Let the show begins!

I know that no politics discussion is allowed. And it has nothing to do with tech either. However, our (at least mine) life is heavily affected with this. If mods can tolerate then I would like to discuss this show-down from non-political way, from a common man's point-of-view.

Some points:

- Rawalpindi is locked downed.

- Islamabad is locked downed (haven't seen it myself).

- ARY has scrolled that telecommunication companies got written order to shut down their cellular services in Rawalpindi/Islamabad (BillaBadmash's thread for it http://www.wiredpakistan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5318).

- Murree-Islamabad road is blocked.

- GT Road-Rawalpindi blocked, Murree Road, Peshawar Road, Mall, some round-abouts/roads are blocked with containers.

- Geo News is already blocked.

- Federal Minister Sheri Rehman resigned and prime minister accepted her resignation.

- Petrol/CNG station are closed for at least 3 PM of March 15, 2009.

- DCO Rawalpindi ordered local holiday for Rawalpindi. All offices and schools/colleges will be closed.

- 15,000 policemen are in Rawalpindi.

- Army and rangers are called in. (I have seen many army soldiers at many places).

- There is no way to get to hospitals in case of emergency (roads blocked with containers).

UPDATE:

- Attock bridge is blocked. Hundreds of cars are stuck at Attock bridge and at Murree-Islamabad road blocks.

- Islamabad Airport locked down. Iraqi Prime Minister's plane landed in Karachi instead of Islamabad.

- Kashmir to Islamabad road blocked. Karrakum Road blocked (who is going to come from there? :) ). Jehlum Bridge blocked. Hundreds of cars stuck at Jehlum bridge.

UPDATE:

- Motorcycles and two-wheelers are prohibited in Rawalpindi (ordered by Naib Nazim).

UPDATE:

- (Aaj TV) Lawyers crossed Sutlej River by swimming (seriously? :) )

- (Royal News) Murree Road is additionally blocked at Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium too.

- (ARY One) Lahore-Rawalpindi Motorway blocked for all kind of traffic at many places.

- (ARY One) Azad-Kashmir Police blocked Muzafrabad Bridge (to Rawalpindi).

- (ARY One) Peshawar-Rawalpindi Motorway blocked for all kind of traffic at many places.

- All out-going routes from Lahore are blocked.

- Banks' ATMs will be shutdown from 4 AM today, March 15, 2009 (WTH?).

- Police raided on hotels, hostels, guest-houses in Islamabad and taken 80+ people under arrest.

UPDATE:

- (Aaj TV) Qaid-e-Azam University's and Zarraye University's (and many other student hostels) Boys and Girls hostels are forcefully emptied. Universities have ordered students (including girls) to get out of hostels (without any future notice) otherwise in morning when police will come then they won't be able to help them.

UPDATE:

- As per governments order, some cellular companies have blocked (since noon of March 15, 2009) sending of SMS/MMS from Rawalpindi and Islamabad.

--------

I'll advice all fellow members in Rawalpindi and Islamabad to stay inside their homes and do not go to far to watch the "show".

Please keep updating with new developments. Please also keep this thread as much non-political as much possible. Thank you.

Someone should sue this government to the tune of billions of rupees for losses to businesses. The economic condition is already unstable and this only serves to further destabilize it.

Democracy Pakistan ko lay doobi! :(

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Someone should sue this government to the tune of billions of rupees for losses to businesses. The economic condition is already unstable and this only serves to further destabilize it.

Democracy Pakistan ko lay doobi! :(

[/quote]

Agreed. Another disturbing news is that as usual government had forcefully taken trucks/trailers/containers/buses from transporters. All Pakistan Transporters Association is on strike from last three days. Lots of goods and containers are left on sea-ports (Karachi port). After 3 days of waiting, many international ships are returing without unloading to port. Some are dumping goods at Dubai port.

