Laptop Battery wear

Some ppl (more than one) have told me to plug in my laptop only when it needs charging. Keeping it always plugged in will wear out the battery more quickly.

Is this true? from whatever welectronics i have studied, it seems like reverse. doing so will increase battery charge/recharge cycles, which will wear it out more and reduce its capacity. besides, with this condition of electric supplu, i dunno when the power will b out and thus i want to always keep my laptop charged.

So will anyone help me with this

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Some ppl (more than one) have told me to plug in my laptop only when it needs charging. Keeping it always plugged in will wear out the battery more quickly.

Is this true? from whatever welectronics i have studied, it seems like reverse. doing so will increase battery charge/recharge cycles, which will wear it out more and reduce its capacity. besides, with this condition of electric supplu, i dunno when the power will b out and thus i want to always keep my laptop charged.

[/quote]

As far as i know you should keep your laptop plugged and only use battery when needed.That’s what i heard and i am using my laptop for almost 1 year with no battery wear.

[/quote]

i dont think its true coz with most laptops these days if the battery is fully charged they stop chargin the battery and use the power for the laptop so u shudnt worry too much

I never cared :) . I have been using my laptop almost 12 - 24 hours daily since mid-2005 and it still gives a battery life of 1.5 -2 hours in normal work on vista and 2 - 2.5 hours on XP. Originally, the battery life was 2.5 hours - 3 hours maximum.

It's always plugged but obviously it's discharged somewhat whenever electricity runs out, i.e. usually 4 hours in a day.

its always a good idea to use your laptop on battery once in while(even when you have access to a wall power outlet 24/7/365) well these days laptop's power management software take care of every thing.. my toshiba power utility once every few days switches to 'online discharging' mode even if pluged into power outlet, then it drains the battery and once its drains out it then switches back to batter charging mode.. so for newer models you don't need to worry much,the power management software would take care of every thing

batteries (esp. laptop batteries) die because of high temperature. a battery lasts longer if operated at lower temperature. They also retain charge longer if kept at lower temperature.

To prolong laptop battery life ull have to take it off if u use the AC power. heat of the processor and other stuff is enuf to cook it thru and thru.

If u want u can try it urself, use two sets of rechargable batteries. keep one in the referigerator (not the freezer!) and the other set out in room temp. then put the same load on both after a month or so. the referigerated ones def. last longer :)

I think i know the problem of your loptap, if the OS of that is Vista, you should regenerate the power supply of your loptap, how to do that? by simply finding in control panel the battery picture and then click and follow the set of rules, set the battery condition in low. but this is only my opinion because i encounter also same problem just like yours

My experience with 3 laptops: (Acer, HP, Gateway)

The more you operate a laptop solely on battery, the more its battery endurance decreases.

batteries (esp. laptop batteries) die because of high temperature. a battery lasts longer if operated at lower temperature. They also retain charge longer if kept at lower temperature.

To prolong laptop battery life ull have to take it off if u use the AC power. heat of the processor and other stuff is enuf to cook it thru and thru.

If u want u can try it urself, use two sets of rechargable batteries. keep one in the referigerator (not the freezer!) and the other set out in room temp. then put the same load on both after a month or so. the referigerated ones def. last longer :)

[/quote]

Are u sure? source?

and either it increase battry timing or just stop wear

[/quote]

Are u sure to keep it in referigerator? source?

and either it increase battry timing or just stop wear

This article on HP support site would help understand how to maximize battery life.

well Ahmad sahib i say this out of experience... its a tried and tested method :)

yes its true that unnecessary connection to direct power, decreases the life of your battery, may be these links can help me to clear my point

http://www.thenetworkadministrator.com/ExtendingLaptopBattery.htm

http://www.friedbeef.com/2007/07/01/top-15-ways-to-extend-your-laptop-battery-life/