commenting on the reasons for OS switch inertia, I wasn't judging anyone and just kidding about your dumbed down brain! :)

@Scrinner: You just supported my argument above. People just don't want to learn anything new. Sure an average person may not know what Gnome or KDE means, but then again people aren't born knowing what Windows Explorer or the 'Start' button means either. They had to learn it at some point or the other. So if you're saying that the average person is (or should be) scared of new terminology and software, then that effectively makes them slaves to Microsoft for the rest of their computing lives!

In a nutshell, Linux is really good, and it has some real advantages over Windows. It also has its drawbacks which will not allow it (at least currently) to be a complete Windows replacement. However, people should still adopt a more open attitude towards learning, and anyone who has used Linux for some time will tell you you'll really start to appreciate it once you get over the initial learning curve. So if you have an old computer left for dead lying around, give Ubuntu a whirl and try not to be afraid of the terminal!

What advantages would I get for my troubles?

To like something, you don't have to hate anything.

Just to start, I'll repeat myself, I like BSD more than GNU/Linux. Moreover, I am waiting for GNU/Hurd, the original OS intended and GNU/Linux is just a quickly assembled ad-hoc OS.

As majority of human beings, including me, are brain washed by Microsoft and Apple to buy and like Windows and OSX. I would say in defense that majority of people who like GNU/Linux are prudent and have very large ego. They can't take any kind of criticism and shut their ears when they hear any weakness in GNU/Linux, in fact they attack, flame and banish anyone who try to point out flaws in basic infrastructure of GNU/Linux. Just because something is in Windows or OSX, doesn't mean that that feature is wrong.

Most of new users of GNU/Linux are mostly "geek". Most of new users mostly hate Microsoft or Apple because deep inside they don't like capitalism or consumer-driven-life. Most of new users (non-geeky) are blinded by glittering gem graphics of GNU/Linux. Whereas under the hood, it's a mess and old technologies of 80s, that is still lurking inside. Most of old programming is still hanging on weak threads and spaghetti style programming (Windows and OSX are no exception).

In XP, I am still able to run programs that I wrote in Windows 98. But there are so many flavors of Linux Kernels that sometime it's a nightmare to write a program that work on all Linux Kernels.

Modern OS are complicated softwares. Windows has Blue-Screen-of-Death and GNU/Linux has Kernel Panics. It's the frustrated ordinary user who handle these severe errors.

By the way, computing power has increase multi-fold in last 10 years. The advantages in speed for monolith kernel of Linux is almost negligible. That's why OSX out perform in stability by utilizing Darwin Core (that is hybrid kernel that mainly consist of Mach 3 microkernel).

I believe, soon enough (after the success of OS X and in future with microkernel with GNU/Hurd), a slow death will come to monolith kernel Linux. :) Just my thoughts.

Fe-Aman Allah.

It's not about learning anything new. Linux us just unfit on the desktop for the average user who just wants things to work and not have to spend hours learning how to make things work. Sure, certain stuff works out of the box but the other stuff (which is the interesting one) requires learning console commands which has a steep learning curve.

There comes a time when the available functionality exceeds the requirement and is useless for the end user. In facts, the added functionality just makes the system more complex - kinds like Vista and Linux as a whole. This is the case on the desktop for Linux.

Linux fanboys are blind to the negative (or grey) aspects of Linux while Windows fanboys just want things to work without going to any additional lengths. In all, it's your own use, enthusiasm and amount of time available to waste which matters.