Can Pakistan’s already-downed economy and businesses afford such losses? The losses will increase many folds in coming days. It will takes days or weeks to assess losses. They will be in at least billions figure-range.

comparing 1 year of democracy with 9 years of military rule eh?? (;

not a fan of this govt but dont blame it on democracy, puhleez!

pakistan is going through a phase, the process is slow but we will eventually reach there where we should be.

I wish I was near Lahore or Islamabad, so I could become

part of a great wave of humanity that sweeps through the

capitol and wipes it clean of all najasat (can I say crap ?).

Sheikh 'Chief Ke Jan-nisaar!...' Chilli

I wish I was near Lahore or Islamabad, so I could become

part of a great wave of humanity that sweeps through the

capitol and wipes it clean of all najasat (can I say crap ?).

Sheikh ‘Chief Ke Jan-nisaar!..’ Chilli

[/quote]

You won’t be able to come to Islamabad in these days as even VVIP like Iraqi Prime Minister’s plane can’t land at Islamabad Airport :)

There was a news reporter claiming that the govt has actually pulled containers with goods still in them in a desperate move to scramble road blocks and so on. It sounds dramatic but who knows. Any how this govt. seems to be clasping with nails and teeth to hang on..

It seems pakistan has no future.

It seems pakistan has no future.
[/quote]

We make our own future.

There was a news reporter claiming that the govt has actually pulled containers with goods still in them in a desperate move to scramble road blocks and so on. It sounds dramatic but who knows. Any how this govt. seems to be clasping with nails and teeth to hang on…
[/quote]

Possible, it had been done in past by previous governments. No doubt that this government will do it too. Police/Local-government don’t care much whether there is any goods in container or who owns it. They take it like dakoits. That’s why All Pakistan Transporters Association is on strike from last 3 days.

I don't understand one thing!! Why we are doing this ? I mean what happens if some wakils and people reach Islamabad.

By the way I have heard all restaurant will be closed on 16th so they die hungry :D

We make our own future.

[/quote]

We may not feel it now but we are forging history right now. Next generation will view all these events as critics and will ask very uncomfortable questions to us (then older generation) that “what you people did at that time?”

I don’t understand one thing!! Why we are doing this ? I mean what happens if some wakils and people reach Islamabad.

By the way I have heard all restaurant will be closed on 16th so they die hungry :D

[/quote]

thats the thing, a peaceful protest is not illegal. This govt is desperate, and its showing.

Islamabad IS NOT locked down

Rawalpindi IS NOT locked down

NO ARMY IN SIGHT IN RAWALPINDI

Islamabad airport NOT LOCKED DOWN.

why am I saying that? Because i just came from islamabad airport back to rawalpindi via murre road.

I don’t understand one thing!! Why we are doing this ? I mean what happens if some wakils and people reach Islamabad.

[/quote]

Restaurants, shops, schools, colleges, government/private offices, petrol pumps, CNG stations, ATM machines will be closed as ordered by government.

Islamabad IS NOT locked down

Rawalpindi IS NOT locked down

NO ARMY IN SIGHT IN RAWALPINDI

Islamabad airport NOT LOCKED DOWN.

why am I saying that? Because i just came from islamabad airport back to rawalpindi via murre road.

[/quote]

Have you not seen any container? I have seen myself army soliders appointed at many locations of Mall, Containment Area, Saddar, near GHQ Road, Airport Road, Adyala Road (coming to my home there).

^ ahhh Goverment !!! If this democracy then I hate democracy. by the way why we need army ! I don't think india is going to attack on 16th. Damn these pictures really look like jaise we are going to have war on 16th :D

Want to share some of the pics, I just wish I was in Islamabad.

610x.jpg

army_pak_lead.jpg

yes there are containers, but currently they are not being used to block anything, they are just standing besides the road.

So what exactly does the government intend to do with all these soldiers... are they gonna be there for peacekeeping... or peacemaking?

yes there are containers, but currently they are not being used to block anything, they are just standing besides the road.
[/quote]

Dude can’t you see these containers !! I havent seen that big containers in my life in karachi ! and watch the pictures. You will find army and roads blocked with containers. May be you missed some of the sights while raveling in your car :D