LED with and without 120 hz or LCD with 120 hz

hello guys

i am going to buy a new lcd or led tv for my bedroom. but diffrnt dealers made me so confused. i have a budget of almost 1 lac rupees and available options are sony and samsung but i'll go for Sony because of a proper after sale service repute. now in this budged there are two models in 40" led one is sony 40ex710 that is old model and now discontinued but having 120 hz true motion technology and with bravia engine 3. 2nd is 40" led sony 40ex520 and launched recently in this week. its latest model by sony with wifi and dlna skype youtube built in brwoser and many things like that and in place of bravia engine 3 it has x reality engine that is also a latest chip but with no 120 hz motion flow. that is so confusing that why they skipped true motion in latest model ( was there any fault with previous motion flow or sony forgot to add this option in new model :s ) and 3rd option that sales man told me to go for was lcd 46" sony 46ex500 with a larger screen size but lcd and bravia engine 2 and of course motion flow 120 hz. now i am totaly confused in this stuff..

advance thanks for all ideas and help topics u can share with me

Regards

LCD TVs/Monitors are safer for eyes. I will recommend LCD one. Although LED technology has much improved the display quality but on the other hand, you can not buy new eyes. Rest is your choice.

[quote=“blogger, post:2, topic:14711”]

Although LED technology has much improved the display quality but on the other hand, you can not buy new eyes. Rest is your choice.

[/quote]

thanks for a good advice, that was a new point for me and now i am Googling it… anything about plasma tv then?

LCD TVs/Monitors are safer for eyes. I will recommend LCD one. Although LED technology has much improved the display quality but on the other hand, you can not buy new eyes. Rest is your choice.

[/quote]

:rolleyes:<_<

[quote=“Asad, post:4, topic:14711”]

:rolleyes:<_<

[/quote]

what does it mean asad?

[/quote]

Those LED TV models advertised these days are simply standard LCD with LED used as back-lighting. This neither improves picture quality nor any improvement in eye safety.

The only improvement with LCD + LED can be the contrast ratio if and only if the LED back lighting is active matrix type. This will give you more rich black colors improving contrast ration considerably.

If you can not find active matrix LED backlit TV, no need to waste your money.

[quote=", post:6, topic:14711"]

Those LED TV models advertised these days are simply standard LCD with LED used as back-lighting. This neither improves picture quality nor any improvement in eye safety.

If you can not find active matrix LED backlit TV, no need to waste your money.

[/quote]

the picture quality in sony led is far batter than lcd and they give a crispy result than lcd… and yes contrast ratio is obvsly higher than ccfl backlights. and i dunno about active matrix thing…

my confusion is only that, shld i prefer motion flow 120 hz in one year old model and no motion flow in latest model launched in this may. and now this big panga :D good or bad for eys… yes led is bad for eyes but is that led? and 2ndly this is edge led which means leds are on the sides of screen… no led is placed in backpanel of screen so that they can make a design in range of 40-25 mm.

http://reviews.cnet.com/led-tvs-review-10-things-you-need-to-know

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20091008/LED_demo.jpg

this is what they say diffrnce in back lighting in lcd or led

Let's review the display technology a little. There are mainly LCD, TFT, AMOLED and Plasma (CRT is too old and almost obsolete). Unlike Plasma and AMOLED which are emissive technologies where each pixel itself is a light source, the LCD/TFT is transmissive technology where each pixel has to be illuminated from behind (back-lit) or side (edge-lit).

Back-lit LCDs have a matrix of LEDs placed on a uniform grid. If each LED is controlled individually by the electronic controller, the back-lit LCD can have one major advantage i.e. local dimming. Local dimming means the picture can show solid blacks thus greatly improving the contrast ratio and thus better picture quality. The disadvantage is that LCD can not be made thinner.

Edge-lit means illuminating the LCD from edges, either one edge or two edges or all four edges (in large size LCDs). This scheme yields super thin LCD panels but no local dimming and no improvement in contrast ratio.

LED TV/Monitors have higher brightness (cd/m2) as compared to older CCFL backlighting. Also LEDs can offer various color temperatures thus they seem to be more bright and seem to be producing better picture quality.

I will not recommend LED monitor because you are too near to it while working. It is more bright than CCFL back-lit LCD monitors.

