Laptop Hard Drive Problem

Hello Everyone,

I am having a strange issue with my laptop. When the display turns off after few minutes which i set in Power Settings then laptop's hard drive starts to make clicking sound again and again after few seconds. Other than the laptop works fine it only when i keep my laptop idle for few minutes and it's display turns off. The sound is quite minimal. It seems that hard drive keeps restarting again and again.

Can anyone help please?

I too have a 'clicking' sound in my laptop, but it continues

until the laptop is turned off.

Aside from abnormal lag times in seek/write, when I am

playing a video (720p), the screen will intermittently go

black (sound continues). When I play the same video off

of a USB, then no flickering or black-outs.

Does this point to just the HD, or could it also be a Graphic

card problem ?.

Sheikh 'Sorry For Piggy-Backing Here' Chilli

Hello!

Normally the clicking sound would be the heads of the drive parking when going idle!

Now, there can be an issue with control over power saving features of the disk drives as the OS and drive firmware itself both can set parameters.

I remember such an issue of excessive drive head parking issue with Ubuntu (though not necessarily Ubuntu's fault).

The simple way to stop it would be to disable HDD idling by setting 'Turn off hard disk after' from under Advanced Power Settings to 0 within windows. Else, check for any firmware update for the hdd or some utility to manage acoustic/performance settings of the disk.

However, if you hear clicking all the time, it's likely that the drive is dying ... better to copy data off of it asap!

Regards,

Ahmed

[quote=“ahmedfarazch, post:3, topic:22516”]

Hello!

Normally the clicking sound would be the heads of the drive parking when going idle!

Now, there can be an issue with control over power saving features of the disk drives as the OS and drive firmware itself both can set parameters.

I remember such an issue of excessive drive head parking issue with Ubuntu (though not necessarily Ubuntu’s fault).

The simple way to stop it would be to disable HDD idling by setting ‘Turn off hard disk after’ from under Advanced Power Settings to 0 within windows. Else, check for any firmware update for the hdd or some utility to manage acoustic/performance settings of the disk.

However, if you hear clicking all the time, it’s likely that the drive is dying … better to copy data off of it asap!

Regards,

Ahmed

[/quote]

Well, i checked with “Turn off hard disk after” option from Power Settings but it didn’t stop it.

No, the hard drive don’t give clicking sound all the time just when i leave it idle and as soon as laptop display turns off sound starts but again it doesn’t come all the time. It comes for a second then stops and after few seconds sound comes again and looks like hard drive restarting itself again and again. The laptop is working perfectly okay and its happening from many months but i didn’t bother but i am concerned if it weakens the hard drive or its normal.

[quote=“Sani, post:4, topic:22516”]

Well, i checked with “Turn off hard disk after” option from Power Settings but it didn’t stop it.

No, the hard drive don’t give clicking sound all the time just when i leave it idle and as soon as laptop display turns off sound starts but again it doesn’t come all the time. It comes for a second then stops and after few seconds sound comes again and looks like hard drive restarting itself again and again. The laptop is working perfectly okay and its happening from many months but i didn’t bother but i am concerned if it weakens the hard drive or its normal.

[/quote]

Hello Again!

That last line was really meant for the other person so you needn’t worry!

Kindly list the full model number of your hdd … you can monitor the status of your hdd by enabling S.M.A.R.T (usually from BIOS) and monitoring Load Cycle Count via a disk info utility for signs of excessive head parking … and yes most people believe that excessive head parking impacts life of the drive … you’ll have to use a utility to set Acoustic/Performance parameters of your disk to disable excessive head parking … for WD drives, WDidle3 is provided by the company itself (here is an example of applying the utility http://www.storagereview.com/how_to_stop_excessive_load_cycles_on_the_western_digital_2tb_caviar_green_wd20ears_with_wdidle3 ) … third-party utilities like CrystalDiskInfo http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/manual-en/AamApm.html might help as well!

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Ahmed