Lets discover the best brand of hdd

the idea in my mind is to explore the best brand in present market of hard disk. just forget about the goodwill of specific brands but share the real experience u faced.

I have owned 4 Seagate hard disks...

Starting with a 1 GB (PATA) in my first computer...worked fine...but developed a few bad sectors..but mostly kept working OK...

Another 4.33 GB one (PATA)...worked fine...no bad sectors, didn't fail...

Then a 80 GB one (SATA 1)...worked good for five years...used it quite rigorously actually...didn't develop any bad sectors or anything (it was a bit noisy though)...but this year after countless unexpected power outages thanks to WAPDA/IESCO, it starting making a strange twitchy noises, and finally died...

and 250 GB (SATA 2)...working for around 2 years...still working fine...

I have owned 1 WD harddisk, bought just a month ago, its a 250 GB Sata 2...working fine...noticed that its a bit quieter than any of the Seagate's I've owned...

I also have 1 Maxtor 80 GB (2.5") hard disk (in a portable hard disk case)...working ok...but havn't used it much...

I have been a seagate user for a long time but recently switched to WD. Many Seagate HDDs have failed on me. Personally, I am of the opinion that both are about the same performance and reliability wise.

If you want something better, go for Samsung SpinPoint series of HDDs. They are quiet, run cool and have equivalent performance.

i had 3gb maxtor abt 6yrs back and after using it for abt 6 months there were bad sectors in it....

then i switched to 10gb segate and worked fine for a year...then got 40gb segate and got some bad sectors in it but didn't cause too much problem.......

now using maxtor 250gb sata and its an headache for me...sometimes giving sounds like u r riding a tanga tuc tuc tuc and turns off...i hav to giv it rest for 5 10 minutes and then it is in useable condition...also temp is very high around 55-60c..

I've had both brands fail and both brands work for a really long time. They are about equal.

I find WD SATA

AND Seagate are the best!

WD is faster but it has little resale value as some shopkeepers wont buy it from you.

I own 80GB Hitatchi which i bought from UK is working perectly fine no noise since 2004

In the past, I owned,

1) 30GB seagate (5400 RPM)

2) 40 GB seagate (5400 RPM)

In recent past, I owned,

1) 80 GB seagate baracuda (7200RPM)

2) 80 GB western digital (7200 RPM)

I had both of the aforementioned disks until I was using a desktop

Now, I own,

1) 120 GB Fujitsu (5400 RPM), 2.5" HDD , no usage (I'm thinking to sell it)

2) 160 GB Fujitsu (5400 RPM), 2.5" HDD, (using it in my HP dv6059EA)

3) 320 GB Seagate (7200 RPM), 2.5" SATA-II HDD (using it in my Lenovo R61 8920B6U)

I've owned quite a number of Seagates..

from 10GB to 400GB

Nearly all fail after 2 ~ 3 yrs of wear and tear..

I've been using Seagate Barracuda 400GB Since it's launch and it just died on me this year.

My use is quite hectic since i rarely turn my PC off and I always have Torrent Clients working background. (even when i am gaming).

So all and all, Seagates drive tend to die alot.

Haven't use any other so can't say anything but imo, an HD shouldn't die at all :< :P

I own 80 GB SeaGate barracuda for abot two years now, i've used it rigorously but still its working fine.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I’ve owned quite a number of Seagates…

from 10GB to 400GB

Nearly all fail after 2 ~ 3 yrs of wear and tear…

I’ve been using Seagate Barracuda 400GB Since it’s launch and it just died on me this year.

My use is quite hectic since i rarely turn my PC off and I always have Torrent Clients working background. (even when i am gaming).

So all and all, Seagates drive tend to die alot.

Haven’t use any other so can’t say anything but imo, an HD shouldn’t die at all :< :P

[/quote]

you need a cooling solution for your harddisks.

so whoelse used Hitachi HDD's ?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

you need a cooling solution for your harddisks.

[/quote]

I have an 80mm fan facing towards and blowing in air…

Don’t really think i need a seperate cooling solution

i have a 200gb seagate(used for 5 years and is still kicking ass)

2* 750gb WDs(more than a year and they are working flawlessly)

i hv been using 160 GB Seagate barracuda for 2 yrs and still working fine, nonetheless bcoz of repetitive connection and disconnection of HDD between computers one of the connection cable pins broke and had to get it repaired. Is there any way to make HDD last longer, my usage is that my PC is never turned off and HDD is always in use bcoz of torrent downloads?