LCD for CG work

Hello, i m planning to buy a new LCD, please suggest me for what i should look for. I will do some website designing and 3d work on that, also some printing work but very rarely.

no reply :(

AFAIK LCDs don't reproduce colour properly. So you will have to use a CRT if your into computer graphics.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

AFAIK LCDs don’t reproduce colour properly. So you will have to use a CRT if your into computer graphics.
[/quote]

I didn’t know Shrek3 or Crysis development teams used CRTs for accuracy of colours??

what size monitor are you considering?

I didn’t know Shrek3 or Crysis development teams used CRTs for accuracy of colours??

[/quote][quote=", post:, topic:"]

Colour Purity: This is where the CRT monitors take a clear advantage. However the best LCD monitors are very good and for an average user the difference is hardly noticeable in side by side comparison. The difference can vary from slight to significant depending on the quality of the LCD monitor used in comparison.

[/quote]

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/articles/Consumer-Advice/LCD_vs_CRT/

On the basis of image-quality alone, in my opinion LCD is the monitor of choice for “office” and technical/CAD applications (largely text-based, or detailed but colour-non-critical graphics), while CRT still has the upper hand for high-end photographic/art work and for television displays.

[/quote]

http://www.techmind.org/lcd/index.html

There are lots more such reviews out there. Suffice to say that you need a really expensive LCD to get anywhere close to the colours you can get from a CRT. Low end LCDs are too expensive for the Pakistani budget. Try finding a high end LCD in the Pakistani market.

@rokra,

i know the difference b/w CRTs and LCDs, I was referring to the development teams NOT USING CRTs for CG stuff.

if you're gonna quote me again then gimme a link where it states all the current CG development teams use CRTs for accuracy of colors.

P.S. that article you referred to was written in the first half of 2004, thats 4.5 years old. LCD technology has improved alot since then. the response time highlited in that article you pointed to is not a big issue anymore. most people are using 2ms LCDs now.

@rokra,

i know the difference b/w CRTs and LCDs, I was referring to the development teams NOT USING CRTs for CG stuff.

if you’re gonna quote me again then gimme a link where it states all the current CG development teams use CRTs for accuracy of colors.

P.S. that article you referred to was written in the first half of 2004, thats 4.5 years old. LCD technology has improved alot since then. the response time highlited in that article you pointed to is not a big issue anymore. most people are using 2ms LCDs now.

[/quote]

Those development teams you talked about have a multi million dollar budget and can afford high end LCDs. Its highly unlikely that the OP has similar sums of money at his disposal. So I don’t think its a fair comparison.

Get a 8bit lcd panel, instead of 6 bit.

The high end Viewsonic series or the samsung t220. 2ms. 1.7mp resolution. 100+hz rr. good colors.

Id suggest viewsonic, since you wont get an A panel in samsung in pakistan.

I have a sony CPD trinitron CRT at home, Takes a lot of power and well... DO READ ABOUT REFRESH RATE.

At work we have samsung t220s. I can work for 5 hours straight and not want to poke my eyes with a metal poker or barbeque rod.

Just get an LCD. Future proof yourself.

Tip : Go for HDMI for future proofing.

sorry for very late reply, ya i know most of the professional studios in hollywood and other part of world use LCDs now but those LCDs are so so so much expensive for me as these professional LCD is costing around 1700$ for a 19". So i m thinking to withdraw my decision and buy a new crt monitor.