Li-Fi - The future of Wi-Fi is coming

Just one word, "Wow!" B)

Comments?

AFAIK, this idea is pretty old news by now. I remember reading about it a long time back. Dunno why so much brouhaha recently about this in the tech media. Maybe they finally got the commercial prototypes working?

yes!!!!!! its an old talk ...........

Yes, commercial prototypes are now almost ready to go because of high demand for bandwidth, (have been reading about companies with designs finalizing) ..As SSD can easily do 1TBPS speeds now, even micro SD cards can read and write near 100Mb speeds, and every house has now around 5-10 devices on same router.. even semi commercial routers currently available for home and offices with multi antennas and bursts speeds are incapable of providing enough speed for all connected PCs and servers as well as coverage areas of more than 2 floors max with interruptions.

i recently changed my 150MbPS router to a wide coverage 300MbPS router since i didnt even utilize 150MbPS ever.. within 3 months of going everything wifi in home, i really feel that it should have been a 300MBPS instead of 300MbPS.. demands are getting higher and higher as we move to bigger and better equipment.

Even though this li-fi wil be atleast half a decade away for affordable home use, it could be very cost effective and beneficial in SOHO environments.

[quote=“Asad, post:2, topic:22395”]

AFAIK, this idea is pretty old news by now. I remember reading about it a long time back. Dunno why so much brouhaha recently about this in the tech media. Maybe they finally got the commercial prototypes working?

[/quote]

Not gonna lie. I personally didn’t know of it until yesterday when i saw that video.

In any case, the tech may be old per say, but it’s only reaching production phase now. We still won’t be seeing it replacing Wifi (or perhaps it will be complimenting the old tech for reasons mentioned in the video) anytime soon.

Whatever the case may be, it is definitely a cool tech nonetheless & i look forward to using it in future.

------

Farhan liked his own post. Talk about desperation. :P

^ if you weren't as dumb , or you had a bit of comon sense , (since you CLAIM to be the elite poster here by copy pasting logs), you would have known, you CANNOT like your own post.

almost 2016 and still dumass as hell.. disappointing really,

The privacy implications are mentioned as a benefit but even light coming out of windows can be spied upon using appropriately focused receivers. There is some privacy benefit but of limited scope. Encryption should be baked into the protocol itself. This could be quite interesting on the basis of high Gbps throughput.

Using a 5GHz wifi link could also solve privacy issues since its propagation is very limited compared to 2.4GHz band. Wireless will always have lesser bandwidth unless you get into hardware gimmicks of limited use and high expense.

Powerline networking also offers an interesting option and it is one to seriously consider with currently available devices (available even in Pakistan). Interconnects can be powerline on a single AC phase and further endpoint propagation can be via cheap wifi access points or routers. Even neighborhood (quasi-cable) networking could be possible, especially in congested areas with small homes using single AC phase.The only concern with that is that I am not sure how that will behave during load shedding. Anyone here utilizing Powerline who could clarify on the effect of load shedding on the link?

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:6, topic:22395”]

^ if you weren’t as dumb , or you had a bit of comon sense , (since you CLAIM to be the elite poster here by copy pasting logs), you would have known, you CANNOT like your own post.

almost 2016 and still dumass as hell… disappointing really,

[/quote]

And if you weren’t a humorless nazi buffoon, you’d know i was joking. :rolleyes:

But I’m not disappointed in you, you’re still just your old lame self. :lol:

Happy winters! B)