Lead Acid or Dry Battery, which is better for UPS?

Dear Friends,

Which battery is better for UPS, Lead Acid or Dry battery?

Some of my friends advised to replace the batteries with Dry Batteries. They argument that we can use lead acid battery for only 70% but dry batteries can be used for 100% and moreover, the life of dry batteries is very long as compare with lead acid.

Please share your experience.

[quote=“signode, post:, topic:”]

They argument that we can use lead acid battery for only 70% but dry batteries can be used for 100% and moreover, the life of dry batteries is very long as compare with lead acid.

[/quote]

If by dry batteries, he means Maintenance free lead acid batteries, then it is a misconception. The only difference is you don’t have to check and fill water.

However you need deep cycle batteries if you want to have good life and need deep discharging. They look same as the maintenance free lead acid batteries (or a dry battery) but internally they are much different.

are you saying that the maintainence free lead acid ones last the same ammount as the flooded batteries??

[quote=", post:2, topic:16822"]

If by dry batteries, he means Maintenance free lead acid batteries, then it is a misconception. The only difference is you don’t have to check and fill water.

However you need deep cycle batteries if you want to have good life and need deep discharging. They look same as the maintenance free lead acid batteries (or a dry battery) but internally they are much different.

[/quote]

Can you please mention some make and model of deep cycle batteries which are good for UPS? I’ll be very thankful for your answer (if you could give us few brand names and their models). Because there is already much confusion between, “liquid” and “dry”/“maintenance free” lead-acid batteries and “deep cycle batteries”.

[quote=“ShoukaT, post:3, topic:16822”]

are you saying that the maintainence free lead acid ones last the same ammount as the flooded batteries??

[/quote]

Yes, a flooded lead acid and a maintenance free lead acid are same - however you may get little better life due to the fact that battery will not die or degrade due to lack of water which you can easily forget to add in case of a flooded lead acid battery.

[Edit] A sealed lead acid battery AKA VRLA battery has some advantages like it can be fitted in any position, ventilation requirements are not as strict as for flooded batteries, no fumes or gases.

On the other hand, due to the calcium added to the plates (to reduce water losses), sealed batteries charge much slower than flooded batteries, they can not tolerate over-charging and will fail prematurely. They are more sensitive to high temperatures and may damage quickly in case of abusive charging.

[Edit]

[quote=“wampyr, post:4, topic:16822”]

Can you please mention some make and model of deep cycle batteries which are good for UPS? I’ll be very thankful for your answer (if you could give us few brand names and their models).

[/quote]

Try to find Delcor - Korea brand.

[quote=", post:6, topic:16822"]

Try to find Delcor - Korea brand.

[/quote]

Thank you.

Ijaz Ahmed

Thank you very much. You are quite helpful everywhere. Masha'Allah.

A few days ago, you saved me from wasting money on maintenance free battery.

Welcome Hawker :)

[quote=", post:5, topic:16822"]

Yes, a flooded lead acid and a maintenance free lead acid are same - however you may get little better life due to the fact that battery will not die or degrade due to lack of water which you can easily forget to add in case of a flooded lead acid battery.

[/quote]

Ijaz, I believe another factor is that our local battery shops do not prepare a valid mixture and often have the wrong gravity. Also, they don’t even use distilled water. I bet that’s a major contribution to lower life of wet batteries too. That’s apart from poor production quality as well.

^ Agree with improper initial preparation.

IMO the reduced battery life on UPS is mostly due to deep / heavy discharge nature of the application i.e. UPS.

Same battery we use in cars lasts for longer times.

Could not understand anything. so which is the best battery to buy ??? i am planning to buy one for my 1200watts ups

Dont buy crappy maintainence free *mf* battery like osaka aka volta are providing..it series is like IPS , go for lead acid ones ,it ll last longer plus the backup would br great,you just have to keep an eye on water level.

As you saying that local battery shops do not prepare a valid mixture and often have the wrong gravity. Also, they don't even use distilled water. So is there any specifications you recommend for making a valid mixture?

36% Sulphuric Acid + 64% distilled water.

So would it be a nice idea to mix it myself? Who knows they even playomg with the very to basic components in order to shorten the life span of the batteries.

can we use filtered water in UPS lead Acid batteries ? or it has to be distilled water only.

this one http://www.delcor.com/ ^_^

the easiest way to collect da distelled water for ur batteries r from ur air coditioner drain pipe i counted da TDS(total dissolved salts) which is 0

the easiest way to collect da distelled water for ur batteries r from ur air coditioner drain pipe i counted da TDS(total dissolved salts) which is 0

AGM n gel both r expansive type of MFB

all r lead acid

flooded r those in which we hv to add da water

never ever flush or add acid in them

flooded n MFB both can be deep cycle or for crancking da engine

if da battery is for crankinging then its rating always count in CCA ( Cold cranking Amp) thy act like capicitors just to give burst of amps nt for deep discharging normally for 5 % depth of discharge n normally 200 to 300 cycles need an alternator or charger who always charge them to ready for crankinging

these r da batteries on which we all spending money from da beginning of inverters in pakistan

bt da deep cycle type hv ratings normally in AH n design for deeper discharges bt in pakistan any thing can be possible hahahaha

so we hv mfb n flooded both hv types of deep cycle n cranking