LinkdotNet Throttling my (upgraded) 4MB connection?

Hi All,

I just recently upgraded my 2MB connection (using since 3+ years) with LDN to a 4MB connection. When my connection was upgraded I was getting superb speeds Speedtest.net showed my connection to be in the range of 3.2~3.5Mbps and my torrents went up to the same speeds as well (320~350kB/s) now after a week of using the connection, this is what I am getting :(

1638430090.png

Is my connection being throttled now? I called LDN support, they said for them in a 4MB connection a speed of 120kB/s is acceptable as a 4MB connection speed and speed below this and they will be able to report my case further.

Can anyone with a LDN 4MB connection confirm the speed they are getting (on speedtest.net and on torrents)?

If this is the normal 4MB speed then my 2MB connection was better then this that gave me a constant 1.8Mb/s speed over the years... and I will start thinking of going back to my 2MB connection... why pay double when the speed increase is less then 15%

Link DOT net sucks man get rid of it...

If your line conditions are good then opt for PTCL. I know generally PTCL sucks too but its far better then LDN IMO.

I tried PTCL too, got a brand new phone line installed just to get the PTCL 2MB DSL... and guess what? I was allocated 1MB and was being charged for 2MB, the dumbo's at PTCL never understood that the modem is 'syncing' at 1MB and not 2MB 12 complains in a month and I gave up, with LDN at-least I am heard.

and it was when?

[quote=“Faisal, post:4, topic:16134”]

and it was when?

[/quote]

The PTCL incident? it was the previous month (November 2011)

You know people, here, almost everything sucks. God knows better when this sucking behaviour would be ....... .

[quote=", post:5, topic:16134"]

The PTCL incident? it was the previous month (November 2011)

[/quote]

Seriously I don’t what can be done here. But all I can is that you could try opting for a new PTCL line (if you can afford), try using the internet without the phone attached to the line. as for if you encounter any problem in your new line, don’t bother complaining to the help line, just go to your relevant exchange, be vigilant about your problem and "damagh ki dahi bana do exchange walon ki’ …

Or you could do this for your existing line… but for that you would have get rid of LDN first. which IMO sucks anyway with or without the throttling…

I posted this before: if you have splitters, you may need to insert a splitter (or a filter) on every point of contact with a telephone handset, DEPENDING on the arrangement at your place.

Search the forum - I've posted a long explanation. I discovered that was the only way to ensure my modem syncs were good (and my attainable line rate jumped from ~8 to ~22k (which is what it is right now)

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, shaheerk. depends upon on line condition/stats. if you have a relatively minor line problem, could be remedied by REMOVING the splitter and connecting the DSL modem directly to the RJ11 box. It usually helps reducing the frequent disconnections resulting from noise margin and high attenuation. But with this, you can't use you phone.

BTW waqas can you post your modem page stats here?. which should reflect your line stats and sync rates.

[quote=“Faisal, post:9, topic:16134”]

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t, shaheerk. depends upon on line condition/stats. if you have a relatively minor line problem, could be remedied by REMOVING the splitter and connecting the DSL modem directly to the RJ11 box. It usually helps reducing the frequent disconnections resulting from noise margin and high attenuation. But with this, you can’t use you phone.

BTW waqas can you post your modem page stats here?. which should reflect your line stats and sync rates.

[/quote]

Here you go, do let me know if there is anything interesting in it?

9a4rp2.png

YOgFt.jpg

Well your getting 2mbps speeds cause your sync rate is 2mbps=2018kbps .... Call your ISP and get it fixed and possibly a refund of some sort for the days spent in 2mbps...

while your at it .... get your line checked as well. line attenuation is very high (circled in blue). Which is not good for your line at all. That's the reason why your modem is only getting synced at 2mbps instead of 4mbps. cause line is too weak for 4mbps so unless you get it fixed, you will not be able to enjoy even 2mbps with the passage of time.

EDIT: you mentioned in your first post that you were getting 320~350kB/s speed initially. thats not even 3mbps, 2.7mbps (350KB/s).

Don't get ripped off my friend. Get what your paying for (LDN charges 3700Rs+ for 4mbps right?)

yep Faisal is right you are being ripped off, Your modem stats clearly state that you are using something like 2mb dsl.

Thanks guys calling them right now.. will get back to you

OK guys, I just did a restart of the router and here are the new 'refreshed' statistics ... confused on what to do now... the speed test shows that the speed is no more then 2Mb/s...

I was getting 1.7~1.8Mb/s on my 2MB connection previously (on speedtest.com)... what to do now???

