Learning to drive

I am just finishing my 10 day (1/2 hour per day) driving course today. I am not confident to take a car on my own specially on main roads with speeds above 40/50. Is this all that can be learned in 5 hours behind the wheel or am I just a slow learner?? My instructor says people who do not have any relative/friend to assist them may need another course??

Can you guys share your experiences of learning to drive. Did you take the course more then once?

The Driving Schools are just a "Drama", the instructor have all the controls and you only have to steer, but when you actually drive a car you came to know that its different, you can't adjust your foot positions on clutch and race for a few days, so my advice is that you have already done more time at a school now its time to do the practical.

And keep one thing in mind, Driving at higher speeds doesn't mean you are a good driver, Good driving means "Control". Don't go on main roads yet, drive in the streets, practice turns, try driving in narrow streets so you may learn how to drive in congested areas/roads.

Didn't needed any course to learn driving.

What you should do is find some open space nearby and practice driving like normal. As you gain confidence start adding obstacles to the area and driving through them. It will help you gain confidence which is the most important thing needed for driving. Driving itself is a piece of cake.

^^^

let me add little more

1- always start learning car with manual transmission, if you have automatic than borrow manual transmission car from somebody. if you get your skills polished in manual transmission than automatic transmission car is easy

2- when driving manual transmission you are going to use both of your legs, your left leg is always gonna be used for clutch only, your right leg is always gonna be used for either accelerator or brake at a given time.

3- when driving automatic you are going to use only one leg, so best way to learn is to think you got only one right leg and your left leg doesn't exist (langra), so you are going to use only your right leg at a given time either its gonna be on accelerator or brake. thats easy it is.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

if you have automatic than borrow manual transmission car from somebody.
[/quote]

You can never learn good at a borrowed car! :(

You can never learn good at a borrowed car! :(

[/quote]

not sure what that means,

anyways just practise changing gears and releasing the clutch, stay calm, avoid going on main roads like everyone suggested. and remember always buckle up. (wear your seat belt)

I am just finishing my 10 day (1/2 hour per day) driving course today. I am not confident to take a car on my own specially on main roads with speeds above 40/50. Is this all that can be learned in 5 hours behind the wheel or am I just a slow learner?? My instructor says people who do not have any relative/friend to assist them may need another course??

Can you guys share your experiences of learning to drive. Did you take the course more then once?

[/quote]

i learnt driving in like 2-3 days , my little bro taught me driving :) , one suggestion drive fast very very fast ! and don’t get scared like try to drive more on roads with traffic , some overtakes too that will give you some confidence .

^

lol...

dude ....

I learned to drive by just going to an open space near my house and start driving and after 4-5days i was on the road driving on most busiest road of my city with over 80kmph! :) By the way i should mention i learned driving on Suzuki Carry Dabba commonly known as Saboon-Danni! You need full power to steer and at the end of the day you'll be exhausted! As its steering is opposite of power steering!

As Archem3des mentioned focus on gears and every thing will be fine.

i learnt driving in like 2-3 days , my little bro taught me driving :) , one suggestion drive fast very very fast ! and don’t get scared like try to drive more on roads with traffic , some overtakes too that will give you some confidence .

[/quote]

this is very irresponsible thing you have written this could seriously have him cause accident and maybe end up taking somebody’s life, this kid is learning to drive so i am pretty sure he is gonna be 16 or 17 years old. in pakistan roads there are already families riding a motorbike with kids, there are school children going back and forth form home and school in vans and buses, there are people crossing the roads there are people on bicycles etc,

as it is traffic situations is chaotic while adults driving around. you are telling this young kid who is learning to drive, “to drive very very fast” and “overtakes” on roads with more traffic, yes this kid need to get confidence but this doesn’t mean to do speeding and be reckless.

firs learn to drive on the big grounds where there are no or less people for a week or so. then choose sum streets where u think not many people are present so u can gain confident. and gradually u can choose main roads.

Oh and try to download some DRIVING LEARNING SIMULATORS too play as much need for speed as you can (with setting the traffic as high mode). I also played them alot because it gave me control :P:D

[/quote]

Such a irresponsible comment Xain, I think you should be immediately banned from this forum and government should cancel your driving license… wait… do you have one :P

Such a irresponsible comment Xain, I think you should be immediately banned from this forum and government should cancel your driving license… wait… do you have one :P

[/quote]

thats sincere advice bro ofcourse he will drive fast on empty roads , if he will drive slow or with confused mind he may end his drive session via accident , seriously confused driving causes alot of troubles . i will apply for driving license when i will be 18 :P

thats sincere advice bro ofcourse he will drive fast on empty roads , if he will drive slow or with confused mind he may end his drive session via accident , seriously confused driving causes alot of troubles . i will apply for driving license when i will be 18 :P

[/quote]

I agree with this comment! MOst of the accidents occur due to confused minds! Decision making is an important factor while driving.

i learnt driving in like 2-3 days , my little bro taught me driving :)

[/quote]

Did you use joysticks or the keyboard??? :D

Did you use joysticks or the keyboard??? :D

[/quote]

on old wheel mouse bro not even optical one !

You definitely need to practice a lot before going out on your own. That is why they give you a learner license first so that you can practice with a real driver sitting next to you.

Also practice reversing a lot too. They often don't cover that well enough in driving school.