[quote=“nvd650, post:8, topic:14711”]

http://reviews.cnet.com/led-tvs-review-10-things-you-need-to-know

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20091008/LED_demo.jpg

this is what they say diffrnce in back lighting in lcd or led

[/quote]

Now you know the so called LED TV/Monitor :)

For your 120Hz motionflow query, please see this

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6792632-1.html

[quote=", post:9, topic:14711"]

I will not recommend LED monitor because you are too near to it while working. It is more bright than CCFL back-lit LCD monitors.

[/quote]

:s i dun need it for my pc… its for my bedroom :s and what about eyes phenomena?

[quote=“nvd650, post:11, topic:14711”]

:s i dun need it for my pc… its for my bedroom :s and what about eyes phenomena?

[/quote]

No problem then, avoid full brightness for long periods to save energy and your eyes :D

BTW: These devices are designed under international standards and are safe. Manufacturers need to get approvals from regulatory bodies before they can market the product.

@nvd650

Got your thread

already told you about the "Danger to Eyes" fact in other thread it shouldn't harm you or your eyes..

LEDs (the small diodes) themselves (if seen directly) will have impact on your eyes the way you are wondering about. When they will be behind an LCD, you don't need to be afraid of that. Just keep the configuration at a proper level.

*If you can get an LED TV and as you have already found it more convenient for you to view (which actually is), then Go for it

In my opinion, 120 Hz monitors should not be bought. One has to sit near to it and the frequency is extremely high. On the other hand, TV with such frequency is advisable as one has to sit far away from it.

Old fashioned CRT Monitors/Televisions (CRT stands for cathode ray tube, also called as picture tube) are much worst for eyes as compared to LED/LCD monitors. The reason is, dangerous radiations are emitted out of the picture tube that roasts the human eyes. LCD Monitors/TVs carry a fluorescent lamp behind the liquid crystal display making it safer for eyes. In comparison of LED TVs with CRT TVs, LED TVs are preferable. And in comparison of LED TVs with fluorescent lamp LCD TVs (with or without 120Hz frequency), LCD TVs are recommendable.

Today, every 5th or 10th or 15th person is suffering from short sightedness problem and wears spectacles, contact lenses. Why is the ratio so high? It is not heriditical in most chances, not even vitamins deficiency factor in some cases, but the radiations which are emitted from displays are responsible.

finally i've bought sony 40ex710 model led with 120 hz motion flow. the fact on eyes of led, i read a lot about that.. then finally i configured that edge led is not that much dangerous as of full led lcd ( LG claims to make full led lcd) and yes when we compared LG to any other brand like sony, panasonic, samsung or haier no one stands there.. lg is far better than those all leds. i went to hyper star lahore and there i asked salesman to keep sony and lg led side by side and the diffrnc in display was clearly noticeable. but the fact is again that only lg is making full led that is behind the screen and is more dangerous for eyes than edge led in which leds are at the edges of screen. and @blogger 120hz really must not be bought but if it always run at 120 hz like in case of plasma tvs specially but in this model there are 3 options for 120hz, off, standard and high. and i kept it on standard only for games it shld be set to high.

i aslo emailed to sony about that old and new model. and today i rcvd call from sony pakistan, and she told me that 710 is not very old model (launched in august 2010) and compared to 520 model that's launched in this may.. 710 is higher than 520 model (520 has no motion flow but have good internet features built in like skype and youtube but that u can also get in one mobile of 15000 rps)

[/quote]

Research has established that computer monitors emit little or no hazardous radiation, such as x-ray, or

non-ionizing radiation, such as ultraviolet rays.

While computers have no known harmful effects on eyesight, computer users do often

complain of eye related symptoms such as eyestrain, headaches, fatigue, dry eyes, and

difficulty focusing, These symptoms (Computer Vision Syndrome - CVS) however are

caused not by the computer screen itself but rather by the conditions surrounding the

computer screen, such as poor lighting or improper placement of computer equipment

and computer furniture. In some instances, a pre-existing eye problem may be the cause.

The following things can contribute to eyestrain:

Having to read or use a computer at a fixed, set distance for a long continuous

period of time. Even if a person has more than adequate focusing ability, focusing at

a set distance continuously can fatigue the lens.

Having to read or work at very close distances. This requires much more focusing

and leads to more rapid fatigue.

Using inadequately powered reading glasses, or using an outdated glasses

prescription.

Working in situations with inadequate lighting, or with glare from overhead lighting.

Having other underlying eye problems, such as ocular allergy or dry eye.

Having an imbalance in eye muscle alignment, so that the eyes have to fight to stay

fixated on a near object.

go for led with 120 hz refresh rage

i also want to know if anyone know about Vietnam Cambodia Travel agencies?