1642115705.png

34sgz00.png

*EDIT: My line man is a punk, I had a *NEW* line installed a month ago (with PTCL DSL) just found out its dead (was not using it since I was using LDN)... will call the #$%# head and get that PTCL line fixed and then 'upgrade' the DSL to 4MB on PTCL and see.... but I honestly would like my LDN to go back to what it was (when I upgraded to 4MB)

I have already told the probable reason for ur connection to act like 2mbps when it should have been 4mbps. It because of ur line stats. Even with the new pic, its pretty clear that line attenuation is 44 which should be around 20 to 22 and SRN margin is at 16 which should be 28 or over especially, if you want to have a 4mbps connection.

I can bet that your still be getting 2mbps speeds even though after the restart, the sync rate has gone back to 4mbps right? Thats what happen when ur line gets weak (resulting in higher attenuation values) or has distortion (resulting in lower SNR values) due to joints, cuts, rust in the line.

When this happens you start to get frequent disconnections cause your modem is trying to sync according to your subscribed data rate (which is 4mbps in ur case) but the line is not supporting it... so after some disconnection the modem syncs in with data rate which ur line supporting in it current weaker state. and that's how ur getting 2mbps speeds whether modem is syncing at ur subscribed data rate or lower.

As I understand from ur post , you have two PTCL lines. one is dead and other one is used with LDN. You try and fix your dead line and subscribe 4mbps PTCL connection. Go to ur relvent exchange the be authoritative about ur problem, after all, your paying for it with all the profits to the ISP and taxes to the govt. know the names of the personal and their designations whom are dealing with at that exchange.

As for LDN line, call ur ISP and get it fixed. But let me suggest that its always better if u opt for PTCL DSL if you have PTCL line. Having PTCL line and LDN DSL (since LDN does not have a its own line infrastructure), will always put you in between two rival companies specially, if one (LDN) is dependent on the other (PTCL) for the resolution of technical issues such as your. If it doesn't go well, then it will be YOU, suffering.

Besides a perfect 2or4mbps PTCL connection is far better then a perfect 2or4mbps LDN connection overall in my experience and IMO.

Here are my line stats for my 4mbps PTCL DSL

qx6NX.jpg

As you can see the SN margin (circled in red) and attenuation value (circled in blue), are perfect for my line. I got this new line installed over one and half month ago and was facing frequent disconnections due to higher attn from day one. values which crossing 30. I complained on help line, some guys came, nothing really happened. I went to my exchange, asked the fix it and threatened them to not pay the a single penny in the coming bill but in polite but authoritative manner. They sent same guys, they did something. Now the attn value is fixed on 21.5 for over a month and not a single disconnection, no matter how many times I restart the modem since then and my line stays perfect unless there's some back-end problem and I get 470KB/s down with ~85KB/s up speeds on torrents 99% of the time. It hits 500+KB/s on IDM.

Thanks for you time and help in the matter, I will get the second dead line up and running again and also has LDN send someone to fix the problem let see how it goes, I will update once I have a result.

Thanks Faisal!

Hey Faisal,

Thank you! It was because of you I knew what I was looking for... called up the line-man and got the 'dead' line working again turns out somebody stole the wire!!! so got a new line done from my home till the 'box' and now the PTCL line with PTCL DSL has the following stat's (let me know what you think of them? I think both the SNR and Attenuation are super?).... just one thing left now, upgrade my PTCL DSL to 4MB :)

2cfus68.png

*EDIT: LDN problem is as-is, there line-man will come in 1-2 days (did a complain with them)

I used LDN 6 months ago and had the same issue. the complaints were never resolved. In simple words terrible experience with LDN. I would suggest you all to use Wi-Tribe as i have been using it for the past 6 months and have NO issue...

[quote=", post:17, topic:16134"]

Hey Faisal,

Thank you! It was because of you I knew what I was looking for… called up the line-man and got the ‘dead’ line working again turns out somebody stole the wire!!! so got a new line done from my home till the ‘box’ and now the PTCL line with PTCL DSL has the following stat’s (let me know what you think of them? I think both the SNR and Attenuation are super?)… just one thing left now, upgrade my PTCL DSL to 4MB :)

2cfus68.png

*EDIT: LDN problem is as-is, there line-man will come in 1-2 days (did a complain with them)

[/quote]

I am glad :)

and good to know your line got resurrected, the new stats looks fantastic. go for 4mbps :)

[quote=", post:18, topic:16134"]

I used LDN 6 months ago and had the same issue. the complaints were never resolved. In simple words terrible experience with LDN. I would suggest you all to use Wi-Tribe as i have been using it for the past 6 months and have NO issue…

[/quote]

Unfortunately, Wi-Tribe is not for torrenting.